PDA

View Full Version : Breaking news: Another confirmed sighting (peppermints on octospawn)

Palmer
09-15-2011, 02:58 PM
I think I had read in another thread someone saying that their peppermints were snacking either on their Hammers or Frogspawn. And a big discussion as to whether they are actually peppermints vs Camel shrimp.

Last night I flipped the lights on in my basement after all was dark and saw one of my peppermints snacking on my octospawn. No significant damage that I can tell but I took it out and put it in my frag tank. Seem's fine today.

My tank has been free of visible Aptasia since buying the peppermints and I have checked the stripe pattern against what camel shrimp look like and they are peppermints. (Plus I got them from a local reputible source :lol:)

It aggravated me a bit as I really like this octospawn in the display but hey what are you going to do, I am not going to catch the shrimp and struggle with aptasia again...

Palmer

fishytime
09-15-2011, 04:11 PM
Well in all fairness, peps are known to occasionally snack on more than just aptaisia:wink:

Palmer
09-15-2011, 04:47 PM
Fair comment :biggrin:

Yes it would seem so. It was a matter of debate in a post not too long ago so I thought I would tilt the scales to peppermints are indeed evil :twised: lol j/k

naesco
09-15-2011, 05:31 PM
Fair comment :biggrin:

Yes it would seem so. It was a matter of debate in a post not too long ago so I thought I would tilt the scales to peppermints are indeed evil :twised: lol j/k

What are you feeding them before you go to bed?
If they have polished off all your aiptasia and there is nothing else they need something to eat.

MarkoD
09-15-2011, 05:33 PM
If they have polished off all your aiptasia and there is nothing else they need something to eat.

I haven't fed any of my shrimp in 8 months.... And they've never touched my frogspawn or torch

Palmer
09-15-2011, 05:48 PM
I haven't fed any of my shrimp in 8 months.... And they've never touched my frogspawn or torch

Are you sure? I would have said the same thing until I checked on them in the middle of the night :lol:

shrimpchips
09-15-2011, 05:49 PM
Peppermints will eat all sorts of inverts - I have had many that will go around the tank reaching into feather duster tubes (literally up the their "elbows") to get at the tasty treat inside, or catching a pod here and there and munching on it. I don't keep many LPS, but I wouldn't be surprised to find them snacking on them if there isn't much else for them to eat.

Palmer
09-15-2011, 05:54 PM

I have never target fed my peppermints. They essentially stay out of sight during the day. They occasionally come out to grab something I feed the fish but that's not an everyday thing.

naesco
09-15-2011, 05:58 PM
I have never target fed my peppermints. They essentially stay out of sight during the day. They occasionally come out to grab something I feed the fish but that's not an everyday thing.

Thats why they went after your octo. Drop a few shrimp pellets in after dark and they should leave your coral alone.

Palmer
09-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Thats why they went after your octo. Drop a few shrimp pellets in after dark and they should leave your coral alone.

Thanks I'll try that out for a few days then put the coral back in and see.