PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Town sell HOB refugiums?

Blom
09-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Subject line says it all. Just getting tired of ordering things and having to wait a month to see my new toy... patience is a virtue that I don't have.

Pearlms3
09-28-2011, 01:13 AM
I was looking into either making one or purchasing one myself. I have the hqi 29g jbj. Which one were you looking at to purchase..im just starting to do the research myself.

Blom
09-28-2011, 01:24 AM
I was looking into either making one or purchasing one myself. I have the hqi 29g jbj. Which one were you looking at to purchase..im just starting to do the research myself.

Same tank as me, other than I ditched the hood and went LED. Having the hood shouldn't be a problem with the HOB Refuge I ended up getting from Big Al's. I think its a Saline Solution who makes it. The only issue I have found is it make the media tray in the first chamber almost impossible to take out. All i run with it now is a filter pad on the top, so I don't need to remove the whole tray. I thought about doing it myself, and probably would have done so if I had any where to work in my appt. Little shoe box of a home.

Pearlms3
09-28-2011, 03:14 AM
Can I see a picture of it if you have the chance? I was going to plumb the fuge into the back compartment of the tank where the media is..or was. I hooked up a fluval where the media used to go in the center. I was thinking, use the out of the fluval to supply water to the fuge and have gravity pour it back into the rear partition. May i ask why you subbed a MH hood with LEDs?

Blom
09-28-2011, 01:38 PM
You can get a picture off the build thread here:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75909&page=4

I will try and get a better picture for you today. I replaced the return pumps that come with the cube to MJ900's. One returns to the display section the other is used to pump to the refuge. The one MJ900 isn't enough flow IMO so I also have a MP10ES in the display. The refuge then overflows back into the return section. I was a little "creeped" out by hanging 2.5 gallons off the back of this 6mm glass, but so far no problems.

I went the LED route for a couple of reasons (in Order):
1. I like Toys! The ability to control the intensity on the 3 color channels is great.
2. My tank on average draws less then half and amp, if everything manages to kick on at the same time its closer to 1A. Cheap on the old Utilities Bill.
3. Temperature, This wouldn't be an issue for 8 or 9 months out of the year. But sure would be during the summer in my oven of an appt.

This was a test run of LED before I set up my 180, but I am happy so far and will be using them on the larger tank now too.