PDA

View Full Version : Jumping clownfish?

LostMind
02-01-2004, 06:02 AM
So, I have had two clownfish from wendell for... 4 months now I guess?

they are always happy and pretty cool little fish. Swim out to see me when I walk by the tank and stuff. eat right out of my hand...

so just this morning, I fed my fish, teased my little clownfish by calling him a goldfish (shoulda seen his belly, he beat back the chromis to get all the food!) and then this evening, I go to feed the fish again... and now I only have 1 clownfish in the tank.

Look all over the tank, in the sump, all around the floor, just about everywhere.

Couldnt find the little bugger. anyways we had to go for dinner and when I came back, I found him, only 3 feet from the tank, dried out on the hardwood :(

Poor little one stripe Li (from cardcaptor sakura, my fiancee named him li-kun)...

Are clownfish known for jumping?

EmilyB
02-01-2004, 06:06 AM
More likely if chased out of the tank by something. :sad:

LostMind
02-01-2004, 06:15 AM
but, I dont have anything new in the tank that would chase it...

the three green chromis are in there.. while they bully around feeding time, the rest of the time they leave the clownfish alone...

I have a lawnmower blenny, but he ignores everything in the tank.

purple tang

two sharknose gobies...

I didnt think those tankmates would harass each other too badly :(

its silly, its just a fish but I am still actually upset about it.

Samw
02-01-2004, 06:25 AM
Sorry for your loss LostMind. I've had my share of jumpers. Too many for my liking. A Cleaner wrasse, a Barnacle Blenny, and last week, my Flame Angel (one of my favorites). That's about it but it still feels crappy everytime you find one on the carpet. My 2 Ocellaris clownfish though have been with me for 2 years without jumping.

LostMind
02-01-2004, 06:51 AM
A flame angel jumped too? man, I want one of those... :(

hmmm, wonder if I could rig a safety net so they cant jump...

Samw
02-01-2004, 06:58 AM

hmmm, wonder if I could rig a safety net so they cant jump...

They probably don't normally jump but they are good jumpers. I witnessed it jump a lot as I was taking it out of the bag. It was constantly fighting with my Black Leopard wrasse, though who knows what set it off. I had it over a year without a problem prior to the jump.

StirCrazy
02-01-2004, 11:37 AM

yup mine never jumped once for over a year, then whle in the pool in the garage I found him on the cement.... I also found a second mantis in a rock in the pool so I think maybe he might have been avoiding that, but who knows.

Steve

zulu_principle
02-01-2004, 03:42 PM
Not totally uncommon and in my experience I could not pin point why certain species jump more.

Wendell

MitchM
02-01-2004, 04:31 PM
I think that fish jump simply because the tanks that we keep them in are too small.
They need room to flee for whatever reason. It's not like they're jumping for food or anything.

Mitch

zulu_principle
02-01-2004, 04:35 PM
Mitch

That just doesn't explain why I have lost a few Skunk clowns (in a 20 gallon system) jumping but never a perc.

And I have kept over 200 percs in a juvy growout for over 8 months.

JMH&EO

Wendell

BCOrchidGuy
02-01-2004, 06:44 PM
Humble and Expert Opinion?, I'd say if anyone can say they are an expert with Clowns it's you Wendel... Lost, sorry to hear of your loss, it's always a shame to loose a fish you truely enjoy. I'd love to get another pair one day, but I'll have to wait a bit at least.

On a side note Wendel, those rotifers I got from you are still in my fridge, I know the rotifers are probably dead but will there be some cysts do you think? I've just been slower getting things set up than I thought I would be. I've got Nano paste and nano green water as well as Iso green water.

Doug

zulu_principle
02-02-2004, 12:27 AM
Humble and experienced, I would never suggest that im in expert in anything.

Wendell

Doug, I will PM you on the rotifers.

chwkreefer
02-02-2004, 01:15 AM
More likely if chased out of the tank by something. :sad:

Yeah, good thought. Any chance you had any fish lice or some other type of large free swimming parasite. I had a perc jump out of his tank about 12 years ago because a single louse attached and freaked the fish enough to jump out of the tank.

Bill

redrum
02-02-2004, 06:10 AM
I've had three Perc. Clowns jump into my over flow to my sump. Luckily I caught one before he went down one of my stand pipes. For the other two it was unfortunately too late. Needless to say I have now covered the opening with egg-crate and have not lost any since. These were all happy fish with no enemies. When I enquired about the very same thing at the LFS (are they known for jumping) he replied, "Their stupid fish". And that's as close to an answer as I ever got ...................

LostMind
02-02-2004, 06:19 AM
I havent seen any parasites in my tank.

and I also had to cover my overflows - the chromis kept going for rides down the tubes when it was uncovered :)

Bob I
02-02-2004, 04:23 PM
I once had two tank bred Ocellaris clowns. They both jumped out. I have never experienced that with wild caught ones. Could be coincidence I don't know. :eek: :rolleyes:

Quinn
02-02-2004, 05:07 PM
Like birds, if a fish is spooked I expect they will jump. My cockatiel will go nuts once in a while if you walk past his cage at night. And of course my goby has sump surfed several times, jumping right into the overflow, always at night. I expect a snail stumbled across his burrow and he flipped right out, I'm just glad I've never found him dried up on my eurobracing. Occasionally I see him in the morning before the lights are on, cowering in a corner, looking like he's just seen the devil himself or something. I don't think a fish needs "enemies" to jump.

LostMind
02-02-2004, 06:27 PM
Occasionally I see him in the morning before the lights are on, cowering in a corner, looking like he's just seen the devil himself or something.

I wonder what the fish devil looks like....

hehe.

Thanks teevee - that just made my morning, I am not sure why but I found it quite funny.

The replacement clownfish is doing quite well, he is a lot more yellow then the other clownfish who is quite orange... but they get along and the new guy is eating.

New guy's name is kero-chun from sakura again (my fiancee really likes that cartoon for some reason).

All I can say, is thanks Wendell and Ocean Aquatics!