PDA

View Full Version : Lighting under canopy

Wayne
09-15-2011, 12:39 AM
What do you guys with canopys do for lighting, fixtures or retro-fit kits?

I was in the process of gutting a fixture and building bracketry to fit it under my canopy but lord is it time consuming. I am just wondering if theres a better way :biggrin:

Myka
09-15-2011, 12:44 AM
I'm using PFO pendants for reflectors. I just screwed through them into the top of the canopy (the reflectors are mounted into the pendants with screws, take them out and you can screw through the reflector and pendant without making any new holes). I use Tek retrofit kit for T5 supplementals.

Aquattro
09-15-2011, 12:46 AM
Lumenarc reflectors screwed into the top of the canopy.

Wayne
09-15-2011, 01:01 AM
Do you guys have fans in your canopys with the MH?

Myka
09-15-2011, 01:08 AM
I use Jebo fans. They are cheap, so when they get all gummed up with salt creep a person doesn't get too excited about it. :lol: They come in 2, 4, and 6 fan. Move lots of air. Really good buy imo. My canopy is open in the back and the fans are clipped on the back rim and blow down on the water. I can feel the air movement coming out the top of the front of the canopy. One 4-fan makes a 3 degree difference on my tank. The Jebo fans can be taken right apart to clean too.

http://seasunaquarium.com/home/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/2e08397c1ee79624b2a2a7df2ae55416.jpg

mark
09-15-2011, 01:10 AM
also running PFO pendants under a canopy using some phenolic sheet to stand the pendants and T5 reflectors off the wood for a thermal break but basically lights are just screwed in.

One side of the canopy I'm blowing air up from the basement and a small fan blowing out on the other.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/t5_2.jpg

Parker
09-15-2011, 01:24 AM
Lumenarc reflectors screwed into the top of the canopy.

400's right? No heat issues with the reflectors right against the wood?

ponokareefer
09-15-2011, 02:04 AM
I have a Coralife Aqualight Pro 48" 150W MH fixture on legs under my canopy. I have eurobracing that the legs sit on. I just installed 3 fans from newegg.ca to my canopy to get the heat down.

Aquattro
09-15-2011, 02:05 AM
400's right? No heat issues with the reflectors right against the wood?

Right, and no. I've run this setup for years. 10hr light cycle with 1/2 painted ply. Some slight staining after a few years at best..

Aquattro
09-15-2011, 02:06 AM
Do you guys have fans in your canopys with the MH?

Yes, I have 2 4" fans blowing in and one exhausting. Just high output computer fans, maybe 50CFM?

cwatkins
09-15-2011, 02:34 AM
I have a Coralife Aqualight Pro 48" 150W MH fixture on legs under my canopy. I have eurobracing that the legs sit on. I just installed 3 fans from newegg.ca to my canopy to get the heat down.

I have the retrofit of this kit (but in 250W) mounted in my canopy. The kit came with a 4" fan to install in the canopy but I just bought 2 of the Ultra-quite 4" fans from NCIX and mounted them in to the outside of the canopy over a couple of holes. They face the wall so you cannot see them, and they do a really good job keeping the lamps cool and temperature down.

When I switch to LED this fall/winter/spring I hope to be able to cut out the use of the fans except for in the summertime to keep the temperature perfectly stable.

Wayne
09-15-2011, 02:39 AM
I installed some cheap fans in my old canopy and it was just too loud to have on when I was home. I think for sure I am going to put some fans in this canopy, just gotta find something quiet :lol:

ponokareefer thats a good idea setting it on the bracing, thats what I was really wondering about it I got another fixture :wink:

ponokareefer
09-15-2011, 03:10 AM
These are the fans I went with:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185057

Decent air flow and you can't hear a thing. I wish I had done this before. It dropped my tank temperature down just right.

This fixture is under 48" long so it fights inside a hood easily.

MarkoD
09-15-2011, 12:41 PM
i use a fixture with my canopy.... 4x250 watt so it gets pretty hot.

i installed 2x 4" computer fans that blow into the canopy. (lowered water temp by 4ºF)

MarkoD
09-15-2011, 12:41 PM
I installed some cheap fans in my old canopy and it was just too loud to have on when I was home. I think for sure I am going to put some fans in this canopy, just gotta find something quiet :lol:

ponokareefer thats a good idea setting it on the bracing, thats what I was really wondering about it I got another fixture :wink:

if you're gonna use computer fans. i have 12V DC power supplies if you need

Wayne
09-16-2011, 03:14 AM
if you're gonna use computer fans. i have 12V DC power supplies if you need

Perfect I will contact you as soon as I get this built (hopefully I will have enough time this month)