PDA

View Full Version : Naso Help

bkelly
09-14-2011, 01:41 AM
My Naso seems to be al of a sudden thin. Hes spitting out his food and refuses Nori - usually the first to take it. for food i feed a combination of new life pellet and flake and ocean nutrition 2 flake plus mysis , starting twice a day, was doing once/day. I hadnt noticed his weight drop but now it concerns me, any advice on what he may go for or what i can do, im gonna feed him as much as he will take. hes just not as aggressive, kinda not right.

fishytime
09-14-2011, 03:02 AM
how long has he been acting like this?

bkelly
09-14-2011, 03:12 AM
only just noticed it this weekend , i was away and come home sunday thats when he seemed off. he sure looks thin. I had some cyano grow up over the weekend, had done a 20% water change before i left, the skimmer was fine and i tested last night for nitrate and ammonia there was none detect, my pH is 8.3 and KH 9 , salinity 2.025 im going to do a water change tonight again, not sure if thats it , all other fish are fine , corals seem ok. I think maybe its cause i was only doing once a day feedings, although he was eating wekk last week and always the first fish to greet you, now hes looking thin and spits out what he eats. my other tangs are fat. the tank volume is 180 gal, ive had the fish 4 months , he was an adult i got from a friend shutting his system down.

naesco
09-14-2011, 03:46 AM
only just noticed it this weekend , i was away and come home sunday thats when he seemed off. he sure looks thin. I had some cyano grow up over the weekend, had done a 20% water change before i left, the skimmer was fine and i tested last night for nitrate and ammonia there was none detect, my pH is 8.3 and KH 9 , salinity 2.025 im going to do a water change tonight again, not sure if thats it , all other fish are fine , corals seem ok. I think maybe its cause i was only doing once a day feedings, although he was eating wekk last week and always the first fish to greet you, now hes looking thin and spits out what he eats. my other tangs are fat. the tank volume is 180 gal, ive had the fish 4 months , he was an adult i got from a friend shutting his system down.

NoTangs eat only once a day. They spend their whole day nibbing algae off the rocks in the sea. Typically naso tangs will go on a hunger strike than starve to death and die.
You should be feeding it brown algae,not nori, which is tha natural food of naso tangs.
Try soaking the food in garlic extract which acts as an appetite excellerator
and or Selcon which is a vitamin formula. Drop spirulina pellets and discs to the bottom of the tank and see if she is eating them.
You should also have a powerhead placed near the top of the tank as these tangs like highly oxygenated water

Good Luck

bkelly
09-23-2011, 01:48 AM
well my Naso has made a great recovery, hes filled out and his appetite and behaviors are back strong. Ive set up my auto doser to feed during the day and i have been putting nori/brown algae on clip and hand feeding lots.
hes a great fish when i first got him he quickly became the first one in the tank to greet you, and when he was not doing well i realized how good of a fish he is. Glad hes doing well, and gave me an education on fish husbandry.
thanks for the help.
brent