PDA

View Full Version : Will this be enough light?

ensquire
09-08-2011, 04:57 PM
I am almost ready to put my 80 gallon tank back online after a total overhaul. Taking forever.
The tank is a bowfront with a LR overflow 40" x 20"D x 22"H
The aquascape will be mostly on the right side where the overflow isn't, and I am going to try a mixed reef. At this time I have a few fixtures and was hoping that they will do the job, but am unsure and have been looking at other options. But for now can I get started with SPS , LPS with a 36" 6 bulb T5 fixture ?
I also have 2 36" PC fixtures that came with the tank but not really liking the way they were set up and does anyone use PC anymore?
Have looked at some of the new LED fixtures , but waiting for a bit longer before jumping in.
Opinions , suggestions welcomed .
Thanks

Aquaria
09-08-2011, 05:52 PM
I keep a ponci about 8 inchs from a 4 bulb fixture and well it lives definitely is not thriving been no new growth 6 months hasn't even started to encrust yet so my guess would be no to sps unless it's on the top 1/4 of ur tank and low light sps at that

mayheim
09-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Hey Mike,
I have the same lighting system on my 180 reef. using 54 w bulbs 10,000k plus. 3 white 2 actinic blue, one actinic pink...white for growth, blue/pink for colour. I have lps and soft corals in right now. All are doing fine..even propagating.. have a frag (plate) sps and it seems to be doing fine. Also have a ton of water movement six fans along with my return. Aprox 6500 gph

Aquaria
09-08-2011, 06:01 PM
Also the led thread going in the reef section has ALOT of info on LED and HQI price diff and pro n cons it's a very imformative thread if ur considering sps then I would have a look at an HQI or LED fixture

ensquire
09-09-2011, 06:34 AM
Also the led thread going in the reef section has ALOT of info on LED and HQI price diff and pro n cons it's a very imformative thread if ur considering sps then I would have a look at an HQI or LED fixture

I have been following the LED threads closely and like the technology,, especially with the power rates that we pay here due to generated power. I know I will eventually get there, just want to get started with what I have.
I have an Odysea 250 W MH on my other tank and like it but the heat issue and the cost of powering another MH fixture are what make me ask if the T5 will get me started.
Are you thinking of upgrading your lighting?

ensquire
09-09-2011, 06:44 AM
Hey Mike,
I have the same lighting system on my 180 reef. using 54 w bulbs 10,000k plus. 3 white 2 actinic blue, one actinic pink...white for growth, blue/pink for colour. I have lps and soft corals in right now. All are doing fine..even propagating.. have a frag (plate) sps and it seems to be doing fine. Also have a ton of water movement six fans along with my return. Aprox 6500 gph

I have 3 super blue 2 blue special and a fiji purple on the way. All kinds of powerheads at the ready LOL. Can't wait to get it going. Just waiting for a light bracket Im having built.

Aquaria
09-09-2011, 07:19 AM
Personally until I can get my ponci to thrive I'm not adding anymore sps and my nano was supposed to be an sps nano so I am planning on a 24" hqi t5ho combo. LED is out of my reach

gobytron
09-09-2011, 02:23 PM
FYI - Mayheim - a plate coral is actually an LPS, not an sps and are lowish light corals

I would be surprised if you found that the 6 bulb tek didnt cut it for ya.
I would look for a good deal on a used MH fixture if you want to go full on sps tank, but if you just want a couple, put them near the top and you should be golden.
You'll really only be able to put anything (other han softies) in the middle though.

BTW - those dimensions on your bowfront just sound awesome.
I'd love to 'scape that tank.

mayheim
09-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the info and yes and I'm thinking about getting LED's

gobytron
09-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the info and yes and I'm thinking about getting LED's

Well, think about it for another year or two if possible.
LEDS are only getting cheaper...despite what those who've paid 1000's for a single fixtures will tell you.

msjboy
09-09-2011, 06:40 PM
heard of 3W, 4.5 and 10W but this guy guy is testing out 100W LEDs... must be like car headlites:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chronicles/63272-pimpalas-pimpin-150-deep-build-31.html

Price is about $200 for one LED which can also cover a whole frag tank of 24" square.

msjboy

gobytron
09-09-2011, 07:40 PM
They've been around for some time.
they run hot, as I understand it, kind of mitigating some of the purpose of leds..

OA sells some
http://oceanaquatics.com/store/product/4571/Ecoxotic-100-W-Canon-LED-453nm/

ensquire
09-09-2011, 07:48 PM
FYI - Mayheim - a plate coral is actually an LPS, not an sps and are lowish light corals

I would be surprised if you found that the 6 bulb tek didnt cut it for ya.
I would look for a good deal on a used MH fixture if you want to go full on sps tank, but if you just want a couple, put them near the top and you should be golden.
You'll really only be able to put anything (other han softies) in the middle though.

BTW - those dimensions on your bowfront just sound awesome.
I'd love to 'scape that tank.

It is a nice looking tank , Are you offering your services ?? LOL