PDA

View Full Version : Torch Coral busted for attempted Homicide!

Myka
09-07-2011, 10:58 PM
I was feeding the reef today, everyone looks happy...busily savaging the food I added. All of a sudden the gold Torch Coral grabs the Jawfish! :eek: Jawfish is stuck on, suddenly motionless, and not breathing. Sh**, f***, d***!!!! :twised: So I use turkey baster to get Jawfish off the Torch. Jawfish floats around tank motionless. :cry: I reach in to grab Jawfish and find he's wiggling a bit. I go get a specimen container, and put Jawfish in there. He is breathing one big GASP every 10-15 seconds. He's a goner for sure. :cry: I turn off the tank lights to help him calm down. As I watch, the gasps are getting closer together. Eventually he is gasping heavily and is start to flick around a bit in the container. Then he starts swimming around wanting out. So I let him out. He's now swimming around the tank looking stressed as hell, and can't seem to find his burrow. I hope he gets his fried brain sorted out, and is ok. Nothing like seeing nature in action!! Very cool, but sad for the little guy.

Zoaelite
09-07-2011, 11:05 PM
Currently on A&E:
The First 48: Pearly gets Torched

Next on A&E:
The First 48: Blood on the Carpet

After that on A&E:
Hoarders Buried Alive: Special segment on fish tank Hoarders Myka and The Grizz!

In all seriousness that's freaking crazy! Never thought a regular run of the mill torch could be stinging fish like that, I will stick to my SPS and zoas haha.

Zoaelite
09-07-2011, 11:07 PM
Perhaps if you were feeding Pacifica plankton your Torch would be nutritionally complete and wouldn't require Blenny snacks:lol:?

The Grizz
09-07-2011, 11:21 PM
:razz:Currently on A&E:
The First 48: Pearly gets Torched

Next on A&E:
The First 48: Blood on the Carpet

After that on A&E:
Hoarders Buried Alive: Special segment on fish tank Hoarders Myka and The Grizz!

In all seriousness that's freaking crazy! Never thought a regular run of the mill torch could be stinging fish like that, I will stick to my SPS and zoas haha.

:razz: jealous

Zoaelite
09-07-2011, 11:28 PM
Not so much jealously , more in the realm of apprehension.

Apprehension towards the fact that one day I know I will be on the hoarder special... this is an addicting hobby we got going :razz:.

The Grizz
09-07-2011, 11:36 PM
Not so much jealously , more in the realm of apprehension.

Apprehension towards the fact that one day I know I will be on the hoarder special... this is an addicting hobby we got going :razz:.

Maybe they should do a show on zoa hoarder's, I would suggest they start at your house :lol:

Myka

Very weird, isn't it strange how a clown can host in a torch but a jawfish gets it's brain scrambled.

Myka
09-07-2011, 11:59 PM
OMG ZoaElite you kill me!!!!!!! :lol:

Very weird, isn't it strange how a clown can host in a torch but a jawfish gets it's brain scrambled.

Yes, so strange. Wild world of wet things. Ok, that sounds a bit funny.

The Grizz
09-08-2011, 12:20 AM
Yes, so strange. Wild world of wet things. Ok, that sounds a bit funny.

You say funny but my mind went straight in the gutter & down the drain.:twised:

Aquarium_Medics
09-08-2011, 12:33 AM
Glad I'm not alone with the mental trip.

Myka
09-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Perverts! :eek: :lol:

Jawfish found his burrow overnight, and looks ok. I will feed the tank in a bit...hopefully he eats!

gobytron
09-08-2011, 01:55 PM
what kind of jawfish?

skabooya
09-08-2011, 02:39 PM
BAHAHAHA this thread is great. :) Great morning laugh.

lastlight
09-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Thankfully you were there. I never considered the fish-stinging ability of an LPS... SPS sure but this surprises me.

Myka
09-08-2011, 03:21 PM
It is a Pearly Jawfish.

Brett, I've never been stung by an SPS coral, but I have been nailed by a few LPS. LPS are such slow growers comparatively that they require a significant offense!

I wish I got it on video. I had a video camera, and started videoing but I was too late he was already snapping out of it.

lastlight
09-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Sorry I meant an LPS' ability to sting SPS =)

Myka
09-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Sorry I meant an LPS' ability to sting SPS =)

Ya, that's weird eh? I've been nailed by several LPS, never an SPS. However, if an SPS falls onto an LPS the SPS kicks ass.

lastlight
09-08-2011, 03:29 PM
I haven't really witnessed much of that since I perma-mount nearly everything. I'm not sure how I could have missed this somehow lol but I was under the impression LPS usually killed SPS. Oops.

Ignorance is bliss I suppose!

Myka
09-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Ask my Scoly if he liked the Mille standing on him! Mille doesn't have a mark on him, and Scoly was clinging to life! Mille fell off frag rack.

A lot of my stuff has fallen down...was all perma-mounted at one point. Too many other things to do right now!

NemoanDory
10-05-2011, 07:26 AM
Wow I was just looking at getting a torch today but I think after reading this I'll pass lol.

Myka
10-11-2011, 01:32 AM
I'm starting to think the Jawfish was suicidal! He met his demise in the freaking Open Brain coral this morning! He ate fine this morning, 30 mins later he was doing a lip stand in the brain coral! I put him back in the specimen container, but alas this time he did not revive. :eek:

Aquarium_Medics
10-11-2011, 05:15 AM
Or the original brain fry took out the part that warns them to stay away and it looked like a snack.

doch
10-11-2011, 07:32 AM
Or it was sick/weak before it hit the torch.