PDA

View Full Version : kick ick and protien skimmer

martym
02-01-2004, 08:28 PM
I'm trying Kick Ick. It say that it will work better without a protien skimmer. I'm thinking of leaving the skimmer off during the day and turning it on at night. Or should I leave it off for the 14 days of treatment. What does everyone think?

Samw
02-01-2004, 09:05 PM
Ick is pretty hard on a fish's respiratory system. If the skimmer is your only source of aeration, I would leave it on.

martym
02-01-2004, 09:21 PM
No it's not. I have a Fluval 304 ( no carbon), 2 802 PH's a mag7 return from sump. On a 75g tank with built in Overflow.

Beverly
02-01-2004, 09:23 PM
I had no luck with Kick Ick in my display tank and fish had ick about 10 days into treatment. At the outset of treatment, I even increased the dosage slightly and dosed 3 days apart. No skimmer on that tank, only PHs. Another local reefer used it in her reef and her fish continued to have ick during treatment.

Here is a RC thread from 1999 on Kick Ick:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6307

The manufacturer wrote extensively about his product on the thread, which is why I tried it. However, ime, it was a waste of $50 :frown:

I'd like to hear about your experience with Kick Ick once you've tried it, though. If you could keep a log of how much you dose, when you dose, if you continue to use your skimmer, etc. the shared experience will be helpful to others when deciding to use Kick Ick.

martym
02-01-2004, 09:57 PM
Alright I will.

props
02-01-2004, 11:04 PM
i've tried kick ick when i got that naso tang from you marty
it didn't work on the 4 fish that was infected
i went the cheap way instead of buying garlic extract i just used regular garlic.. chopped them up into tiny pieces n sqeezed the juices out, had to add a lil bit of water then soak all the food i was feeding the tank
it took 9 days to get rid of the ich
=o)

martym
02-01-2004, 11:10 PM
I guess the $26 I spent on the kick ick was a waste :mad: Like that has never happened to me before in this hobby :rolleyes: I will try it for the full 13 day at the increased level of doseage no skimmer and see what happens. I don't want to try anything else during this time so i know excatly what is going on. if it doesn't work I might disconect the sump from the main tank and put the fish in there and hit them with copper. Yes, and leave them out of the main tank for 6 weeks. :smile:

BCOrchidGuy
02-01-2004, 11:55 PM
A Mag 7? Wow thats a great pump, I bet you got a good deal on it too huh.... :mrgreen:

To bad about the Kick Ich, I used greenex but it really bothered my polyps and Xenia, nothing else seemed to mind it. But it sure made a mess with my skimmer.

Doug

martym
02-02-2004, 01:08 AM
ProPs, I just re-read you response. You mean the Tang I sold you had Ick??? OMG I'm so sorry why didn't you say something?. None of my other fish were infected at that time. That must have been what, 4-5 months ago.

BCOrchidGuy, yeh great deal :cool: Once I replaced the housing I cracked it worked great. Thanks again.

props
02-02-2004, 02:53 AM
no it didn't have any ich when i got it from you
i think it got stressed out when i transferred it to my tank
=o)
its doing awesome now
come by see it sometime

aussiefishy
02-02-2004, 03:25 AM
i used kick ich. i have to say it is not the most cost effective way to treat ich, but it works on my tank... but i have to use 115-125% of recommanded dosage and 1.5 cycle (21 days). In the process, skimmer/carbon off and a few inverts die. so it is not completely reef safe.

i change water more than enough (33 gallon every 2 weeks ) so organics are not a major problem for me..

i have heard from others that if the infection is too large (epidemic) then kick ich is not very effective... it is kinda like a auxillary insurance against the ich population, so far i tried it and it is ok. it is always better off buying a quarantine system, or administer copper in hospital tank, leave tank fallow for 30 days.

hope it helps,

Willito
02-06-2004, 05:09 PM
I've used Vitamin C in the past and has worked incredably well for me as an ICK preventative when first introducing fish into tank or when signs of ICK is present. Pure vitamin C (without additives) are naturally found in fish food, algae, etc., so it's not a foreign chemical to fish/invertabrates at all, and reef safe. With the use of Vitamin C, it heightens the fish's immunity system to produce thick and more affective body coating(slime) to protect the fish. Also increases the fish metabolism and many other benifits I am sure. It's so effective that you can see the result of the Vitamin C working in just a few hours.

If anyone who is interested in this, PM me and can explain in more details.

Will

martym
02-06-2004, 11:23 PM
Where do you get pure Vitamin C from?

Quinn
02-06-2004, 11:31 PM
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2003/feature.htm

martym
02-06-2004, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the link TeeVee.