PDA

View Full Version : wrasses

kies1
09-12-2011, 01:11 AM
I have a carpenter flasher wrasse and was wondering if any other wrasses would be compatible with it. IT is in a 35 gallon mixed reef with 2 clowns and a royal gramma. Thanks.

toytech
09-12-2011, 05:03 AM
Lots are compatible , i have a lubbocks , a blueside , and a bannana wrasse all with my carpenter wrasse and they get along great .

daniella3d
09-12-2011, 11:26 AM
in what size of tank do you have all these wrasses? I thought that a banana wrasse was aggressive?

Surely the tank size makes all the difference on which and if you can add more wrasse. I had a supposably non aggressive checkerboard wrasse that was constantly attacking a yellow wrasse in my 70 gallons...I would really be carefull in a 35 gallons as wrasses like to jump out of the tank if they are not well in there. I had no problem catching my yellow wrasse as it eventually jumped out of the tank and right on the floor.

Lots are compatible , i have a lubbocks , a blueside , and a bannana wrasse all with my carpenter wrasse and they get along great .

Aquaria
09-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Could be just me but not only is a 35 kinda small for multipule wrasses I would think 5 fish in a 35 is kind of a high bioload but iv also tried to keep my bioload low I'm to scared of crashing my tank lol also be careful fairy wrasses are very passive and could be prone to being picked on if ur new wrasse feels he's competing for food with the fairy

Haloreef
09-12-2011, 06:52 PM
I am keeping A male Aurantidorsalis (Orange back)
A male Punctatus (Spotted) almost 5"
A Pair of Rubrimarginatus
and a male Scottorum (Scotts) with my Black Tang and my Achilles with out any problems.
My system is a wee bit larger than yours though.
I hope to add a Lineatus and a Rhomboids in the future.
gotta come up with the funds first.
Keith.

toytech
09-12-2011, 07:02 PM
My wrasses are in a 55 with 6 other fish , the bannana wrasse is one of the least agressive fish ive ever had . The lubbocks chased the blue side for a day when i introduced it but it lost interest really soon. I have no fish that are agressive and i think thats a big part of it , also having lots of hiding places seems important too.

toytech
09-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Oh ya having a compleatly coverd top is a must , sometimes one of my fish spookes and bounces of the plexi top.

kien
09-12-2011, 07:54 PM
There are two very different wrasses that go by the common name "banana wrasse". The Thalassoma Lutescens which can be quite aggressive and grows large, and the Halichoeres chrysus which is generally quite docile and doesn't get as big. The latter wrasse actually has many names, canary wrasse and golden coris wrasse are among it's many common names.

toytech
09-12-2011, 10:10 PM
Your very correct there and mine is the latter , and does stay quite small less than 4 inch .Im lousy with the scientific names thanks for finding them so theres no confusion.

kies1
09-13-2011, 01:48 AM
So back to the question, which if any could i get that would be compatible in my system. The tank has been running for 1.5 years with ammonia, nitrate all at o. All four other fish have been established for some time now. Really like the wrasses but do not want to add another if not a good idea. Thanks.

toytech
09-13-2011, 03:53 AM
Any fairy wrasse , and almost any other of the small reef safe wrasses . 6 lines should be avoided because they can get agressive .Just pick a color you want and you can find a wrasse to fit .

kies1
10-03-2011, 11:53 PM
Well purchased what i thought was a fairy wrasse at the local fishy store and when brought home and acclimated and put into tank low and behold it is a juvenile carpenter wrasse from what I can tell comparing it to the one in the tank already. Am thinking it is a female as the bigger carpenter flashes whenever it gets near. So far so good as both the wrasses are doing great. So to answer the question yes you can keep wrasses together and by the looks of it even the same species.

naesco
10-04-2011, 01:57 AM
So back to the question, which if any could i get that would be compatible in my system. The tank has been running for 1.5 years with ammonia, nitrate all at o. All four other fish have been established for some time now. Really like the wrasses but do not want to add another if not a good idea. Thanks.

Kies, there is no reefer who would reccommend that you keep your achilles and black tangs in a 35 gallon tank.
Tangs require large tanks (6 foot tanks ) because they need the swimming room that these larger tanks provide. Tangs need tanks that size so that they do what they do best: swiinning to and fro the length of your tank. Please make arrangements to upgrade your tank to a suitable size, sell them to a reefer who has a tank large enough to accommodate them or return them to your LFS for a credit.
IMO you are far above the maximum bioload and should add no further fish to your tank.

MMAX
10-04-2011, 02:27 AM
Kies, there is no reefer who would reccommend that you keep your achilles and black tangs in a 35 gallon tank.
Tangs require large tanks (6 foot tanks ) because they need the swimming room that these larger tanks provide. Tangs need tanks that size so that they do what they do best: swiinning to and fro the length of your tank. Please make arrangements to upgrade your tank to a suitable size, sell them to a reefer who has a tank large enough to accommodate them or return them to your LFS for a credit.
IMO you are far above the maximum bioload and should add no further fish to your tank.

I think you're mistaken there Mr. Tang Policeman. It was Haloreef that made that comment.

kies1
10-04-2011, 11:27 PM

Maybe you should read the whole thread before making comments or judgements on fellow reefers. I know tangs etc are too large for a 35 gallon. Thanks tips