PDA

View Full Version : LF: 1-3/4" Glass hole saw (ScubaSteve trade)

ScubaSteve
09-19-2011, 06:24 AM
Ok, So I've been trying for about 3 weeks now to finish this tank build but the woman who runs Niki Glass has ****** up my order 4 times now and is slowing me down.

The issue I am facing at the moment is that she drilled the holes on my return at 1-1/2", not 1-3/4". This means I'll have to do 3/4" drains instead of the 1" I planned. I can't go back to this women again to fix her screw ups... I can't... I just can't. Everytime I talk to her it gets worse....

So I'm wondering if someone in the Vancouver area has a 1-3/4" glass hole saw that I can borrow for an afternoon to widen my holes? Or better yet, help me? I'll trade you a 6-pack of your favourite beer for your troubles.

PS. Do you think it's possible to redrill around an already cut hole?

reefwars
09-19-2011, 06:28 AM
Ok, So I've been trying for about 3 weeks now to finish this tank build but the woman who runs Niki Glass has ****** up my order 4 times now and is slowing me down.

The issue I am facing at the moment is that she drilled the holes on my return at 1-1/2", not 1-3/4". This means I'll have to do 3/4" drains instead of the 1" I planned. I can't go back to this women again to fix her screw ups... I can't... I just can't. Everytime I talk to her it gets worse....

So I'm wondering if someone in the Vancouver area has a 1-3/4" glass hole saw that I can borrow for an afternoon to widen my holes? Or better yet, help me? I'll trade you a 6-pack of your favourite beer for your troubles.

PS. Do you think it's possible to redrill around an already cut hole?

its def possible as ive done it its the vibrations you need to be carefull with and having a solid base for your glass.steady hands go a long way;)

ScubaSteve
09-19-2011, 06:34 AM
its def possible as ive done it its the vibrations you need to be carefull with and having a solid base for your glass.steady hands go a long way;)

Luckily, I've not built the overflow box yet (external overflow) so it's still just the small piece of glass that is the overflow box bottom. That'll make it easier, and if it breaks, no big deal... though I'll be kinda annoyed... :razz:

The other question is, and this is directed toward you Denny (and other tank builders and plumbing masters-alike)... could I get away with 3/4" drains in a beananimal configuration (1 full siphon, 2 back ups) and do 600 gph without too many issues?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-19-2011, 06:40 AM
3/4" returns is terrible. One little snail & oops, overflowing water on your floor.

ScubaSteve
09-19-2011, 06:55 AM
3/4" returns is terrible. One little snail & oops, overflowing water on your floor.

Ya, that's a little bit of my feeling too... then again, I have 3 drains.

Man, this woman is making this waaaay more difficult than this really should be.

reefwars
09-19-2011, 06:58 AM
Luckily, I've not built the overflow box yet (external overflow) so it's still just the small piece of glass that is the overflow box bottom. That'll make it easier, and if it breaks, no big deal... though I'll be kinda annoyed... :razz:

The other question is, and this is directed toward you Denny (and other tank builders and plumbing masters-alike)... could I get away with 3/4" drains in a beananimal configuration (1 full siphon, 2 back ups) and do 600 gph without too many issues?

not sure if one little snail is gonna block 3 different drains at different heights but weirder things have happened lol 600gph isnt alot of flow so im assuming your tank isnt that big right? i cant recall the size though i did read your journal ;) either way i think you would be fine with 3/4" but im a fan of 1 inch or bigger;p especially for the emergency drain. glad the build is getting done fun stuff eh minus other peoples mistakes and all lol

ScubaSteve
09-19-2011, 07:03 AM
not sure if one little snail is gonna block 3 different drains at different heights but weirder things have happened lol 600gph isnt alot of flow so im assuming your tank isnt that big right? i cant recall the size though i did read your journal ;) either way i think you would be fine with 3/4" but im a fan of 1 inch or bigger;p especially for the emergency drain. glad the build is getting done fun stuff eh minus other peoples mistakes and all lol

Ya, kinda my feeling on that too but also feel like I'm asking for trouble saying that. But I'm also at the point where I just... just don't give a ****. I'm getting tired of having to get things redone (not to mention the time and gas needed to drive 40 mins across town for the 5th or 6th time)

The tank is a 50G with a 15G sump... so, not huge. I'm running a Mag9.5 to two 3/4" returns. That should give me somewhere in the neighborhood of 560 to 600 gph.

reefwars
09-19-2011, 07:11 AM
Ya, kinda my feeling on that too but also feel like I'm asking for trouble saying that. But I'm also at the point where I just... just don't give a ****. I'm getting tired of having to get things redone (not to mention the time and gas needed to drive 40 mins across town for the 5th or 6th time)

The tank is a 50G with a 15G sump... so, not huge. I'm running a Mag9.5 to two 3/4" returns. That should give me somewhere in the neighborhood of 560 to 600 gph.

think of it as murphys law if theres a chance it can go wrong it prob will lol so as much as it sucks(no syphon pun intended lol) i would make the drive and get it done for 1 inch pipe, doing that now is alot easier than later and alot more peace of mind long term.patience is the key in the hobby so dont rush it maybe just next time your heading out that way bring it out to get done, if shes messed it up so many times already i would demand some money back untill im blue in the face lol im an ass like that lol:)i hate bad service like that and i chew the face off anyone i believe is messing up my order or anything im purchasing :):)

ScubaSteve
09-19-2011, 07:27 AM
think of it as murphys law if theres a chance it can go wrong it prob will lol so as much as it sucks(no syphon pun intended lol) i would make the drive and get it done for 1 inch pipe, doing that now is alot easier than later and alot more peace of mind long term.patience is the key in the hobby so dont rush it maybe just next time your heading out that way bring it out to get done, if shes messed it up so many times already i would demand some money back untill im blue in the face lol im an ass like that lol:)i hate bad service like that and i chew the face off anyone i believe is messing up my order or anything im purchasing :):)

Ahhhhhh frig... So, back to the search... I NEED A HOLE SAW!!!

Just a bit of a preview...
http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad114/Nergetic/327.jpg
http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad114/Nergetic/326.jpg

reefwars
09-19-2011, 07:31 AM
loving it man looks friggin sweet shes gonna be a beaut when shes done, take your time and get all the things that you want or could want ,think ahead and not to limit yourself that ways the tank can be used in any style you choose over the years:) stellar job bud:):)

2pts
09-19-2011, 08:10 AM
I bought my 1 3/4" hole saw at princess auto. It was under $20.

monocus
09-19-2011, 03:12 PM
i have a 2" or a 2 3/8. next size down isa 1 1/2

Davidbugera
09-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Princess auto 10 -18 buck each mine has cut about 14 holes already

mike31154
09-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Since you're widening existing holes, a Dremel tool or something similar with diamond burr bit might work as well. Needless to say, just make sure you've got a source of water for cooling while you're grinding away.

2pts
09-19-2011, 06:25 PM
If you are redrilling, my advice would be to predrill a piece of plywood with a 1 3/4" wood bit, clamp that piece of plywood to the front with the hole lined up where you want to drill your new hole. It will give your glass hole saw a guide so your not having it spin off and cracking the glass.

Clamp an undrilled piece of plywood to the back of the glass and dont forget the water running on the hole as your drilling.

ScubaSteve
09-20-2011, 05:30 AM
1 hole down, 3 to go. Thanks for the help guys!

reefwars
09-20-2011, 06:48 AM
your quite welcome buddy its more intimidating then it is hard:) goodluck and lets get that badboy built so we can see a fts:):)