PDA

View Full Version : What type of foam should I use?

Rice Reef
09-17-2011, 05:23 PM
I am considering upgrading to a 120 gallon or greater reef tank ( looking for more depth than 18 inches) in the near future and planning to build a wooden cabinet to support this tank. Any advice and recommendations on the thickness and types of foam that is best to support the new tank?

Thanks

Wayne

Aquattro
09-17-2011, 05:26 PM
Wayne, I used 1/2" rigid insulation foam on mine, works well.

parkinsn
09-17-2011, 05:30 PM

+1

The pink stuff 1/2" has worked well for me in the past.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-17-2011, 05:52 PM
I use the 1" blue rigid foam from RONA. It's 2' wide (or thereabouts) and a much nicer colour than the pink stuff at HD. Rona is also Cdn:wink:

Rice Reef
09-17-2011, 05:55 PM
Brad,

Thanks! The upgrade may happen soon as I will moving and in process of buying a new home. I am finding that the 90 gallon just doesnt give me much to work with in terms of accomodating room for growth. After seeing your tank and am totally convinced that an upgrade will be a necessity so I am planning things out, tank, stand and even considering the new ecotech leds. Where would you recommend me to pick up the foam? home depot or one of the local plastic shops?

Aquattro
09-17-2011, 05:57 PM
Wayne, Home Depot, Rona, etc, are probably the most likely to carry it. It's a couple of bucks for a 2x8 sheet.

Rice Reef
09-17-2011, 05:59 PM
I use the 1" blue rigid foam from RONA. It's 2' wide (or thereabouts) and a much nicer colour than the pink stuff at HD. Rona is also Cdn:wink:

Is there a diff in using 1/2 or 1"? Thanks:smile:

Aquattro
09-17-2011, 06:01 PM
I don't think so, but the thinner is easier to hide. I'd use 1/4 if I could find it. You just want to absorb any imperfections in the tank/stand interface. I've used a foam underlay on my smaller tanks, works fine.

The Grizz
09-17-2011, 06:05 PM
1/2" pink from Totem is all I have used even under the 8'er. As long as your stand top is really smooth and flat 1/2" is more then enough IMO but if its some what wavy use thicker to compensate for that.

Rice Reef
09-17-2011, 06:06 PM
I don't think so, but the thinner is easier to hide. I'd use 1/4 if I could find it. You just want to absorb any imperfections in the tank/stand interface. I've used a foam underlay on my smaller tanks, works fine.

Brad,

Thanks! BTW, how's that Snappy violet digi frag doing? I also have a nice blue digi from Spencer and can drop a frag to you sometime during my move if you are still interested>

lmk :smile:

Wayne

Rice Reef
09-17-2011, 06:11 PM

+1

The pink stuff 1/2" has worked well for me in the past.

1/2" pink from Totem is all I have used even under the 8'er. As long as your stand top is really smooth and flat 1/2" is more then enough IMO but if its some what wavy use thicker to compensate for that.

Thanks guys! Appreciate your comments and suggestions! :smile:

:tea: