PDA

View Full Version : Nori feeding tips?

Son Of Skyline
02-02-2004, 05:50 PM
Anybody have tips on better ways to feed nori? I tried using a veggie clip but within minutes the nori gets soft and breaks off the clip before the fish even notice it. Is there a better alternative to nori?

Thanks..

Delphinus
02-02-2004, 06:05 PM
There's a better way to feed nori. Take a small piece of 1/2" PVC or vinyl tubing or whatever, lengthwise should be about 1/2" the width of a piece of nori. Roll a half sheet onto the tube. Take an elastic and criss-cross it over the nori, holding it in place.

Your fish will be able to "graze" the nori but not really be able to tear it apart to bits.

If you use PVC, you should probably hang it off something. I use a feeder clip on the outside of the tank, and fishing line. Vinyl tubing, being flexible, can be squished into a feeder clip that you keep on the inside.

Might take them a couple of days to get used to feeding like this, but trust me on this one ... you will never look back. This is the WayToDoIt(tm). :biggrin:

Canadian Man
02-02-2004, 06:18 PM
That's the way I do it and it works great!

Buccaneer
02-02-2004, 06:23 PM
Me too :mrgreen:

Quinn
02-02-2004, 06:28 PM
Same. My tang is a champ, downs a sheet of nori in about five minutes! (Poops it out about 15 minutes later, damned short digestive tract.)

Arbee03
02-02-2004, 06:34 PM
I use a small cleaning magnet and rubberband(crisscross). This way, I can move it around the tank without having to put my hand in the water. I think I got the idea from this forum, that someone else had suggested I while back.

LostMind
02-02-2004, 06:44 PM
I soak my nori in garlic and selcon, then wrap it around a small rock with an elastic band and toss it in the tank.

I am using the rock to try and encourage my lawnmower blennie to eat the nori instead of just grazing the rocks and glass... but he hasnt caught on to the idea yet.

Son Of Skyline
02-02-2004, 07:14 PM
Great ideas everyone! I'll definitely give the criss-cross rubber band method a try :biggrin:

Thanks.

kari
02-03-2004, 04:35 AM
Put the nori in a folded peice of gutter guard and then into your clip (open ends of gutter guard into clip). Or you can purchase a new clip with the plastic mesh for a few dollars from a lfs.

StirCrazy
02-03-2004, 05:29 AM
Put the nori in a folded peice of gutter guard and then into your clip (open ends of gutter guard into clip). Or you can purchase a new clip with the plastic mesh for a few dollars from a lfs.

now thats the best idea I have heard yet for norie.. I have 50 feet of that plastic stuff.. why didn't I ever think of that :eek:

Steve

DiscusZ
02-04-2004, 06:19 AM
I do the same as Tony, except I drop my PVC Nori Feeder to the bottom of the tank, and everyone comes to feed (snails, crabs, fish, and sometimes my banded shrimp comes and tries to chase everyone away from it..