PDA

View Full Version : marine fish supplements

nozwal
09-07-2011, 01:08 AM
Hi i was just wondering what is a good brand ( and not that expensive) saltwater fish supplements do u guys use or heard of.
i have seen " Zoe" around and i think its over price for a little bottle.
from exprience what do u guys think its a bang for ur buck supplements for fish?

i am also using "fuel" (reef supplements ) for my corals, would using both supplements damage the tank?

Braeden
12-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Well, I've seen a documentary on the topic of supplements for pet fish.
But, I don't emphasize on it. Give them what they can digest and you can
afford.
But care is must.

Myka
12-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Selcon is probably the most used supplement on the market. It is about $15 and will last a couple years or so depending on how many fish you are feeding. I mix this in with my homemade seafood-based frozen food.

Kent Garlic Extreme is another common supplement that may help prevent some parasites like Ich. Garlic is supposed to boost the immune system in vertebrates. Some people swear by it, others call it snake oil. I like it, and use it about 3x per week. It is also about $15, and will last forever! You literally use one drop per feeding. Mine has recently gone bad (smells a bit off now) after having used it for 4 years...there is still 1/4 of the bottle left. Garlic also tends to attract finicky fish to try new foods or to start eating when first acquired. I really like to use it with new fish in quarantine. Now that my Kent Garlic needs to be replaced I am going to replace it with the Brightwell Aquatics version (about $20) because I think they are a better brand.

There are a bunch of nutrient lowering systems on the market that tend to each have their own fish food supplements as well like Brightwell Aquatics, Zeovit, Fauna Marin, etc. Not sure if they all have fish food supplements or not.

Funky_Fish14
12-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Selcon is probably the most used supplement on the market. It is about $15 and will last a couple years or so

I burned through mine in just a few short months without even doing that many tanks :razz:

lastlight
12-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Can you incorporate selcon/garlic with pellets? My fish eat NLS... can I soak the pellets in it for a few minutes or will that not do much? I'd waste a lot of the stuff doing so...

jtbadco
12-10-2011, 07:57 PM
soaking the pellets is a great way to supplement their diet

lastlight
12-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Soak and then strain before adding to tank? I'm assuming you don't want all the selcon etc going in?

jtbadco
12-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Nope, Selcon is beneficial in food or even just added to the water. Soak for 10-15 mins then let em have it.

I give my tank a 'wet mix' twice a week. It's a mix of chopped shrimp, cyclopeeze, phytoplankton, zooplankton, fresh garlic and selcon