PDA

View Full Version : helping a stranger.

luvthereefer
09-17-2011, 02:46 AM
So, as you can see im very new to this site! and saltwater aquaria.

but i jumped at the oppurtunity to get a 125 gallon setup at an amzing price.

its FOWLR

we went and moved it, nut now i need help setting it all up.

canister filter, hob protein skimmer etc.

all the water and fish are in 45 gal drums right now.

I would LOVE some advice or suggestions.or even someone in the area to help me through it.

luvthereefer
09-17-2011, 02:53 AM
sorry forgot to hi my name is matt, nice to meet yall, and thanx in advance.

ALang
09-17-2011, 02:51 PM
Welcome to Canreef!
You will have fun here, and learn lots.
Just ask specific questions and you'd get answers.

The best advise I had: start and go SLOWLY...until your tank is well established. You might want to toss the canister filter, as well.

ALang
09-17-2011, 02:54 PM
Oh yeah, for a FOWLR, you may want to add on a sump with a serious skimmer, unless you are one of the rarer type who has restraint when it comes to buying and stocking fish. Or are willing to do large amounts of water changes once a week. Which could get expensive.

So have you set up the tank, etc yet??

Myka
09-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Welcome to the board!

If you haven't set the tank up yet get it drilled and install a sump! A 125 is rather big to be operated by a hang on skimmer. You're better off selling the hang on skimmer and canister filter and using the money for a sump and a better skimmer. EuroReef, Skimz, Vertex, SWC, Bubble King...all good skimmers at different price points.

Ask at J&L Aquatics about someone who can drill your tank for you and install an overflow. I'm sure they can help you out. Renee is very helpful there. Jeff is usually too busy to help (lol). I'm not sure who else works there these days.

The fish will be fine in the drums provided you do water changes to keep the water from fouling. Just add a heater and powerhead to move the water and they will be fine for several weeks if need be. Get yourself a SeaChem Ammonia Alert badge for each drum. They work really well. Use SeaChem Prime if ammonia shows up. Keep an eye out for fish beating eachother up...best off to separate the fish into calmer ones and feisty ones. You can add PVC elbows and pipe for them to hide in. Or do you have the live rock in there for them? If the rock is in there...even better because it will help greatly to filter the water.

monocus
09-17-2011, 04:09 PM
i can drill your tank for you-as long as it's not tempered

Myka
09-17-2011, 10:28 PM
Check the brand of the tank to figure out if it is tempered or not. Usually if anything it's just the bottom, but you never know.

luvthereefer
09-17-2011, 11:52 PM
nice to meet you all!!
we have a a truck with a power-tailgate, and we were able to pump out 90% of the water into 45 gal drums.
live rock and fish in one drum.

so everything is all back together now, except the hob skimmer is not setup yet(needs one helluva cleaning) , the sand needs vacuuming really bad, and im sure the xp4 is pretty damn dirty too.

what should i make priority to clean first?? skimmer or filter??
and just part of the filter now then wait a while then do the other part??

funny part is , i have no idea what kind of fish i have!!!

ALang
09-17-2011, 11:58 PM
DO NOT REUSE YOUR LIVE SAND AFTER YOU HAVE DISTURBED IT!!:surprise:

Unless you have rinsed the heck out of it to use as dead sand later on, even then, I'd worry that you will foul your water later!

You can see if there are a few hobbyist that you can invite over to check on the type of fish you have. So GO SLOWLY!

ALang
09-18-2011, 12:10 AM
Yeah, I'd turf the HOB skimmer and the XP canister filter. Sell them.
Get your tank drilled if you can, or maybe use on of those overflow box like I have to bring water into your sump. Oh, and get yourself a sump. 30 gallons and up. Bigger the better. Get a good sized skimmer.

You have any of the live rocks left??
You may have to be extra stingy with feeding your fish right now... less food, less poop, less fouling while in their temporary home.

Keep a power head going in the drum, and a heater set at 76. Lower temps may help with the oxygen levels of the drum, which does not have a very good ratio for gas exchange. Throw an air stone and air pump in there, too, if you can beg or borrow one. The turbulence that the bubbles create can help gas exchange in a crowded situation.

When you have the names of the fish, and how many, post here ASAP so we can see whether you may need to split the fish up into another drum or clean garbage can.

Do a water change, you may have enough fouling in those drums by now.
Good luck. Hope you find an experience Buddy to help you transition into this in a smoother way.

luvthereefer
09-18-2011, 12:51 AM
tank is back on the stand, water, sand, rock, fish etc. all back in tank in original water

anybody ever have stray electrical current in their tank, its only when i stick my hand in the end near the heater and powerhead,, but i also get tingly when i touch the extension cord that its plugged into??

not sure whats goin on, but im goin extension cord/powerbar shopping lol

Myka
09-18-2011, 12:51 AM
You made a boo boo putting the sand back in the tank. If I were you I would remove the rock and HALF the water, put it into a Rubbermaid tub (whatever you have on hand) with a heater and powerhead. Toss the remaining water, and the sand, or keep the sand in a bucket and use it later (like years later). Get the tank drilled, then put the water and rock in, top up with new saltwater. Wait a few days, put a few fish in, wait a few days put a few fish in, etc. In a couple weeks put new (very well rinsed) sand in the tank. Turn pumps off, gently lower sand in. It will look like a tornado for a day or two. Won't hurt the fish. I like fish last because when rocks are disturbed they always lose a bunch of crap and you're better off siphoning it out than having it get stuck in the sand.

The reason you don't want to reuse sand is because there will be anaerobic areas in the sandbed where Hydrogen sulfide may abound and if those parts of the sand are reused you will poison the inhabitants.

DO NOT REUSE YOUR LIVE SAND AFTER YOU HAVE DISTURBED IT!!:surprise:

Yeah, I'd turf the HOB skimmer and the XP canister filter. Sell them.
Get your tank drilled if you can, or maybe use on of those overflow box like I have to bring water into your sump. Oh, and get yourself a sump. 30 gallons and up. Bigger the better. Get a good sized skimmer.

You have any of the live rocks left??
You may have to be extra stingy with feeding your fish right now... less food, less poop, less fouling while in their temporary home.

Good advice!