PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on New LED light for upgrade

Rice Reef
09-17-2011, 06:21 PM
Hate to do this but since I am moving and going to upgrade I am now considering joining the DARK side and going LED. I was certainly a strong supporter of MH but my new home may not allow me to have a heat pump and being concern with heat issues (I can go and get a chiller but with the price I am considering changing the lights instead) I may as well consider LEDs (to improve effic on energy cost and perhaps better growth???). I welcome your suggestions and comments on which LED would be most cost efficient but without compromising quality, support and room for upgrade.

Thanks

Wayne

jorjef
09-17-2011, 07:23 PM
That's like asking "what make of car should I buy" you will get such varied answers you will be more frustrated than when you started. Best to eliminate what won't work for you for what ever reason, price, options etc. and go from there.

Milad
09-17-2011, 07:53 PM
You are going to need to answer the following questions
Dimensions of tank
Corals you want to keep
Budget (mainly to know if you want to DIY or Premade fixture)

toytech
09-17-2011, 07:56 PM
The easy awnser is what is the best light you can afford? Or what is the best light your capable of DIYing . I dont think you can argue that crees arent where its at , but for myself im on a tight budget so im going with chinese leds ( best i can afford) and doing it myself . I think the diy option is the only way to go if you can because the savings are HUGE and the cusomiseability is so good.

Rice Reef
09-17-2011, 08:48 PM
That's like asking "what make of car should I buy" you will get such varied answers you will be more frustrated than when you started. Best to eliminate what won't work for you for what ever reason, price, options etc. and go from there.

You are going to need to answer the following questions
Dimensions of tank
Corals you want to keep
Budget (mainly to know if you want to DIY or Premade fixture)

The easy awnser is what is the best light you can afford? Or what is the best light your capable of DIYing . I dont think you can argue that crees arent where its at , but for myself im on a tight budget so im going with chinese leds ( best i can afford) and doing it myself . I think the diy
option is the only way to go if you can because the savings are HUGE and the
cusomiseability is so good.

It would be either the existin 90 or upgrade to 120 (four feet, two feet in height and looking for two feet in depth) Tank will be 90% sps and at this time cost is not an issue. I do really need the lightning effects but if it is there, fine.
It should be easily upgradable without buying a whole new set. I've been reading the several brands incl DIY LEDs but I have no working exp with them so I am looking for peole to share their experience ( +/- ) on their lights or knowledge of the LEDs on the market today.

Thanks

Milad
09-17-2011, 09:55 PM
well if money isnt tight, go get a several AI SOL nanos. They are using the best LEDs on the market right now and run some of the best numbers.

If you want to custom and got a couple hours to build your own then you are looking at about 10-15 Square inches per CREE LED (XP series, less if XM) for mainly SPS tank - Thats about 64 LEDs. If you go Chinese made ones you end up needing more to support the corals and more drivers/power. In the long run, the CREE are cheaper and pay for themselves.

To get a 14K look for a DIY, you want about 2:1 Royal Blue to Neutral White. Always pickup dimmable drivers so you can adjust your light to more blue or white. You can also do sunrise sunset if you get a controller which you can pickup for under $100.

Rice Reef
09-18-2011, 03:09 AM
well if money isnt tight, go get a several AI SOL nanos. They are using the best LEDs on the market right now and run some of the best numbers.

If you want to custom and got a couple hours to build your own then you are looking at about 10-15 Square inches per CREE LED (XP series, less if XM) for mainly SPS tank - Thats about 64 LEDs. If you go Chinese made ones you end up needing more to support the corals and more drivers/power. In the long run, the CREE are cheaper and pay for themselves.

To get a 14K look for a DIY, you want about 2:1 Royal Blue to Neutral White. Always pickup dimmable drivers so you can adjust your light to more blue or white. You can also do sunrise sunset if you get a controller which you can pickup for under $100.
Su

Why ai nano and not the sol and what is the price difference?

Milad
09-18-2011, 04:18 AM
Su

Why ai nano and not the sol and what is the price difference?

Nano has the new XM-l. Sol is good also. Either will work

Price difference is rather huge between ai fixtures and DIY. Probably 1/4 of the price for a DIY.

cale262
09-18-2011, 04:34 AM
I'm extremely happy with my pacific sun black python unit & my prometheus is also nice...really waiting to see the new ecotech product though...

lastlight
09-18-2011, 05:08 AM
The upcoming AI Phoenix uses the same diodes as the Nano. Sounds like a very bright fixture.

Rice Reef
09-18-2011, 09:54 PM
The upcoming AI Phoenix uses the same diodes as the Nano. Sounds like a very bright fixture.

Sounds like I should wait for the next couple months before making a purchase. I am def leaning towards the AI phoenix or the new ecotech radion. Oct should be an exciting month pour moi!

Thank you for suggestion, Brett