PDA

View Full Version : Please help ID this nem....

martialid10t
09-14-2011, 03:25 AM
This little nem was hiding in a clown tank at King Ed's in Burnaby.

Think it was a recent arrival and nothing was written on the tank nor could I get a definitive answer... http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif

I think it's a young green bubble-tip but I'm too much of a noob to be certain. http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Can anyone chime in?

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y358/martialid10t/nem1.jpg

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y358/martialid10t/nem2.jpg

fishytime
09-14-2011, 03:29 AM
circle gets the square!......a BTA it is.....

martialid10t
09-14-2011, 03:42 AM
circle gets the square!......a BTA it is.....

Thank you kindly :biggrin:

martialid10t
09-14-2011, 03:54 AM
Now that we've figured that out, here's a few quick questions:

What's a good photoperiod for slow and steady growth? She's in a 14G biocube stock PC lighting (1 x 10K 24W / 1 x Actinic 24W).
Why does she close up whenever my perc clown makes contact?

I run my lights at 10 hours with the actinic phasing in 30 mins before and after.

Plan to pick up silver sides as a supplement. Does this work with standard green BTA's?

fishytime
09-14-2011, 04:12 AM
with PC lighting your probably gonna want to try and get the nem up high.....the LFS probably should have cautioned you about trying a nem under PC.......may be enough.....not sure........your nem is probably reacting to the clown that way because it is still adjusting to your tank....silversides will likely be to large of a food item......plankton/mysis or krill would be a better choice.....once or twice a week would be more than enough......your clown/s will likely end up bringing it food....

Money pit
09-14-2011, 04:22 AM
That guys pretty bleached. It probably wont get much nutrition from the lights until it colors up again. The best idea would be to feed it often. Pureed in a blender is the best way to go, once its colored up, then feed once or twice a week. As was stated, PCs aren't much light, hopefully it will move up on its own, but if not you may want to move him. Also BTAs like to put their foot down in a crack, or between 2 rocks. If you offer a spot like that up high, he might stay where you put him.

martialid10t
09-14-2011, 04:26 AM
with PC lighting your probably gonna want to try and get the nem up high.....the LFS probably should have cautioned you about trying a nem under PC.......may be enough.....not sure........your nem is probably reacting to the clown that way because it is still adjusting to your tank....silversides will likely be to large of a food item......plankton/mysis or krill would be a better choice.....once or twice a week would be more than enough......your clown/s will likely end up bringing it food....

Love this forum! Yea they didn't caution me but I went in after doing ze homework and felt I could give it a decent shot as I'm sitting at the 4 WPG line. I've also got a retro fit kit that I've been putting off but should probably get to it this weekend.

Funny though, I initially placed the nem up high in a nice rock wedge but it moved itself down to halfway instead.. :puppydog: Been settled there for a week ever since...

Thanks for the heads up on the mysis too!

apexifd
09-14-2011, 05:17 AM
Love this forum! Yea they didn't caution me but I went in after doing ze homework and felt I could give it a decent shot as I'm sitting at the 4 WPG line. I've also got a retro fit kit that I've been putting off but should probably get to it this weekend.

Funny though, I initially placed the nem up high in a nice rock wedge but it moved itself down to halfway instead.. :puppydog: Been settled there for a week ever since...

Thanks for the heads up on the mysis too!

typical for a new nem. they will keep on moving until they fine that perfect location.

martialid10t
09-14-2011, 07:06 AM
That guys pretty bleached. It probably wont get much nutrition from the lights until it colors up again. The best idea would be to feed it often. Pureed in a blender is the best way to go, once its colored up, then feed once or twice a week.

Yea unfortunately I think that LFS didn't give it much time, if any, to settle before selling it. It was in a tank full of around 20 juvie percs and tucked under a rock to get away from them i guess. A little color's coming back after a week so I guess we'll see.

Should I bother pureeing if I feed mysis?

Here's the plan: powerhead off, target feed mysis with tongs or baster, repeat once daily til lime green color returns to zoos. Reduce feedings as color returns.

Sound about right?

typical for a new nem. they will keep on moving until they fine that perfect location.

Yea I think it found it's sweet spot but what's confusing me is I had a nice higher up rock wedge that it attached to first day then over-night it moves to a similar rock wedge but lower... The powerhead is nowehere near it either and it's wrapped with a filter bag. It's also tilting away from the light... oh well, so long as it's happy there i guess. :doh:

Money pit
09-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Should I bother pureeing if I feed mysis?

Here's the plan: powerhead off, target feed mysis with tongs or baster, repeat once daily til lime green color returns to zoos. Reduce feedings as color returns.

Part of the idea behind pureeing, is to make the food easy to digest saving energy that can be used to recover. But Mysis is pretty small, so it probably wont make much difference. The rest of the plan sounds good, just keep an eye on the water quality. All the feeding is going to push your No3 up, so you may have to add water changes until you begin feeding less.

Myka
09-14-2011, 02:27 PM
with PC lighting your probably gonna want to try and get the nem up high.....the LFS probably should have cautioned you about trying a nem under PC.......may be enough.....not sure........

I wish you were more definitive with your answer so I could DISAGREE with you! :twised:

You can keep BTAs under VHOs. You just gotta feed them lots. Food makes up for light. BTAs are the only "big" nems that this is true for. However, lots of food means lots of waste, and they tend to foul up small tanks much quicker. Better off with lots of light and little food.