PDA

View Full Version : LED Light Fixture Recommendation

Cliff
09-09-2011, 05:13 PM
I’m looking into up-grading my 6 bulb T5HO fixture with a LED fixture. I’ve been reading a ton of information on-line about them, and I think all I accomplished was to confuse myself even more.

I’m looking for a fixture that will be suited for a standard 120 gallon tank (48 X 24 X 24). I have mostly brains and soft corals with a two clams on the substrate. I’m thinking something with 100, 3W bulbs (1/2 white, ½ blue, or a 60/40 split)

Are there any fixtures you guys could suggest

sphelps
09-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Budget?

Madreefer
09-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Tagging along

Cliff
09-09-2011, 05:18 PM
I really don't want to skimp on lighting, but I don't want to buy the most expensive out there either.

I'm looking for something $1000 or less.

If my budget is off, let me know

sphelps
09-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Your budget is off in terms of what I would consider decent fixtures with the wattage you're looking for. For example the Metis CRP2 would probably be enough for your tank but still 100W short of what you're asking for and that fixture is close to $2000. Same deal with vertex fixtures as well. Even a DIY project with that many LEDs is going to go over $1000.

Now there are cheaper alternatives that use lower end LEDs and lack some controllable features but I don't know much about them, personally don't think I'd recommend any of them but we'll see what others have to say.

lastlight
09-09-2011, 05:44 PM
2x250w.

I'm sure you've seen these older diodes... they're quite massive but they're proven and you'd only need two =)

ponokareefer
09-09-2011, 05:47 PM
For that price, I would look at modularled.ca's 4 foot tank DIY package. It includes 72 LED's which should be more than enough. I have the exact same size of tank as you and just did a tonne of research and found their package to be the best for my needs. There is some DIY involved, but no soldering which is what I wanted to avoid.

You will not be able to get a fixture in that price range for your tank. You will need at least $1600 to get a fixture for your tank that has no DIY involved. Some of the options are: Vertex Illumina 200 or 260, Maxspect Mazzara, Orphek, AquaIllumination Modular, and the new Ecotech Radion

Madreefer
09-09-2011, 06:06 PM
I really like the idea of the Ecotech Radions. But it says it is comparable to a 250W MH but also that 1 unit is for 40G. In my case I would need 3 of them. I really dont want to spend that much. Any thoughts on how just 2 would work? I've been PMing with another member who has some Ebay lights and they are just over $200/unit. Much cheaper than the "predicted" $825 Radions

Cliff
09-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Looks like I need to increase the budget

I'm going to look into the brands you guys have recommended

Thanks

TJSlayer
09-09-2011, 06:25 PM
You could also look at the inwatter 48" unit - 240 watts. I have it on my 75 and still only run it @ 55%.

Doesn't have all the bells a whistles of some of the others, and still more than your budget but will provide you with the light you need

msjboy
09-09-2011, 06:28 PM
eshine just brought out cheaper leds... have a look at this thread from reefcentral.com:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2009776

the washer lites are around $150 for a 48" one... compare that to the former 60W ones at $185 which is good for just a 24" square area.
( new usa beta site is eshinesystem.com )

msjboy

claymax
09-10-2011, 03:12 AM
heres a link to modular led, the amount of work needed to put one of these together is really very little, especially if you get them to do the assembly.

http://www.modularled.ca/4-foot-tank-dimmable/

mseepman
09-10-2011, 01:18 PM
i would hold off until after MACNA...rumours down here of some repricing on some fixtures that could be announced shortly. Only rumour though until it comes out.

Madreefer
09-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Any thoughts on these. I would have to buy a temp controller, 2 timer controllers and a hanging kit which would be an additional $154.44. So with taxes i'm looking at $1345.52

http://www.hero-ledstore.com/4724-inch-long-x-1378-wide-5-channels-100led-with-moon-light-sps-tank-led-lighting-fixture-p-1813.html

mseepman
09-12-2011, 02:26 AM
I don't think that fixture looks very good...too many unknowns. If you haven't heard AI dropped the price of the SOL lights dramatically yesterday...only $399US so you would probably be better off trying that. If you can't find a CAD store to sell them to you...try salty supply...I just bought a bunch from them at MACNA and they are shipping to Canada for me via USPS.

Any thoughts on these. I would have to buy a temp controller, 2 timer controllers and a hanging kit which would be an additional $154.44. So with taxes i'm looking at $1345.52

http://www.hero-ledstore.com/4724-inch-long-x-1378-wide-5-channels-100led-with-moon-light-sps-tank-led-lighting-fixture-p-1813.html

lastlight
09-12-2011, 02:47 AM
I don't think that fixture looks very good...too many unknowns. If you haven't heard AI dropped the price of the SOL lights dramatically yesterday...only $399US so you would probably be better off trying that. If you can't find a CAD store to sell them to you...try salty supply...I just bought a bunch from them at MACNA and they are shipping to Canada for me via USPS.

Thanks for the info regarding Salty Supply. I read this news today and had been trying to find a source here unsuccessfully. So shipping that way means what? Easier on the wallet than UPS? After duty, tax etc what is your cost per fixture?

mseepman
09-12-2011, 03:13 AM
Not sure...but they are shipping a big a$$ Skimmer and auto wipedown neck to me for $76 via usps

Madreefer
09-12-2011, 04:28 AM
I really want the Radions and ready to fork out the cash but I just cant seem to get an an answer on how many I need. It says one per 40G but comparable to a 250W MH. But I have a 144G and with the brace in the middle I can only fit 2 of the fixtures. A third one will have too much light blocked. If I dont get a proper answer I might have to buy four of the Sols for the same price.

Madreefer
09-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the info regarding Salty Supply. I read this news today and had been trying to find a source here unsuccessfully. So shipping that way means what? Easier on the wallet than UPS? After duty, tax etc what is your cost per fixture?

Are you talkin about the AI Sols? The Reef Shoppe sells them but if you wanted the 4 pack setup it's $1009 more here in Canada, not including taxes. If only Salty Supplies took Paypal.:cry:

Madreefer
09-14-2011, 03:28 PM

The AI Sols can be found at Oceans Aquatics, they are a vendor on here. They are not posted on the website but I spoke with them and the price there will also be $399 starting on friday.

lastlight
09-14-2011, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the heads up =)

milano07
09-14-2011, 05:49 PM
The AI Sols can be found at Oceans Aquatics, they are a vendor on here. They are not posted on the website but I spoke with them and the price there will also be $399 starting on friday.

Wow, that's awesome! I'll have to stop by the store to get one now that the prices have dropped considerably.

TorontoBound
09-14-2011, 06:00 PM
EcoTech Marine's Radeon Unit!!!

Madreefer
09-14-2011, 06:26 PM
Wow, that's awesome! I'll have to stop by the store to get one now that the prices have dropped considerably.

Thats what I thought. I ordered 4 of them.

lastlight
09-14-2011, 06:30 PM
You guys going with the SOL Blues?

lastlight
09-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Comparing watts of LED in both:

Radion - 130W / $825
SOL - 75W / $400

Now the SOL doesn't have the spectrum capabilities but seems to offer more power for the money. I'm sure you can't assume that double watts is double the par or whatever but both seem close enough in terms of light output for the money. If I understand correctly the LEDs in the SOL are all very much useful in terms of coral growth and the Radion's red and green might be to a lesser degree (but still some)?

Real question is what performs better? One Radion or a pair of SOL Blues?

TorontoBound
09-14-2011, 06:41 PM
The EcoTech is Full spectrum and it is a nice touch of convenience if you are running MP pumps as they will communicate with each others. Also I'm not aware that AI runs hyper reds.

I agree that the cost is not as appealing on the radeon compared to Sol but I believe the color spectrum and par readings will justify the price once it is posted on Advanced Aquarist

Madreefer
09-14-2011, 07:01 PM
You guys going with the SOL Blues?

Yup it's a done deal. Should have them on saturday. It was either 3 of the Radions and possibly 4 at $2500 plus taxes and shipping and than having to figure out some way of hanging them. So for the complete set of 4 Sols including taxes and shipping it will be $1944.77 ready to hang and run. I was really pumped about getting the Radions but oh well. I really see no use to have the pumps working with the lights.