PDA

View Full Version : Eurobracing Help Please

Doc_Polit
09-11-2011, 09:33 PM
I have yet another question for you Canreefers........

My 120-gallon tank is made from 9mm glass and has no top trim, currently, so I will definitely add a eurobrace. I am also considering a center brace to make the addition of tops easier.

Must I use 9mm bracing too? I have an old 50 gallon that I can tear down but I know that 9mm can be tricky to cut. The fact that it is "old" glass makes it that much more difficult.

Would I get away with 1/4" bracing? I have plenty of clean, 1/4" glass and could easily double up the braces to, in essence, have 1/2" supports.

Your thoughts?

plutoniumJoe
09-12-2011, 03:09 AM
If it were me I would go with 9mm for the euro-bracing. At the center of your span there will be significant pressure to bow and the thicker the brace the better you will sleep at night. You should be able to get a glass company to cut it for you and if you go with a 3" brace you are not looking at that much square footage.

The Grizz
09-12-2011, 03:14 AM
6mm will not cut it Brad, go with the 10 mm just to be on the safe side of caution. You will not like the look of doubled up 6mm & if you go to 10mm you will not need a center brace.

Doc_Polit
09-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Any suggestions on where to order glass from?

There are certain tank manufacturers in Alberta that I simply refuse to deal with.

The Grizz
09-12-2011, 06:29 PM
You can got to any glass shop for the euro brace pieces, I got some cut for my 116 gal from Lydens Glass in Red Deer.

Doc_Polit
09-13-2011, 11:16 PM
Alright, I took a closer look at the tank. The sides are 9mm glass while the front, back and bottom are 12mm.

Inside measurements are 47 5/16"L and 23 1/16" width.

For those that have done their own bracing, how big of a gap do you leave for your silicone bead?

I am thinking of running the length of the front and back level with the panes and then putting cross braces on top of the side panes and front/back euro.

Sound about right?