PDA

View Full Version : Snappy's Rainbow Stylo

Myka
09-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Who is keeping this piece? What kind of light do you have it under?

I have kept it under fairly high light for two years, and it grows like a weed. I knocked it off the rock (stupid epoxy) so it has been down on the sand for a month where it is 26" from my 250 watt halides (20" of water above the coral). As I've been cleaning up my tank the corals have been looking nicer, but this one has changed way more than the others so I'm pretty sure it's the lighting more than anything.

Higher light:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/Nov1420105.jpg

Lower light:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/Sept1120113.jpg

reefermadness
09-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Nice.....I have the same coral (not from greg though) and have found the same thing. Which way do you like it better? I like it in high light....although all my prime real estate spots are spoken for.

ScubaSteve
09-12-2011, 04:50 PM
I don't have this particular piece but I do find my stylos really change with lighting. I have a red/green stylo that is basically electric green in highlight and pink red with silver polyps in lower light. When I rebuild the tank this month I'm going to try it midway to see what it does.

And yeah, grows like a weed. Mine went from being a frag the size of my pinky nail to 6" across in just over a year. It's even spawned several times and I find little baby colonies popping up.

Myka
09-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Steve, red/pink with silver polyps sounds AWESOME!

Nice.....I have the same coral (not from greg though) and have found the same thing. Which way do you like it better? I like it in high light....although all my prime real estate spots are spoken for.

Haha, that's funny...I like it in lower light, but all the lower light prime real estate is gone! I have very few SPS corals that are happy right under my halides. Annoys me. It's like, "Hello Acros, this light's for you!!!" Grrr...

In high light the rainbow stylo doesn't look rainbow at all. Many people ask, "That is a rainbow?" Kind of offensive! :lol: I find it is just yellow with pink tips and brownish polyps with white polyp tips in high light. I almost sold the colony because I was so sick of it being so bland. Now I like it. :D

PoonTang
09-12-2011, 06:25 PM
I have mine in fairly high light but it is quite brown. :(

fishytime
09-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Color schmolor..... You all should just be happy that they are doing well for ya.... Stylos were always one SPS that has never done well in my system, for whatever reason:neutral:

Aquattro
09-12-2011, 08:22 PM
You all should just be happy that they are doing well for ya.... Stylos were always one SPS that has never done well in my system, for whatever reason:neutral:

I had the same issue for years until I got this piece. It's been with me about 2 years, it's still pink and completed blocked from any significant light. I should try to cut it off the rock and get it under the rays!

Myka
09-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Stylos were always one SPS that has never done well in my system, for whatever reason:neutral:

Just be thankful there was only ONE that didn't do well. :lol:

Parker
09-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Color schmolor.....

I agree, I prefer brown or pure white SPS.