PDA

View Full Version : anyone want a hitchhiker crab?

Samw
02-02-2004, 08:03 AM
I caught one of 2 hitchhiker crabs in my tank. I didn't even know I had this one until I found it in my cactus coral this evening. Anyone want it? This is the smaller of the 2 in my tank. I'm still trying to get the other one with the spikey shell.

http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/reef/Critters/HitchHikers/156-5680_img_crop_std.jpg

sumpfinfishe
02-02-2004, 02:26 PM
Sure Sam!

I'll take one of those nasty ones that has the two little aptaisa's on it's pinchers :mrgreen: :razz:

TNTCanada
02-02-2004, 05:02 PM
I'd take it if I could get it here. You want to put him in a envolpe and mail him lol :mrgreen:

hw
02-04-2004, 05:58 PM
i thought crabs are bad?

Quinn
02-04-2004, 07:18 PM
Bah. There is no such thing as bad in the animal kingdom, there is only survival.

Some crabs may consume desirable organisms ranging from microcrustaceans through to corals and fish, others may not. It is difficult for us as hobbyists to postively identify the majority of these hitchhikers. Some people feel that it is beneficial to remove such crabs regardless before they do any damage.

These animals do fine in sumps or overflows, and I think we at least owe this much to them. It's rather ironic that these creatures survive a trip of several thousand miles in a stuffy cargo hold only to be flushed down a toilet. Personally I have decided to leave all hitchhikers until I have evidence that indicates that they should be removed, in the tradition of due process (if Paul Bernardo gets it, why shouldn't a crab living in a hole with my blenny?).

Every macroorganism on the planet consumes other organic material to survive. It just so happens that some crabs have adapted to eat a wide variety of foodstuffs, and hence become a scapegoat when something goes wrong in someone's tank.

TNTCanada
02-05-2004, 03:54 AM
I agree with teevee that we should all do our part to help save any of these lost little hikers. Anyone on the Island have any hitch hikers send them my way I'll will give them a home.
Cheers