PDA

View Full Version : Eradicate SPS

apexifd
09-13-2011, 01:03 AM
how do I do this?? I am thinking of kalk paste, and not sure it will trigger any sort of chemical warfare.

SPS in question is green pocci, they just grow too fast and start overtaking the rock. They are like the SPS version of GSP.

already fragged them a few time, and if I left a few polyp on the rock. They grow back to the same size in few months.

fishytime
09-13-2011, 01:20 AM
just care alot about whether or not it does well......thats usually when they rtn:wink:.........point a power head directly at it?

doch
09-13-2011, 01:35 AM
You could smother them with marine epoxy, and then remove the epoxy a little while later... you'll have a white spot where the epoxy was, but no more pocci! Or... just leave the epoxy there and let coraline grow over it.

I tried scrubbing them with a toothbrush, and surprisingly enough, that didn't work. I thought it would kill them for sure. Of course there's a frag that I've got from Dez 4 times now that I'm careful not to vibrate too much in transport... and I can't keep the damn things alive. This leads me to believe that Doug might be on to something here... lol

Another option... if the rock is removable without screwing your scape... turn the rock upside down and torch them with a bic lighter... I'll give that one the Murdoch guarantee!

Myka
09-13-2011, 01:35 AM
Boiling water in a syringe. I use it on GSP, so it must work on Pocci! :D

Aquattro
09-13-2011, 02:12 AM
.......point a power head directly at it?

nah, that won't do it :)

Aquattro
09-13-2011, 02:13 AM
Boiling water in a syringe. I use it on GSP, so it must work on Pocci! :D

Wouldn't bet my money on that either -lol

Wait until it starts spawning and leaving buds everywhere :)

daniella3d
09-13-2011, 02:35 AM
In deed they grow fast and spread all over the tank but I don't mind. why would you want to nuke your tank just to kill pocillopora? just remove those rocks and sell them to those who will appreciate the pocillopora maybe?

The other solution and a probably much healthier one would be to cover the coral until it die...which should be very fast without light.

how do I do this?? I am thinking of kalk paste, and not sure it will trigger any sort of chemical warfare.

SPS in question is green pocci, they just grow too fast and start overtaking the rock. They are like the SPS version of GSP.

already fragged them a few time, and if I left a few polyp on the rock. They grow back to the same size in few months.

Aquattro
09-13-2011, 02:42 AM
I have about 80 buds now, so selling "that" rock isn't going to work :)

covering them might prove impractical as well, so I'm just gonna like them until they get big enough to harvest. Then I just need to find 80 people that want some...

apexifd
09-13-2011, 04:01 AM
Then I just need to find 80 people that want some...

not as easy as you think.. ppl might pay for the colony size. but, don't expect much with the frag size. been there, done it.

again, when they get to the colony size, they will probably spawn again.. so, you will end up with 640(80X80) buds.

apexifd
09-13-2011, 04:04 AM
In deed they grow fast and spread all over the tank but I don't mind. why would you want to nuke your tank just to kill pocillopora? just remove those rocks and sell them to those who will appreciate the pocillopora maybe?

The other solution and a probably much healthier one would be to cover the coral until it die...which should be very fast without light.

because I will like to have mount a few frag on that rock.

Aquattro
09-13-2011, 04:20 AM
not as easy as you think.. ppl might pay for the colony size. but, don't expect much with the frag size. been there, done it.

again, when they get to the colony size, they will probably spawn again.. so, you will end up with 640(80X80) buds.

Ur all sunshine and roses, aren't ya? lol. Ya, I'll give it to anyone that wants some, then the rest goes over the fence. I have some good cutters that can get them off the rock once they're a bit bigger.

apexifd
09-13-2011, 04:58 AM
Ur all sunshine and roses, aren't ya? lol. Ya, I'll give it to anyone that wants some, then the rest goes over the fence. I have some good cutters that can get them off the rock once they're a bit bigger.

ya... if ppl wants fresh cut for free that fine with me as well... but, wife doesn't like having all the stranger come in and out of the house.

Reefer can't be bad person right??