PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on new tank design

Starry
09-21-2011, 12:52 AM
planning out a new tank I will be setting up next spring. This is my closed loop. Anything anyone would change or add?
The display itself will be 1/2" starfire on front, left and right panels. Standard 1/2 float on the back and a 3/4" bottom. Dual 1.5" dursos in the back corners.
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/uploads/2017/closed_loop.jpg
And this would be the 75G sump underneath it.
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/uploads/2017/sump9.jpg

Any input appreciated!

Myka
09-21-2011, 01:35 AM
So that's a manifold that will sit where or are those actually drilled in the glass? Is that a top down view or from the side? If that's top down you won't need two valves, just the one ball valve on the intake assuming the intakes are drilled on the bottom of the tank. Sorry, I'm not getting what's going on in your picture.

I personally am not a fan of manifolds. I figure you'd be better off drilling one intake, and 2 or 4 outlets using a 2 or 4 way OM. I like the water movement of that much better. Just my personal preference.

Starry
09-21-2011, 01:53 AM
Thanks Myka.
Its a front view. all holes are drilled. The valve and union after the pump is for when the pump gets removed for cleaning, and for any emergencies as the bulkheads are below the waterline. (dont want the lines to drain onto the floor) I want 2 intakes so as to divide the suction, and in case one gets plugged or something. As for the OM, can always add that later on if needed.
Also just found that this pump has a 2" input, not a 1.5" as it says on J&L's site. (have to call them and get them to fix that)

Myka
09-21-2011, 03:21 AM
Ah ok, then ya you need the valves then. I would save the money and buy true union ball valves instead of the ones you're picking out. I don't like the returns are the water surface...they won't do much way up there. They would do you more good closer to the sand.

Dez
09-21-2011, 03:24 AM
Agree with Mindy. If the water movement is spread all over it would be much better. That's the beauty of a closed loop. If they're all at the surface, most of the movement would get "sucked up" into your overflow.

mark
09-21-2011, 03:52 AM
CL with a OM device (http://www.oceansmotions.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=32&osCsid=6276e0327dbcbe6bd3ec43f6d4d54bbd) to mix things up (one here (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78524&highlight=velocity))

mseepman
09-21-2011, 09:27 PM
It looks good, but agree that an OM 4 way would do a great job of mixing it up more.

sphelps
09-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Would suggest larger bulkheads, 2" for suctions and 1" for returns. Also personally would put the CL returns in the base and the suctions on the back. A large advantage with CL is the ability to push water upwards in the tank, IMO not doing so would question why it's there in the first place. You're also wasting your time with a 3/4" base, this is the most supported part of the tank and if anything can be thinner than the front and back. My tank is 12mm on the sides and 10mm on the bottom. You're just adding weight and cost.

Lampshade
09-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Looks great!, the idea for larger holes is good, the larger the hole the less velocity the water will have getting sucked in, meaning it sucks in the least amount of "unwanted" stuff. And also, I've never heard of people saying they have too big of holes drilled in the tank, can always adapt down, can't open them up (easily). Definitely have ball valves and unions on both sides of the motor. Rarely needs to be serviced, but it'll be night and day how things go when you have them.( I don't, it sucks).

I have the exact same setup for a sump, the only thing i would add is a better way to hold filter socks in on the skimmer side. I don't always run them, but they are kinda jammed in there when i do. The other thing is possibly adding a 4th weir to the skimmer side(i imagine will have more flow?), or keep the ATO at the level you have in the pic, which is probably a better idea :D. My 1" waterfall from the skimmer weir into the return section causes lots of micro bubbles.

I like the dimensions for the display, little more shallow and wide than most, will make a great reef.

Myka
09-21-2011, 11:05 PM
I didn't even look at your sump design...what are you using the fuge for? Pods or macroalgae culture? I also suggest you do your baffles the other way - first and last one raised up, middle one on the bottom. The baffles don't have to be that tall either. If the water level is 8" make the baffles 10" or so.

Definitely have ball valves and unions on both sides of the motor.

Dood, use true union ball valves. Union and ball valve in one. Takes up less space and costs a tad less.

Lampshade
09-22-2011, 12:01 AM
Dood, use true union ball valves. Union and ball valve in one. Takes up less space and costs a tad less.

:O Magic! I didn't even know those existed. Thanks :D, i know what i'm doing for the next one.

Starry
09-22-2011, 01:55 AM
k, will do up some new diagrams tonight or tomorrow. The fuge is for both pods and macros...they kinda go together. Where can I find these union valves?...

Mindy, why reverse the baffles? wouldnt that suck any sand or anything outta the fuge area?

mark
09-22-2011, 02:22 AM
remember true union valves come apart so install in the right direction
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/valve.jpg

Starry
09-22-2011, 02:52 AM
Any one have a diagram on how to plumb a om 4 way so i have 4 outlets in front and 2 behind the rock work? also, aside from the price, whats the difference between a super squirt and a 4 way?

mark
09-22-2011, 04:21 AM
difference between squirt and 4way is the flow they can handle. Check OM Waterpix forum for CL layout ideas.

Starry
09-22-2011, 05:16 PM
OK, did a little more reading, and came up with this:
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/medium/flow_pic.png
(sorry,donno howto make it larger)
My only concern with this lay out is: Wont all the sand end up on the front pane of the glass? Should defiantly stop any detritus buildup. 4more outlets creating a reverse cycle would be awesome, but out of my price range. :sad:

Starting to think it would be less $ to get a wave box. :wink: But the idea is to keep the tank cluttered from equipment.

Thanks for the tips all. :biggrin: