PDA

View Full Version : Can any one help name this coral

jimbog
09-15-2011, 01:40 AM
Hi everyone i just bought a bunch of great peices from a friend that is down sizing. The move when well but my friend was unable to tell me the name and orgin of this coral. I have placed it in the top part of our tank and it is doing very well but, i am unsure of its requirements for space and light ,food. ect,, pls help before i do something iam not supposed too:lol:

viperfish
09-15-2011, 01:42 AM
Do you have a picture to share?

spawn
09-15-2011, 01:49 AM
Is it an A. millepora

The Grizz
09-15-2011, 01:55 AM
I would name it Spike :surprise:

Aquattro
09-15-2011, 02:08 AM
I would name it Spike :surprise:

That was gonna be my pick. Especially for a millipora!

Aquattro
09-15-2011, 02:09 AM
Do you have a picture to share?
Ya, we're going to need to see a pic of it to be accurate :)

The Grizz
09-15-2011, 02:19 AM
That was gonna be my pick. Especially for a millipora!

Great minds think alike :wink:

jimbog
09-15-2011, 04:49 AM
some one told me catspaw ?? i dont think it is

Mechaninano
09-15-2011, 04:53 AM
I would guess maybe galaxy?

Starry
09-15-2011, 04:58 AM
Gonna say pagoda.

jimbog
09-15-2011, 04:59 AM
take a close look ant the macro pic "the close up one" it doesnt hsve the cloved look but then again im the one asking right . is ther anything els it could be ???

BMahura
09-15-2011, 05:05 AM

I would agree with mechaninano and say a galaxy

Mechaninano
09-15-2011, 05:06 AM
does it have "sweeper tentacles" that come out (they sting)

The Grizz
09-15-2011, 05:25 AM

Not a Galaxy, this is mine
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/GRIZZtheWELDER/Corals%20and%20Fish/GalaxyCoral.jpg

Gonna say pagoda.

Not a Pagoda either
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/GRIZZtheWELDER/Corals%20and%20Fish/98716cd7.png

I can't think of the name or find it ATM but I have something the same in my frag tank that is green & also have a small piece that is the same color.

ScubaSteve
09-15-2011, 05:47 AM
Yar, that be a Hydnophora sp. I don't have my books near me at the moment (by which I mean I am too comfy in bed to get my arse up) so I can't give you the exact species but I can assure you it's a hydnophora. If my memory serves me correct, it's probably H. bonsai but could potentially be H. pilosa or H. excesa. Cant say without seeing the skeleton with the polyps closed.

Feed it once or twice a week and it'll grow like a bugger. It is actually an LPS even though it looks like an SPS, so think of it's care more like an LPS. Be careful not to bleach it if you've thrown it up near the top of the tank right away if your lights are brighter than your friend's lights. The coral isn't exactly known to play nice with others, so give it some space until you figure out its "personality" (whether its a bit more mellow or a total spaz that tries to kill everything nearby).

The Grizz
09-15-2011, 05:54 AM
Yar, that be a Hydnophora sp. I don't have my books near me at the moment (by which I mean I am too comfy in bed to get my arse up) so I can't give you the exact species but I can assure you it's a hydnophora. If my memory serves me correct, it's probably H. bonsai but could potentially be H. pilosa or H. excesa. Cant say without seeing the skeleton with the polyps closed.

Feed it once or twice a week and it'll grow like a bugger. It is actually an LPS even though it looks like an SPS, so think of it's care more like an LPS. Be careful not to bleach it if you've thrown it up near the top of the tank right away if your lights are brighter than your friend's lights. The coral isn't exactly known to play nice with others, so give it some space until you figure out its "personality" (whether its a bit more mellow or a total spaz that tries to kill everything nearby).

That the name I was trying to remember.

reefwars
09-15-2011, 05:55 AM

hahah yar lol

fishytime
09-15-2011, 05:57 AM
dont put it anywhere near anything you value.......hydnophora pack an incredible sting and will win most, if not all battles

jimbog
09-15-2011, 08:14 PM
thank you all that posted in a timely fashion i have moved and fed this coral acordingly ... you guys rock:biggrin: also here is a pic of the new corals all tucked in place

Haloreef
09-15-2011, 08:50 PM
Carefull where you put that sucker It grows as fast as GSP. (Green Star Plague) but has a sting like Giant Hairy mushrooms. I picked up a tiny electric green frag and within a year the thing was half a foot accross in every direction and killed and digested every thing around it. It took forever to kill it off.
Be prepared to trim that thing down for the rest of your life, or think twice about keeping it.
I am not saying it's not a nice piece, just that it can grow like a weed.
Happy reefing!
Keith.

madkeenreefer
09-15-2011, 09:21 PM
My money is on Hydnophora pilosa

The Grizz
09-15-2011, 10:08 PM

I would say circle get the square, here a web pic
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/GRIZZtheWELDER/80fef09e.jpg

delo978
09-15-2011, 10:53 PM
I'd say galaxy as well

The Grizz
09-15-2011, 11:54 PM
I'd say galaxy as well

You would be wrong then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madkeenreefer
09-16-2011, 01:43 AM
I would say circle get the square, here a web pic
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/GRIZZtheWELDER/80fef09e.jpg

So you agree then? or am I missing something:neutral:

The Grizz
09-16-2011, 10:26 AM
So you agree then? or am I missing something:neutral:

AGREE :biggrin:

jimbog
09-16-2011, 06:52 PM
The GRIZZ is the winner >>>> cool thanks buddy

Matman
09-17-2011, 02:01 AM
Hydnophora! Those are apparently VERY aggressive. They can kill pretty much any neighbors at a pretty good range.

The Grizz
09-17-2011, 02:12 AM

I would say that MKR is the winner, he/she came up with the name ID I just supplied the pic. :biggrin: