PDA

View Full Version : Unclesalty's 180 Gallon Tank Build Thread

unclesalty
09-15-2011, 04:22 PM
Coming soon will be Unclesaltys 180 gallon tank build. Just waiting for a few more items to arrive and deciding on an overflow system but I am almost positive its going to be the bean animal as its super quiet which is going to be a priority for this tank with quiet high end equipment.

unclesalty
09-15-2011, 05:04 PM
So far my equipment list is going to consist of:
4 Ecotech Radions
Bubble King Supermarine 200
ATB Flowstar 1800
2 mp40's and possibly adding a 3rd down the road.
Controller -I haven't decided on yet

unclesalty
09-15-2011, 06:57 PM
So far my equipment list is going to consist of:
4 Ecotech Radions
Bubble King Supermarine 200
ATB Flowstar 1800
2 mp40's and possibly adding a 3rd down the road.
Controller -I haven't decided on yet

For controller I was originally going to go with a Profilux but have been reading about a new controller and by the sounds of it the Profilux will be moved down in the pecking order after its release. I am definately going to wait and see the details!

freezetyle
09-15-2011, 07:20 PM
For controller I was originally going to go with a Profilux but have been reading about a new controller and by the sounds of it the Profilux will be moved down in the pecking order after its release. I am definately going to wait and see the details!

are you thinking about the vertex?

mseepman
09-15-2011, 08:05 PM
If you are thinking vertex...it was awesome to play with at MACNA. Now if they price it within reason.

unclesalty
09-15-2011, 08:07 PM
are you thinking about the vertex?

I will have to find article again and reread it. It never mentioned the name "Vertex" but maybe it was just Vertex's model name?

kien
09-15-2011, 08:07 PM
I love me some build threads with high end equipments :-D

:pop2:

unclesalty
09-15-2011, 08:12 PM
How was the Vertex in comparison to the Profilux? Never owned any type of controller yet myself here. Everyone seems to say controllers are "must haves"

Myka
09-15-2011, 09:47 PM
Everyone seems to say controllers are "must haves"

If they are must haves, I would have one. Many people think smart phones are must haves. Controllers are pretty nifty though - especially if you take advantage of all the equipment that work in conjunction. Controllers that work in conjunction with smart phones are nifty x2. ;)

Parker
09-15-2011, 10:19 PM
I have to say I love my controller. Makes life a lot easier ( for me at least ) Every piece of equipment I have is tied into mine.

My next project is to tie in a 12v remote trigger from my home theater. Press BluRay and my lights shut down, 2 of my three pumps shut down, wavebox shuts down. It will all come back up on it's own once I shut the amp down again..

Pretty neat toys if you take full advantage of them.

unclesalty
09-16-2011, 01:58 AM
If they are must haves, I would have one. Many people think smart phones are must haves. Controllers are pretty nifty though - especially if you take advantage of all the equipment that work in conjunction. Controllers that work in conjunction with smart phones are nifty x2. ;)

The thought of checking water parimeters and also doing a water change via the press of a button on my iphone definately sounds too cool not to check out!

Myka
09-16-2011, 02:14 AM
That would definitely be nifty.

lastlight
09-16-2011, 03:06 AM
http://www.genesisreefsystems.com/categories.php?cat=7

unclesalty
09-16-2011, 04:38 AM
http://www.genesisreefsystems.com/categories.php?cat=7

Awesome and thanks for the link as I will definately take my time and check out all available options

unclesalty
10-27-2011, 01:28 AM
TANK BUILD UPDATE
Plumbing fittings arrived from my FlexPvc order with JHammer a few weeks ago.
Par Meter arrived today -Not impressed with my Halide par readings at all!
Glass drill bits should be here anyday
Glass for overflow is being ordered tomorrow.
Ecotech Radions (4) I found out were shipping out today from the US so it won't be long!

Myka
10-27-2011, 03:04 AM
What halide setup were you testing? Age of bulbs?

unclesalty
10-27-2011, 03:11 AM
Tested the Coralife Aqualight Pro 2x150w that I am currently selling. Bulb age is unknown but are now almost a year old for sure. Thats the first thing that came to my mind was how old are these bulbs actually??? Tomorrow I will test my Aqua Illumination Sol Blue

Myka
10-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Ah, yeah...you gotta test something more impressive to be impressed. A low watt entry level fixture with old bulbs isn't going to blow the doors off. Which PAR meter did you buy? I have always wanted to buy one, but have yet to make the splurge.

unclesalty
10-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Ah, yeah...you gotta test something more impressive to be impressed. A low watt entry level fixture with old bulbs isn't going to blow the doors off. Which PAR meter did you buy? I have always wanted to buy one, but have yet to make the splurge.

You are probably rights its a combo of old and only 150watt bulbs. I ended up buying an Apogee mq200 which seems to be the most popular unit. I am really interested in comparing the Aqua Illuminations and the Ecotech Radions.

unclesalty
12-26-2011, 05:41 AM
Picked up my glass for the overflow a few days ago but can't get the silicone I want right now so might have to order it. Internal overflow is 48"x4"x6" and taped together just for the pic.

Bblinks
12-26-2011, 07:40 AM
Alright buddy, let the game begin. Can't wait to see some pics. Let me know when it's all set up, I'll mail you some frags to get things rolling.

unclesalty
12-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Alright buddy, let the game begin. Can't wait to see some pics. Let me know when it's all set up, I'll mail you some frags to get things rolling.

Sounds good but from what I seen of your other tank and your new tank I think its game over for unclesalty before it even begins! lol Thanks for the frags offer too and I will take you up on them this time when I'm ready to go!

unclesalty
12-27-2011, 08:19 AM
Since I didnt have the silicone that I need to put together the overflow I decided to drill the tank tonight instead. Decided to try using a guide hole so bit doesn't bounce around on startup and it worked excellent. Still need to order another bulkhead.

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/unclesalty2011/IMG_2880.jpg.

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/unclesalty2011/IMG_2881.jpg

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/unclesalty2011/IMG_2883.jpg

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/unclesalty2011/IMG_2884.jpg

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/unclesalty2011/IMG_2885.jpg

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/unclesalty2011/IMG_2893.jpg

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/unclesalty2011/IMG_2898.jpg

Skimmerking
12-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Nice i like it clean drilling :mrgreen:

unclesalty
12-28-2011, 12:49 AM
Nice i like it clean drilling :mrgreen:

It could of been a bit cleaner as I did get some chipping on one of the 1 holes edges. Probably lousiest hole I've ever drilled! :redface:

unclesalty
01-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Internal overflow construction started today. The GE1200 does seem more like an "adhesive" rather than a sealant like I have used before. Very little ordor also is a huge bonus.

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/unclesalty2011/IMG_2900.jpg

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/unclesalty2011/IMG_2902.jpg

unclesalty
01-04-2012, 12:07 AM
I did screw up in the previous pics by putting both ends on first but it all worked out. Deciding now whether to cover overflow with a thin black acrylic or just wait and let it eventually cover up with coraline algae.

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/unclesalty2011/IMG_2903.jpg

Brightwhite
01-04-2012, 12:28 AM
Love me some pics! Lookin good!

j_hammer
01-04-2012, 12:30 AM
looking good, my 230 still isnt going yet hopefully soon, when do you plan on having yours going.

unclesalty
01-04-2012, 04:18 AM
looking good, my 230 still isnt going yet hopefully soon, when do you plan on having yours going.

Thanks Brightwhite and JHammer! Tank should of been going months ago but..... it shouldn't be long now. Only thing I am not looking forward to is the actual changeover as the 180 is going exactly where my 120 is sitting right now.

unclesalty
01-07-2012, 06:48 AM
Overflox box is done and now ready to be attached to the tank. Hard part is getting it perfectly level and at the right height. I have decided its going to be lowered a bit from whats seen in the pic

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/unclesalty2011/IMG_2907.jpg

lockrookie
01-07-2012, 06:57 AM
your up late lol cut two boards identical at the height needed to set in place. once the silicone is set on edges you can continue with the rest.

unclesalty
01-07-2012, 07:01 AM
your up late lol cut two boards identical at the height needed to set in place. once the silicone is set on edges you can continue with the rest.

Ya up late racking my brains on tank ideas! lol Thanks for the tip as I think I might try that and I also was thinking of using a spacer between glass center brace and top lip of overflow

lockrookie
01-07-2012, 07:06 AM
yeah me too brain is going overtime since i am not able to start building till it warms up .. im jealous lol.. yuor better off leveling from the bottom the bottom willbe more true than the top plastic edge that may not be seated 100 percent flush. the bottom of the tank sits flat and your stand will be level. it will be themost accurate imo. but either way may work.

unclesalty
01-07-2012, 07:11 AM
yeah me too brain is going overtime since i am not able to start building till it warms up .. im jealous lol.. yuor better off leveling from the bottom the bottom willbe more true than the top plastic edge that may not be seated 100 percent flush. the bottom of the tank sits flat and your stand will be level. it will be themost accurate imo. but either way may work.

I actually have a week or so to get it figured and levelled as now I have decided to go through rather than over for the returns so waiting on drill bit and bulkheads that I ordered today.

lockrookie
01-07-2012, 07:17 AM
thats cool i have no drill bits yet still undecided on size of hole i wish to drill and how many lol

looking good thus far bud

unclesalty
01-07-2012, 07:24 AM
thats cool i have no drill bits yet still undecided on size of hole i wish to drill and how many lol

looking good thus far bud

Thanks Jeff!
I do have a used dull 40mm so its time to buy a sharper 38mm saw which will fit a 3/4 bulkhead a bit better

lockrookie
01-07-2012, 07:35 AM
sharp is best lol u used a dremelbit and ground the holes bigger slowly onthe 50.. took awhile i think illtry thr holesaw way this time tosave time drilling 4 holes total hopeits not too many in a 2 foot span

unclesalty
01-07-2012, 07:44 AM
sharp is best lol u used a dremelbit and ground the holes bigger slowly onthe 50.. took awhile i think illtry thr holesaw way this time tosave time drilling 4 holes total hopeits not too many in a 2 foot span

I just buy the cheap disposable holesaws. Drill a few holes then throw it away. lol The actual real good quality glass holesaws are very pricey to buy.

lockrookie
01-07-2012, 07:55 AM
where are you getting them from if you dont mind my asking.

unclesalty
01-07-2012, 09:16 PM
where are you getting them from if you dont mind my asking.

I buy mine off of ebay. The one I bought yesterday was $6.00 w/free shipping so you can't go wrong! Last one I bought I got 6 holes out of it so a $1.00 a hole. Drill a hole for only a $1.00!! LOL

unclesalty
01-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Lockrookie's idea worked excellent and the overflow box top edge is 100% perfect down to the exact mm!

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/unclesalty2011/IMG_2913.jpg

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/unclesalty2011/IMG_2916.jpg

unclesalty
01-23-2012, 04:17 AM
Overflow is now complete but still waiting for the 3rd bulkhead to arrive which should be anyday now and also still waiting for the drill bit for returns. Deciding also whether to use a gate valve or a ball valve on the siphon as they both have their pros and cons.

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/unclesalty2011/IMG_2918.jpg

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/unclesalty2011/IMG_2920.jpg

lastlight
01-23-2012, 05:14 AM
Besides some extra cost what disadvantage would a gate valve possibly have? I use them on my herbie and on each outlet on my manifold. Love the control they allow over a ball valve.

unclesalty
01-23-2012, 05:27 PM
Besides some extra cost what disadvantage would a gate valve possibly have? I use them on my herbie and on each outlet on my manifold. Love the control they allow over a ball valve.

I totally agree that the adjustabilty of a gate valve is excellent unlike a ball valve which is terrible. Only problem with gate valves is their not as durable as ball valves from what more than one person has said. 1 yr to 1-1/2 yr sometimes I have heard which would suck to have to replace. It sounds like the salt gets in the stem seal which causes them to leak. I would much prefer a gate valve as the siphon adjustment can be touchy I've heard but 1yr-to 1-1/2 yr thing kind of shys me away from them. How long have you had yours for? Other opinions?

kien
01-23-2012, 05:33 PM
I totally agree that the adjustabilty of a gate valve is excellent unlike a ball valve which is terrible. Only problem with gate valves is their not as durable as ball valves from what more than one person has said. 1 yr to 1-1/2 yr sometimes I have heard which would suck to have to replace. It sounds like the salt gets in the stem seal which causes them to leak. I would much prefer a gate valve as the siphon adjustment can be touchy I've heard but 1yr-to 1-1/2 yr thing kind of shys me away from them. How long have you had yours for? Other opinions?

The gate valve on my 150g reef is coming up on 3 years. The one on my FOWLR is 2 years old. So far so good. And ya, it would really suck to have to replace them.

unclesalty
01-23-2012, 05:37 PM
The gate valve on my 150g reef is coming up on 3 years. The one on my FOWLR is 2 years old. So far so good. And ya, it would really suck to have to replace them.

Do you open and close it on a regular basis or does is it just stay open? Bean animal and Uncleof6 from RC were 2 of the people that said not to go with a gate

kien
01-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Do you open and close it on a regular basis or does is it just stay open? Bean animal and Uncleof6 from RC were 2 of the people that said not to go with a gate

On mixed reef with the 3 year old valve I open and close it fully maybe once a month. I like to do this to flush any crud that may have collected in there. I probably adjust the valve (minor adjustments), every couple of weeks to re-adjust the water level in the overflow. Although many times this just leads me to opening the valve fully to flush it anyway and then re-adjusting the water level.

As for the 2 year old valve on my FOWLR, that sucker gets opened weekly with every water change (or two weeks if I'm being lazy). It is part of my water change system so gets opened and closed quite a lot.

unclesalty
01-23-2012, 05:59 PM
On mixed reef with the 3 year old valve I open and close it fully maybe once a month. I like to do this to flush any crud that may have collected in there. I probably adjust the valve (minor adjustments), every couple of weeks to re-adjust the water level in the overflow. Although many times this just leads me to opening the valve fully to flush it anyway and then re-adjusting the water level.

As for the 2 year old valve on my FOWLR, that sucker gets opened weekly with every water change (or two weeks if I'm being lazy). It is part of my water change system so gets opened and closed quite a lot.

5 years between 2 of them sounds pretty convincing! A person could put in a ball valve also I guess for water changes but I wouldn't bother with that. Are yours sched 40 or 80? What brand are they? Do you know what your gasket type is on yours?

kien
01-23-2012, 07:23 PM
5 years between 2 of them sounds pretty convincing! A person could put in a ball valve also I guess for water changes but I wouldn't bother with that. Are yours sched 40 or 80? What brand are they? Do you know what your gasket type is on yours?

Well, I wouldn't suggest that my experience is the norm :-) Just my experience with them.

Sched 40 on both. No idea what brand. Just grabbed it out of a box of valves from my LFS <blatant_plug>Red Coral Calgary </blatant_plug>. I have no idea what gasket type, sorry.

Bblinks
01-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Well, I wouldn't suggest that my experience is the norm :-) Just my experience with them.

Sched 40 on both. No idea what brand. Just grabbed it out of a box of valves from my LFS <blatant_plug>Red Coral Calgary </blatant_plug>. I have no idea what gasket type, sorry.

All dark grey valves are sched 80 I believe. Darryl, I would definitely use gate valve over ball valve but just make sure you get the one with threaded ends so you can replace them if need to be.

Tanks is coming along nicely dude, I can't wait till you get some water in that mother. Tank is gonna look awesome with those radions.

unclesalty
01-23-2012, 11:38 PM
All dark grey valves are sched 80 I believe. Darryl, I would definitely use gate valve over ball valve but just make sure you get the one with threaded ends so you can replace them if need to be.

Tanks is coming along nicely dude, I can't wait till you get some water in that mother. Tank is gonna look awesome with those radions.

Yes you are correct Rich usually the sched 80 is grey and sched 40 is white. Sched 40 can also be special ordered in grey from some places I've seen too. Usually I prefer the socket weld ends on fittings for less chance of a leak but the threaded ends on the gate valve for replacement is an excellent idea! I bet your tank looks awesome too with 9 friggin AI'S !!!

unclesalty
01-24-2012, 06:04 AM
I just checked now and PVC sched 40 normally in white can be ordered in Black or Clear as well as Grey.

unclesalty
01-24-2012, 04:26 PM
Decided to go with a gate valve and ordered a Spears Sched 80 which is a good brand to buy that have been around for years and repair parts should always be available one would think.

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/unclesalty2011/Gate-Half-2.jpg

unclesalty
01-25-2012, 08:43 PM

Thanks to all for steering me towards using a GATE VALVE instead of a ball valve. I found out today repair kits can be bought from Spears to fix leaking stem seals so thats a huge bonus. The gate valve can be fixed/repaired inline without even removing it from the system also.

lastlight
01-25-2012, 09:16 PM
I haven't had any system running for much longer than a year so I can't comment on their durability but looks like you chose already anyways! Mine have all been sch 80 and as you discovered if you purchase the deluxe models you can get at the insides to make repairs. I opted to save a few bucks this time but mine would be no big deal to replace entirely.

unclesalty
01-31-2012, 02:56 AM
Drill bit finally arrrived today(3 weeks later) but for only $6, shipping included delivered to my door I will take it! I won't bother with showing more drill pics but will show pic when I am done drilling in next day or so.

unclesalty
02-01-2012, 05:03 AM
Return holes are now drilled and vinyl background is on. I had to do it in 2 pieces as I didn't have a 6ft piece of vinyl. If I could do it again I would of spray painted back of tank in garage before I took it downstairs. No biggie though as the coraline will cover it in time anyhow. I still have to drill and tap the cap on the open channel standpipe and then it should be ready to fill with some RO reject water to clean and rinse tank out!

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/unclesalty2011/IMG_2934.jpg

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/unclesalty2011/IMG_2935.jpg

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/unclesalty2011/IMG_2936.jpg

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/unclesalty2011/IMG_2937.jpg

Skimmerking
02-01-2012, 02:43 PM
looks good man

unclesalty
02-01-2012, 05:03 PM
looks good man

Thanks Mike, it would look good if it wasn't so blotchy like as seen in pic by left return outlet. It actually looked better with the vinyl just taped on as I think I used too much water applying it. Deciding now on whether to be picky and replace it or just leave it be and let it get coralined up. Next up also is a decision on the widely debated, tank - styrofoam - plywood issue. So many different opinions on that one.

lockrookie
02-01-2012, 05:14 PM
personally for the tiny bit of cost go styrofoam.. the tank i picked up had the plastic trim and they didn't use styrofoam one part of thier basement shifted while the other stayed inplace droping a corner thus the cracked payne i have to replace before i can truly start building. in my opinion over kill is better than a cracked tank.

unclesalty
02-01-2012, 05:43 PM
personally for the tiny bit of cost go styrofoam.. the tank i picked up had the plastic trim and they didn't use styrofoam one part of thier basement shifted while the other stayed inplace droping a corner thus the cracked payne i have to replace before i can truly start building. in my opinion over kill is better than a cracked tank.

Yes styrofoam is cheap but some say it does more harm than good and some say its a must! My tank is a flat bottom with trim around the bottom and the bottom pane is flush with the side panes. The stand is the AGA pine stand with the open top where the tank sits on top around the perimeter only. No middle supports whatsoever. Styrofoam still you think?

p.s. If you are replacing your bottom pane I would go thicker than your side panes. Also maybe check into getting it tempered because as ridiculous as this sounds some tempered glass was cheaper to buy than regular glass when I was checking around for my overflow glass.

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/unclesalty2011/IMG_2942.jpg

lockrookie
02-01-2012, 06:04 PM
the bottom pane is good its the front diplay pane that broke i could get tempered for that i suppose i have to go down to my glass shop and see what they can do for me hopefully at the end of this month.

but as i said it was just my thoughts and beliefs..my tank is identical to yours in the way its built. as well your basement is newer and most likely wont shift like the guys i got the tank from he lived in an older neighbourhood. and your floor is fairly solid no major cracks.so in your case either ay should work fine.

Bblinks
02-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Looking good bud. The tank is drilled super clean, love it.

unclesalty
02-01-2012, 11:10 PM
the bottom pane is good its the front diplay pane that broke i could get tempered for that i suppose i have to go down to my glass shop and see what they can do for me hopefully at the end of this month.

but as i said it was just my thoughts and beliefs..my tank is identical to yours in the way its built. as well your basement is newer and most likely wont shift like the guys i got the tank from he lived in an older neighbourhood. and your floor is fairly solid no major cracks.so in your case either ay should work fine.

You are laughing then as the front pane is way easier to change then the bottom pane! Too bad you didn't see the guy in Regina selling the tank with a broken front pane for only $50. I went and looked at it but the very corner on bottom pane had a chip so I passed on it. Might of been a good deal for constructing something with the 2 ends and side pane depending on how old and brittle the glass was.

unclesalty
02-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Looking good bud. The tank is drilled super clean, love it.

Thanks Rich but I am not sure if I like my blotchy background yet! I wish I would of just taped the vinyl on. Spray painting wasn't an option being only a few feet away from my 120.

unclesalty
02-01-2012, 11:17 PM
I think my next step might be to take the stand out to the garage for a splash of fresh paint.

lockrookie
02-01-2012, 11:23 PM
You are laughing then as the front pane is way easier to change then the bottom pane! Too bad you didn't see the guy in Regina selling the tank with a broken front pane for only $50. I went and looked at it but the very corner on bottom pane had a chip so I passed on it. Might of been a good deal for constructing something with the 2 ends and side pane depending on how old and brittle the glass was.

i cant complain i got this tank for 150 :biggrin:

unclesalty
02-01-2012, 11:31 PM
i cant complain i got this tank for 150 :biggrin:

No you can't complain for that price. And for $200 total you would of had a 180g!!! Too bad I didn't buy it because it would still probably be sitting in my basement unused and I could of sold the pane to you cheap!

lockrookie
02-02-2012, 12:04 AM
No you can't complain for that price. And for $200 total you would of had a 180g!!! Too bad I didn't buy it because it would still probably be sitting in my basement unused and I could of sold the pane to you cheap!

new pane is 150 with my discounts so ill still have a 180 for 300bucks cept im making changes doing euro brace.. still i love the pricing sttill need to make a few extra bucks and room in house to work lol. im Aiming for wet works by sept.

and will reuse the broken pane for the overflow...im eco friendly im recycling glass lol

unclesalty
02-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Thanks Rich but I am not sure if I like my blotchy background yet! I wish I would of just taped the vinyl on. Spray painting wasn't an option being only a few feet away from my 120.

Update: The blotchy background has now disappeared, which was moisture still underneath the vinyl which had to evaporate. The background now looks awesome and much nicer than any paint does. Never again will I ever paint a tank!

unclesalty
02-08-2012, 06:55 PM
Update: My gate valve arrived yesterday and I ordered my 5 bags(150lbs) of Tropic Eden substrate today. I decided to go with the Reef Flakes(on the right) over the Mini-Flakes as they are the most popular and Reef Flakes won't get blown around by MP-40's. Also I asked about the Vertex Cerebra controller and when its being released and they had no idea whatsoever. It doesn't sound like it will be out on Feb 16th like I heard but I am in no hurry anyhow for it.

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/unclesalty2011/tropic-eden-sand-comparison.jpg

Coralgurl
02-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Are you doing a deep sand bed? I bought 135lbs of sand but only ended up putting in 95 lbs as it gave me the 1 1/2 inches I was looking for. I bought the CaribSea Aragonite Special Grade sand.

thegecko
02-08-2012, 08:24 PM
When is this beast going to be up and running, Darryl?

unclesalty
02-09-2012, 12:43 AM
Are you doing a deep sand bed? I bought 135lbs of sand but only ended up putting in 95 lbs as it gave me the 1 1/2 inches I was looking for. I bought the CaribSea Aragonite Special Grade sand.

My plan is to go with a shallow bed approx 1-1/2 inches also. I probably only needed 3 or 4 bags but thought I would buy extra as you can't find it in Canada. Also I wanted to have extra onhand and maybe for a possible frag tank later down the road. I orginally was going to go with the Caribsea but decided to go with the brighter+whiter Tropic Eden. Everyone who buys the Tropic Eden seems to really like it too from what I've read so.....

unclesalty
02-09-2012, 12:52 AM
When is this beast going to be up and running, Darryl?

I am guessing in the next few weeks or possibly even after my Cuba trip as I am not sure I wanna set up a tank then take off right away on holidays. For sure I will let you when it is done so you can stop by and check it out!

dreef
02-09-2012, 01:43 AM
Thats a no brainer Daryll ...i've never been anywhere...well no place worth mentioning.I go to cuba..you get that tank fired up. Deal ?? i'll even frag some of my most treasured acropora.

unclesalty
02-09-2012, 02:19 AM
Thats a no brainer Daryll ...i've never been anywhere...well no place worth mentioning.I go to cuba..you get that tank fired up. Deal ?? i'll even frag some of my most treasured acropora.

I think I will have to pass on your offer but thanks anyhow! lol I haven't been anywhere either so I can hardly wait. Could of went to Bahamas last winter with wife but I passed and told her "you go with your friends and I will stay home and buy a skimmer instead" A good skimmer is more important than a trip to Bahamas if you ask me. :biggrin:

lockrookie
02-09-2012, 02:31 AM
your on crack.. i had a chance to live in turcas y caicos for a year while my father did renovations on a relatives home.. all expence paid whilei was in high school. my father turned it down..i was not happy like really live on a beach for a year vs sask winters...i will never forgive him lol

unclesalty
02-09-2012, 02:40 AM
your on crack.. i had a chance to live in turcas y caicos for a year while my father did renovations on a relatives home.. all expence paid whilei was in high school. my father turned it down..i was not happy like really live on a beach for a year vs sask winters...i will never forgive him lol

The original trip that I refused was to Mexico then they ended up going to Bahamas- I got scammed lol
Turks and Caicos is on my "trip list" one year. It looks beautiful there.

lockrookie
02-09-2012, 02:43 AM
teenager horemones beaches and bikinis.. i was choked.. you will have a great time wear clothing stating your canadian.. you will be treated like royalty..wear nothing usa lol.

unclesalty
02-09-2012, 02:49 AM
teenager horemones beaches and bikinis.. i was choked.. you will have a great time wear clothing stating your canadian.. you will be treated like royalty..wear nothing usa lol.

Yes I would of been choked also!