PDA

View Full Version : Fish wishlist checking

clowny
09-19-2011, 04:11 PM
Just some background before i list the fish. I recently purchased a 120 gallon (4x2x2) with a right side overflow. My sump will be a 30 gallon with a section for a skimmer, and the rest will be reef rubble (no macro or light). The tank will have about 150-200 pounds of live rock. It will initally be a FOWLR but turned into a reef after a year or so. I wont be setting this up until after January at the earliest so i thought i would start my research now. I was wondering if these fish would all get along and have enough space/food:
2 xBangaii Cardinals (male femal pair or babies)
2 x Clown (yet to decide exact type probably picasso or black snowflake)(male and female or 2 babies)
1x Fu Manchu Lionfish
2 x Blue Mandarin (male female pair)
and maybe some wrasses was thinking 2 or 3 maybe up to 5 from these species (1 of each type):
African Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
Orange - Back Fairy Wrasse
Whip Fin Fairy Wrasse
Leopard Wrasse (female only)
Linespot Flasher Wrasse.

Leah
09-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Might want to add more after the Lionfish is finished snacking. :wink:

Myka
09-19-2011, 04:33 PM
You won't be able to get a "pair" of young Banggai. Sexing is difficult when they are young.

I think you would be better off with a Fuzzy Dwarf lionfish. They have smaller mouths, and imo better personalities.

The wrasses you won't get to choose sex, other than buying females instead of males (if you choose), but dominant fish will become male. Consider a trio of the same species of wrasses, they are fun to watch. Pick a male and two females, one female will probably become sub-dominant male, and then the other will be super male. Super males often fade into sub-dominant males when they don't have any other of their specie around.

clowny
09-19-2011, 04:38 PM
Awesome advice will look into the same species of wrasse, as for the lionfish do dwarf fuzzy still eat the cleaner shrimps such?Hoping to have a wide variety of inverts (no hermits crabs but other crabs, snails, shrimp, clams, feather duster)

George
09-20-2011, 12:13 AM
Awesome advice will look into the same species of wrasse, as for the lionfish do dwarf fuzzy still eat the cleaner shrimps such?Hoping to have a wide variety of inverts (no hermits crabs but other crabs, snails, shrimp, clams, feather duster)

I wouldn't trust a lionfish (dwarf or not) with cleaner shrimps. If you see when a lionfish yawns or captures pray, you can't believe how big it can open its mouth.

ponokareefer
09-20-2011, 12:22 AM
I'd wait on the dwarf lionfish until your clowns have grown up a little as well if you start off with small clownfish. They will eat small clowns and they will eat cleaner shrimp.

ScubaSteve
09-20-2011, 12:24 AM
Ditto on the Lionfish. Skip it. It's too risky with those little wrasses around. Also, is your tank covered? Those flasher and fairy wrasses have a tendency to become airborne. Have you considered a harem of anthias (something like Pseudanthias squampini or P. bartlettorum)?

clowny
09-20-2011, 03:20 PM
1) OK so the Lionfish is out, as I definetly want some cool inverts and the person who wanted it doesnt want to feed it. So now I'm lookin for ideas on a fish that can be a show piece fish that will draw people to the tank so they can spot the clowns cardinals and manderins after they see the "cool one". I was thinking a Harlequin Tusk, as the show piece but have not heard any stories about it. I read it eats hermit crabs (which I'd have none) but nothing about shrimp or snails.

2) Also the tank is not covered right (euro braced) now but if i went the wrasses route I would put a cover on. I just havent decided how to make a cover if I go the wrasses route would egg crate block too much of the LED light (i am thinking a DIY LED fixture probably modular LED)? Or should i get a glass or acrylic piece cut and made.

3) I guess I should say that the Tank is going to be dominated by corals with blue coloration(can have other colors but must have blue on it ex. Pink birds nest blue polyps)of all kinds so the fish can be any color to really make them POP.This set up will be Skimmerless as well. Hence the low low fish count and tons of rock.

4) I dont know if it would be possible or even work properly but here was my idea for aquascaping please let me know if the rock would still function as a biofilter and for coral placement on the aquascape. I was thinking of ordering 200 pounds of rock rubble (maybe 150 and get 50 live braching or prime cut pieces) and making a giant ship aquascape. The ship would be the width of the tank (at its widest spot 2 feet) and the length of it (tip to tip 4 feet) and the exhaust stacks(would go to about 1 foot 6 inches) where as the deck of the ship yould be a foot high with holes on the sides and stairs ways on the deck so fish could go through and in the ship. Maybe not big enough for the show piece fish but definetly for the clowns manderins and cardinals. The ship would be hollow to allow swimming and hiding inside. I would piece this all together with a lot of rock and epoxy holidng it all together. The ship would probably have 2 or 3 stacks and be "halk sunk" in order to allove enough space for swimming and holes but also to have it stand upright by itself.

5) In relation to the aquascaping my flow will be 2x EcoTech Marine Vortech MP40 ES and some from a return pump from the sump but seeing as my sump will only have live rock rubble and maybe a DSB in it as well I dont forsee too much flow out of there. The sump will have 3 chambers 1 for overflow water to the sump 1 for LRR and DSB and 1 for return pump, no light for the sump as its main job is to produce PODS and Filter the water. any recommendation of Pump and chamber sizes? (30 gallon long tank 36x12x18)

6) Can Modular LED set ups do the sunrise and sunset effect from one side of tank to another while slowly increasing the intensity? I also would like to be able to program the lights to do cloudy days, storms, and such is this all possbile with them too? I would be buying the Dimming set up for the 4 foot tank and controller with needed addition for controller to control the dimming drivers.

I think that is all my questions for now.

PS this build is a 2-3 year project from now if not more due to house reinforcement (where tank will go) and honeymoons (yes more then one...) and schooling and renovations to increase house square feet for added bedroom and laundry room. Also probably adding a deck.

Myka
09-20-2011, 03:39 PM
1) A Harlequin Tusk is a lot like a Lionfish as far as predation goes. In my tank everyone notices the "cool clownfish"! The Picasso is much more popular than the Platinum in the non-reefing crowd. Yellow tangs really attract people (not me lol). A Blotchy Anthias would be a good pick, but they need to be fed several times per day. I think if you pick out some nice wrasses with bold colors they could be your eye-catching fish. If you have the money for a trio of Hooded Fairy Wrasse that could be VERY eye-catching.

2) I like screen covers like the ones available on BRS (you DIY them). You can buy the pieces from any hardware store, but I am not sure a local supplier of the clear screening. I don't like egg-crate lids...they block a lot of light.

3/4) That's a cool idea. Be sure you can get a siphon inside to suck out detritus or have a couple openings where powerheads can blow in one end and the detritus comes out the other end. Be careful when designing a system without a skimmer...you have to be able to keep the tank really clean manually - especially if you want SPS. Skimmerless SPS tank, not the best idea imo.

5) No skimmer and no macroalgae culture is not too brilliant on a tank that big imo. If you are planning a sump, why not plan macroalgae culture or a skimmer? Imo, pod culture in a sump isn't the best method. You're better off creating a safe pod reproduction zone within the display tank.

clowny
09-20-2011, 04:46 PM
1) damn those cool looking big fish who eat everything. Will take a look at the wrasses you said sounds cool :D (the show fish isn't my choice so the wife gets the say on it)

2) Hmm never heard of that before will have to check out all the local hardware stores if I go the wrasse/jumper route.

3/4) hmm never even thought of the detritus problem, thats why I ask the questions cuz there is always someone smarter and more on the ball then me out there... especially with fish. Will have to replan the aquascape. A Pod safe zone sounds interesting will have to do some research see what people are doing. As for Skimmer I have heard good and bad things in regaurds to a skimmer and SPS corals. Will continue to do reasearch, but based on all my readings of your threads I might have to go the skimmer route.

5) hmm good point I'll have only 2 source of nutrient export (if I go with dsb) I might put a macro in the display, but I'd have to find a real nice one to put by itself that's non invasive i really wish someone had a Saltwater Fern Plant for sale or even something blue I've never even heard of. The sump for my tank is really just for dosing, checking levels, heater and extra water volume and to hold extra live rock thats not needed. Might have to re-think the sumps usage....If i could grow some Blue ochtodes (blue ball macro) or some Blue scroll Macro or some Rose Petal Macroalgae. That'd be awesome for the sump. If I go macro in Sump do I even need chambers? if its only Rubble and macro? and how much light would you recommend based on which macro.