PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer for 150g

pirate
09-08-2011, 03:46 AM
Well my old used skimmer has finially died. I fixed it and it ran for a day and quit again. So now I'm in the market for a new skimmer. Was looking at doing used but so far with used I'm not having any luck. ( broken/ died right away) So I think I'm going with new.
So I'm just starting to look but what is a good skimmer with a reasonable price?
Right now I have a med to high bio load, with a 150g display and a 30g sump ( actual water ) I have a mix of Lps and sps.
I would like to be in the 400 and less price range if at all possible.
Thanks inadvance

fishytime
09-08-2011, 05:05 AM
vertex.....in180 may do, or you could go bigger too for around that price range

freezetyle
09-08-2011, 03:05 PM
SWC makes great skimmer for around that price.

RDNanoGuy
09-09-2011, 03:13 AM
Get an SWC 180 cone skimmer. Easy to setup, no muss no fuss! They work great! Call Paul at Oceanic Corals (site sponsor) he'll hook you up!

pirate
09-09-2011, 04:36 AM
Well it's gonna have to wait now. Work is sending me out of town for a few weeks. But I'm still gonna be looking for one so please keep up the suggestion. I'm leaning towards the in-180, but I've not made up my mind. Witch ones have good pumps on them? I don't want starting issues or anything else?
Thanks

RDNanoGuy
09-09-2011, 07:09 AM
If you want to have no starting issues stick to needlewheels and avoid the meshwheel designs.... You might have to go up a skimmer size to get equal performance though. Jm2c

fishytime
09-09-2011, 12:34 PM
just throwing this out there......My Girly runs an SWC that is three years old, the pump literally just died last week.....she said this is the second pump that has died on the skimmer (though she cant remember what happened to the first pump (she thinks her ex may have broken it when cleaning it)

Myka
09-09-2011, 02:55 PM
I have two SWC cone skimmers and they skim very well. The skimmer itself is well-designed.

The pumps on them are cheap, can't argue that. The Sicce PSK-2500 has restart issues which can be fixed by using a White Lightening or Red Devil needlewheel instead of the stock purple one. The way I see it is when the pump eventually dies, replace it with a better one. I find it is easier to spend $350 now, and $150 in a year or two for a replacement pump than spend $500-600 all in one go. Plus you got a year or two out of the first pump "for free".

The Vertex skimmers and EuroReef are good too. I have a couple of those as well. They are noisier than the SWC, but come with better pumps. You could mod the Vertex with a silencer on the air intake maybe..? Never tried it.

Palmer
09-09-2011, 04:19 PM
I have an SWC EXTREME 200 skimmer and am very happy with it. For me it is at the right ratio of price point and performance.

I know when I do eventually want to replace this skimmer I will be going with SWC again and using the money I saved on lighting and flow.

Palmer

freezetyle
09-09-2011, 04:31 PM
does vertex still use resun pumps?

globaldesigns
09-09-2011, 06:27 PM
I have two SWC cone skimmers and they skim very well. The skimmer itself is well-designed.

The pumps on them are cheap, can't argue that. The Sicce PSK-2500 has restart issues which can be fixed by using a White Lightening or Red Devil needlewheel instead of the stock purple one. The way I see it is when the pump eventually dies, replace it with a better one. I find it is easier to spend $350 now, and $150 in a year or two for a replacement pump than spend $500-600 all in one go. Plus you got a year or two out of the first pump "for free".

The Vertex skimmers and EuroReef are good too. I have a couple of those as well. They are noisier than the SWC, but come with better pumps. You could mod the Vertex with a silencer on the air intake maybe..? Never tried it.

+1, I have had the pump quite on me on my SWC160... But I will say Jason at SWC was great to deal with and had a new one to me asap, under warranty. I wouldn't hesitate dealing with him again.

In regards to the restart issue, yes they do have this problem. The original pump that died and the new pump, both won't restart if unplugged then re-plugged. Easy fix was to just blow into the tubing of the air intake, always starts. The problem would be if the power goes out, well then it won't restart, and if you are not there, most likely will fry itself.

SWC is well built, and if possible, I would upgrade the pump right from the start. Not sure if you can do this, but contact SWC directly and ask.

pirate
09-10-2011, 04:55 PM
I have tried an swc venturi skimmer, but could never get a realiable skim out of it. The cheep Berlin worked better then it. But it just died. ( still have both of them running in the sump). Are the cone ones better?
I know you get what you pay for, but some times the most expensive is no the best as you are paying for the name. That's why I'm asking.

Since I started this, I have a swc ( older cone one I think rated for 200+) that needs new pumps. Would it be better to re-pump that one or buy new? It has 2 sicce 2500 on it. If so what would be a better pumps to run on it?

Or stice with my original plan and buy a new one?

fishytime
09-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Have a garage sale..... Sell all the old skimmers, then buy a Bubble King:razz::wink:

Myka
09-10-2011, 05:46 PM
SWC is well built, and if possible, I would upgrade the pump right from the start. Not sure if you can do this, but contact SWC directly and ask.

SWC told me they are testing out a new pump for all the skimmers currently using the Sicce. Maybe next year they will have it out with a new pump...?

ALBERTA REEF
09-11-2011, 04:09 PM
I have a asm 2g skimmer for sale. Here is the thread. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73964

unclesalty
09-16-2011, 04:52 AM
Have a garage sale..... Sell all the old skimmers, then buy a Bubble King:razz::wink:

Totally agree with you on the Bubble King- Its the best skimmer I have owned so far and I did just own an Vertex Alpha Cone previously which was an awesome skimmer as well.

Bblinks
09-16-2011, 06:50 AM
You can probably find a bbk mini 180 or 200 on canreef around 5-6 hundred. I would highly recommend it. I had the 180 running on my heavily stocked 210 for a year and it was awesome. The ease of cleaning along with top notch performance, and a built quality second to none. Once you use one it's hard to go back to any other skimmers. That's why when I finally upgraded, I bought the supermarin 250 with out a second thought. Guarranty you will love it. Btw did i mention they are quiet.
Vertex alpha cones are also a great choice but they are bout a grand new. Used ones are hard to come by.