PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Question

HaZRaTTy
09-17-2011, 07:12 PM
I know there has to be posts out there about Lighting from eBay, I can't seem to grasp how these fixtures are to comparison from other Tek, and higher quality fixtures.

Here's the question if anyone cares to explain the difference I would LOVE to be educated.

Also question I'm setting up a 24'' Deep - 67G Reef - I'm looking to get into LPS and some SPS possibly. Would this fixture about enough juice to shoot enough light to the bottom for my tank.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/36-Metal-Halide-T5-HO-Lighting-Reef-Marine-Coral-406W-/110716554521?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c7388d19

Or should I look at a 2 MH t5 Setup.

I really like the lighting look of the MH's but have always been a T5 guy myself.

Also - If anyone has a MH setup for sale I would be very greatful if I didn't have to find a fixture and pay shipping :)

Also - question about flow and return - I believe I have 1.5 drain and 1.5 return into my 30G Sump for the 67G reef. What sort of pump am I looking around 1000GPH?

RDNanoGuy
09-17-2011, 07:43 PM
The fixture you have there looks like and ok unit but a few things to consider:

1. Cheaper mh fixtures usually come with inexpensive tar ballasts which are very inefficient and can lead to shorter bulb life.

2. The bulbs that are included with these fixtures are usually poor quality Chinese bulbs with bad color. Consider the added cost of purchasing some name brand high quality bulbs into your purchase price.

jorjef
09-17-2011, 07:51 PM
the tried and true " you get what you pay for" ring very true for low end priced goods. You may be happy early on but in the long run may wish you choose something else. Reality in this hobby is it's tough to go out and buy top of the line everything at the start but if you are thinking corals you may want to try when it comes to lighting.

mike31154
09-17-2011, 08:50 PM
If you're still in the setting up stage, might as well look at LED fixtures as an option. Just a guess here but I reckon in a few more years you won't see too many new MH/T5HO fixture combos for sale. If you're set on getting MH then I'd be looking at used units, there should be plenty out there and more as folks start switching to LED & sell off their MH fixtures.

daniella3d
09-17-2011, 08:52 PM
Do a search on Odeassy fixture as some are known to be a fire hazard.

I would go with www.fishneedit.com (http://www.fishneedit.com) instead as they get much better review and so far have not set fire to any house.

I read that quite a few Odeassy ballast cought fire or produced smoke and the owner was home and took care of it in time. I almost bought one and after reading about the fire hazard I decided to go with a Coralife instead. My next one is going to be the very nice fixture from fishneedit.com

I know there has to be posts out there about Lighting from eBay, I can't seem to grasp how these fixtures are to comparison from other Tek, and higher quality fixtures.

Here's the question if anyone cares to explain the difference I would LOVE to be educated.

Also question I'm setting up a 24'' Deep - 67G Reef - I'm looking to get into LPS and some SPS possibly. Would this fixture about enough juice to shoot enough light to the bottom for my tank.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/36-Metal-Halide-T5-HO-Lighting-Reef-Marine-Coral-406W-/110716554521?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c7388d19

Or should I look at a 2 MH t5 Setup.

I really like the lighting look of the MH's but have always been a T5 guy myself.

Also - If anyone has a MH setup for sale I would be very greatful if I didn't have to find a fixture and pay shipping :)

Also - question about flow and return - I believe I have 1.5 drain and 1.5 return into my 30G Sump for the 67G reef. What sort of pump am I looking around 1000GPH?

Wayne
09-17-2011, 11:34 PM
Do a search on Odeassy fixture as some are known to be a fire hazard.

I would go with www.fishneedit.com (http://www.fishneedit.com) instead as they get much better review and so far have not set fire to any house.

I read that quite a few Odeassy ballast cought fire or produced smoke and the owner was home and took care of it in time. I almost bought one and after reading about the fire hazard I decided to go with a Coralife instead. My next one is going to be the very nice fixture from fishneedit.com

This is true with the older fixtures. The newer fixtures have electronic ballasts that have the same reliablity as most name brand ballasts. I know of a few people that run the newer (at least 5 years now) ballasts without problem.

That being said I think with higher quality ballasts you get better, brighter colours out of your bulbs. A single mh should be enough over a 36" especially with 4 t5's aswell. I own the last generation of this fixture and its been good to me and I would buy again.

toytech
09-18-2011, 12:52 AM
I own a couple of Odyssey lights and i like them ( T5s) . The bulbs weren't fantastic as far as color , 10ks a little yellow but i took one out and put in a actinic and its way better. I got a 4 bulb 48inch light with moonlights, bulbs, separate ballasts all for $100 how can you beat that?

Myka
09-18-2011, 01:04 AM
Does your tank have trim on the top with a black plastic strip running across the middle of the tank? If so, one halide will make a big shadow where that strip is. If no strip, then one halide would be fine. I would either go with 2x150w or 1x250w. I think 2x250w would be too much heat to deal with on only 67 gallons. I have 2x250 over a 24" deep 90 gallon tank and there are few LPS that can handle the output...they are all off to the side in shady areas. Many of my SPS get bleached out if they are in the brightest areas too. A person doesn't have to light the crap out of the tank to get nice colors out of SPS. Water quality is more important.

Wayne
09-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Does your tank have trim on the top with a black plastic strip running across the middle of the tank? If so, one halide will make a big shadow where that strip is. If no strip, then one halide would be fine. I would either go with 2x150w or 1x250w. I think 2x250w would be too much heat to deal with on only 67 gallons. I have 2x250 over a 24" deep 90 gallon tank and there are few LPS that can handle the output...they are all off to the side in shady areas. Many of my SPS get bleached out if they are in the brightest areas too. A person doesn't have to light the crap out of the tank to get nice colors out of SPS. Water quality is more important.

OOOOO good call on the center brace!

HaZRaTTy
09-18-2011, 09:42 PM

Haha Yes my tank does have a center brace I completely over looked that thanks for the shining the "Light" in my eyes --- Ohhhhh the Irony......

I think that a 2-150MH's would be awesome. Just to find the retro kit. I could also just run one MH on one side of the Tank.. and run the T5's the length.

Thanks for ALL The replies guys!!