PDA

View Full Version : No pix snail ID

Scavenger
02-01-2004, 02:39 AM
I've been seeing what I've been calling "biker snails" in my tank. I haven't been able to get a good picture of them yet, but they have shells that remind me of the dish helmets worn by a lot of harley riding bikers, leaving alot of body exposed. (hence the name biker snails.) They are about 1/4-1/2 inch long and range from grey to black and seem to graze algae so I haven't tried to remove them. Anyone got any idea? I think they are harmless, but just wanted to put a name to a face (so to speak :rolleyes: )

StirCrazy
02-01-2004, 02:42 AM
i guess stomatella.

Steve

Aquattro
02-01-2004, 02:45 AM
i guess stomatella.

Steve

I second that. Little brain buckets on them for sure!!

Bob I
02-01-2004, 02:49 AM
i guess stomatella.

Steve

I second that. Little brain buckets on them for sure!!

For sure Stomatella. Sometimes you will see very interesting colour variations. I have some that are all black. :biggrin:

StirCrazy
02-01-2004, 02:53 AM
For sure Stomatella. Sometimes you will see very interesting colour variations. I have some that are all black. :biggrin:

is that the color of them or the algae covering them :mrgreen:

Steve

Bob I
02-01-2004, 02:58 AM

is that the color of them or the algae covering them :mrgreen:

Steve

No that is their colour Mister Smart A** :mrgreen:

Scavenger
02-01-2004, 03:30 AM
Thanks guys! I did a search on Stomatella and that's them! Cool! These guys really get into the cracks and crevaces to really clean up. I never realized I'd have so many differant hitchhikers when I started this project.
I have to admit, other than maintenance, I hardly look into my freshwater anymore.

Scavenger
02-01-2004, 03:52 AM

Hey Bob_I here's a link to back you up on that statement and quiet your critics :lol: :lol: j/k Steve

http://www.gastropods.com/Taxon_pages/Group_Stomatella.html