PDA

View Full Version : Backgrounds

Reefrookie79
09-10-2011, 05:04 AM
Can't decide whether to go with a black or blue background. Opinions pls!!

mike31154
09-10-2011, 06:47 AM
Neither, do a diorama behind the tank. This link shows basic procedure, for freshwater, but can easily be adapted for a SW scene.

http://www.glaucus.org.uk/CB1.htm

...now you can go multi colour...

The Grizz
09-10-2011, 07:01 AM
I personally like black because it show the colors of fish and coral much better then blue. My 167 gal is blue & I don't like it at all, my other 2 tanks are black, one with white sand the other with black. I think I prefer the black sand as well.

doch
09-10-2011, 07:27 AM
Have you considered a mirror? That's my one regret with my tank... I wish I would have gone with a mirror instead of black acrylic on the back plane.

Mechaninano
09-10-2011, 03:52 PM
I've got a 45g that has a mirrored back and it does look pretty cool (the finish/coating whatever you want to call it is peeling a little though, but its not too noticeabl, especially since its in my brothers living room)

Seamazter
09-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Black will always show sand particle in the water.
Blue will at least be calming if you choose a lighter color blue.
Black does add depth to the tank.

Proteus
09-10-2011, 04:12 PM
I did mirror on my 90 gal and it was cool Since it double the amount of fish
I have blue on my 150 and I like It since it's bright. My 180 is black to add depth and make my colors pop

Mechaninano
09-10-2011, 04:14 PM
I did mirror on my 90 gal and it was cool Since it double the amount of fish
I have blue on my 150 and I like It since it's bright. My 180 is black to add depth and make my colors pop

See, problem solved, you just need enough tanks to have one of each idea! Brilliant. :biggrin:

MarkoD
09-10-2011, 04:22 PM
i have blue and i like it the most

Parker
09-10-2011, 04:47 PM
I vote for black.

Reefrookie79
09-10-2011, 05:27 PM
I'm thinking black cause I do like the depth aspect. I have blue in my 20 now. It is nice and bright. But I like the idea of the colors standing out with te black as well.
Thanks all for you opinions. Maybe I should jut get more tanks and do each and everyone of the suggestions haha. Don't know how the gf would feel about that tho lol

MKLKT
09-10-2011, 05:28 PM
I keep mine clear, but that's also because there's a window behind so you can see the outdoors through it. :) I'd vote black though, although I'd like to see what mirrored backs look like in practice.

fishytime
09-10-2011, 05:46 PM
I wouldn't do mirror..... I would think it would be stressful to your fish..... I know when I put a mirror in front of my tank my more aggressive fish go ape..... I say it really doesn't matter what color you choose..... You can usually only see parts of it because your rock will block most of it and unless your super ambitious and keep the back glass clean, it will cover over with coraline and be invisible anyway

Aquarium_Medics
09-10-2011, 08:58 PM
What about pond foaming the back wall of the tank. Adds dimension and helps with the nitrogen cycle.

Proteus
09-10-2011, 09:49 PM
"Don't know how the gf would feel about that tho lol"

Remember it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission

doch
09-10-2011, 10:10 PM
I wouldn't do mirror..... I would think it would be stressful to your fish..... I know when I put a mirror in front of my tank my more aggressive fish go ape.....

Only thing to consider with this is that you only put the mirror there every so often, so it's a change. If the mirror is there 24/7, they just get used to it. Who knows... it might even take an aggressive fish's anger down a notch...?

Proteus
09-10-2011, 10:33 PM
My mirrored tank was a cichlid tank and for a while they would swim into the mirror Challinging there reflection. After a week they paid no attention to it. Also note that it was a 90 gal. With 40 cichlids male and female. So I don't think aggression is a worry. But. You do notice any algae Alot more

abcha0s
09-11-2011, 04:35 AM
It doesn't matter. Just let the coraline cover the back glass.

If you must paint it, I vote for black. It does add depth, but equally important - it is the least distracting. Blue is nice and calming, but only because you notice it. Black fades to nothing.

- Brad

TheMikey
09-11-2011, 06:45 AM
At the pet store (Petsmart, I think) they had rolls of background that had black on one side and blue on the other. Initially I went with black but later turned it to blue on my 15G and liked it much better. To me it added more depth and gave it more of a reef look... like you were in the water and looking into the abyss of the ocean beyond.

If you're stuck, see if you can find that kind of background. Then try both sides and think about what you like more. If you ever change your mind, it's a quick fix to change anyway.

daniella3d
09-11-2011, 11:57 AM
I use this blue seascape and it really give depth to the aquarium...very nice! It's a double-sided background.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/images/large/243687.jpg

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/6645/product.web

http://www.amazon.com/Seascape-Double-Sided-Aquarium-Background/dp/B001XYI0TK

This should also be available at your local pet store.

dsaundry
09-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Neither, do a diorama behind the tank. This link shows basic procedure, for freshwater, but can easily be adapted for a SW scene.I like the idea but I think after a while, unless you really like scraping coraline all the time, this wouldn't be the best. Mirrors aren't bad as depending on what you are growing they will enhance the lighting. I personally have had blue and black, my favorite is black but blue is ok too.