PDA

View Full Version : coral growth

cityreefer
09-17-2011, 02:55 PM
this is just what happens when i am up at 8:30am on a Saturday, i start over thinking :lol:
here we go
i have a red sea max 130, so 34gal altogether. i run the stock lighting 2 55wat compact t5's 50/50 i change them once every 10 months.
i do 10- 15% water changes once a week (instant ocean salt) and top up two times a week with a little fresh water about 1 gallon just to add some seachem reef builder. when i test it is all good kh,gh,ph,cal,mag, ammonia no3 and no2, phos
i feed my fish once a day and my frogspawn once a week.

i know my tank is not big but i would like to have my corals grow faster? is this a normal growth rate coral list below:
frogspawn
colt coral
finger leather
cabbage leather
pulsing Xenia
GPS
toadstool leather but this is just a frag so not worried about it yet.

any help would be great!!

ALang
09-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Time and patience.:biggrin:
Making sure your calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium is in balance.
Leathers and LPSs are usually really fast growers. Before you know it, you'll be fragging them off for the Frag Fest 4!

I don't target-feed my frogspawn. It gets whatever it can catch that drifts close to it when I feed the fish. And fish poop. Well, maybe sometimes when I add micro-foods like Acan-Plus to feed my Acans, it gets some by default.

Don't stare at the tank, either, it won't makr things grow any faster!LOL.

cityreefer
09-17-2011, 03:53 PM
lol thanks i will go do something to pass the time :lol:

spawn
09-17-2011, 04:22 PM
Get an ato, & try target feeding the frogspawn. Mine never grew much until I did, & hasn't grown much since I stopped, the same with my candy cane. & the ATO with help with further stability of your water parameters, as there will be fluctuations occuring if your only topping up twice a week.

kien
09-17-2011, 04:37 PM
What would you define as faster? That's relative as what you would consider slow growth others might consider it explosive growth :-)

Also, all corals grow at different rates and they all require slightly different conditions. As reefers what we constantly try to do is average everything out so that mostly everything in our tanks are happy. However, this doesn't mean that the conditions are exactly ideal for any one coral. The bottom line is so long as your tank is stable and you're doing your chores you just have to sit back and wait. And wait. And wait somemore :-). One day you'll F'ing yourself at a point where you wished your GSP and Xenia grew slower! Or better yet, stopped growing altogether :lol:

...seriously, damn GSP..

daniella3d
09-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Well 2 compact light are not much, especially if one is an actinic, not much remain.

I have a frogspawn in my 70 gallons at the bottom of my 250 watt metal halide and it grow very fast. I fragged it in July and it is due to be fragged again because it is even bigger than it was in July. I think mine double in about 2 months.

As for the xenia, it was growing insanely fast and I finally got rid of it because I had to split it and throw some in the garbade every 2 or 3 weeks.

Green star polyps also grow very fast and can sprea over other coral.

When you way your parameters are all ok, what exactly are they? What is the nitrate level? Small aquariums can have a very unstable environment and corals must constantly ajust to survive, never mind growing.

this is just what happens when i am up at 8:30am on a Saturday, i start over thinking :lol:
here we go
i have a red sea max 130, so 34gal altogether. i run the stock lighting 2 55wat compact t5's 50/50 i change them once every 10 months.
i do 10- 15% water changes once a week (instant ocean salt) and top up two times a week with a little fresh water about 1 gallon just to add some seachem reef builder. when i test it is all good kh,gh,ph,cal,mag, ammonia no3 and no2, phos
i feed my fish once a day and my frogspawn once a week.

i know my tank is not big but i would like to have my corals grow faster? is this a normal growth rate coral list below:
frogspawn
colt coral
finger leather
cabbage leather
pulsing Xenia
GPS
toadstool leather but this is just a frag so not worried about it yet.

any help would be great!!