PDA

View Full Version : warning killer clown fish buyer beware )

lockrookie
09-06-2011, 03:02 AM
i posted this on another site but canreef was upgrading so now i must share this with you.

must say clownfish are very personable fun to watch. but i never thought nemo would be worse than a ****** off pitbull.. i have noted before that my clown fish love to take a few tiny chunks out of me when doing maintenance.. but i solved that with gloves...and let them have their fun bitting away...

when we had just one clown he was fine friendly and happily swam around me as if i was his best friend but with the mated pairs. very territorial very agressive.. which brings me to todays tidbit..

i have never in my life had a fish fire itself out of a tank right at my face until today.. suicidal? death wish? im guessing nipping at my gloves was not enough cause it flew out of my 50g through the access door opening right atmy face hitting my cheek and falling to the floor.. bugger had to have flown 2 feet to get to me. utterly shocked the living sh.. out of me. so i let him suffer on the floor for a min. little basterd. sccoped him up and threw him back in..but seriously..really..no words can describe.

so to al clown fish owners beware...they are out to get usall .. or just me lol

The Grizz
09-06-2011, 03:14 AM
I think it's just you :lol: I have 3 clowns in the 167 gal, 2 mated Cin's & a gold bar maroon in the 116 gal & a small tomato, gold bar & 2 perc's in the 48 gal but have never had any thing even remotely happen like this, not even so much as a nibble.

Maybe he was just ****ed at you for not feeding it enough :twised:

reef93
09-06-2011, 03:28 AM
I think it's just you :lol: I have 3 clowns in the 167 gal, 2 mated Cin's & a gold bar maroon in the 116 gal & a small tomato, gold bar & 2 perc's in the 48 gal but have never had any thing even remotely happen like this, not even so much as a nibble.

Maybe he was just ****ed at you for not feeding it enough :twised:

+1 :mrgreen:

toytech
09-06-2011, 04:35 AM
Thats funny right there ! I only have one clown and will only have one strictly for that reason . Though maybe he felt bad for biting you and wanted to kiss and make up.

marie
09-06-2011, 04:39 AM
My clarkii was just as evil.......although she never jumped right out of the water to attack. she did however draw blood on a few occasions :twised:

Maverick00
09-06-2011, 05:05 AM
I get nipped at constantly when cleaning the tank from my clown... after hearing this though i might just throw on a pair of safety glasses next time :mrgreen:

lastlight
09-06-2011, 05:08 AM
Maybe the kids tap the glass and he's had enough?

lockrookie
09-06-2011, 09:37 AM
i can understand the kids tapping but really they dont. they try to bite everyones fingers as you feed them and they get fed more than enough...part of the reason for my algea problem.... i just think in general i have ninja clowns trained in the art of suicidal attacks.

i do agree with the safety glasses idea, id be ok with swimming goggles.. lol cause if i hadnt moved my head the bugger would have landed his teeth into my eye...instead it bounced off the side of my head...i wish i had a video camera running at that moment. coulda won some tank fundage from funniest home vids.. so to bebon the safe side i think i will start recording my maintenance timesjust incase lol

i can tell you all tha i willbe more cutious inmy cleaning from now on those orange piranas are out to get me and will not rest untill ive been maimed or eaten

sphelps
09-06-2011, 01:19 PM
I had a clown with the exact same attitude. It also eventually took a shoot at me by jumping into my face while I was balancing on a stool and leaning right over the tank placing a coral or something, needless to say it wasn't my best moment. I hate clown fish :crutch:

Proteus
09-06-2011, 04:17 PM
I have three and it seems they try to host me while my hands in the tank never once nipped but love to brush off my hand and arm

Lance
09-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Although my Fire Clowns have never left the water to get me, they will however, take a nice-sized chunk out of you if you get within 2 feet of their Nem. Once the big bitch got me good and when I pulled my hand back I cracked my elbow on the euro-bracing. Came real close to filleting her that day!

Aquaria
09-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Maybe he hates being in a tank and misses the wild lol He was an adrenaline junkie and got his kicks being chased around by sharks and such :p

Ross
09-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Perhaps you have Finding Nemo on the tv far too much and its just trying to reinact the escape scene.

shootingstar
09-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Ok thanks.....now I'm stuck with the concept of "ninja clowns" in my head...

seriously....would they sneak into your house in the dark of night and leave balloon animals all over the place?

kies1
09-07-2011, 12:11 AM
My one clown is evil. Nips and has jumped out of the tank to get my hand as well. Can't put my hand in the tank without getting nipped. The other one I have is harmless. The evil one is a black ocellaris the nice one is orange.

Mechaninano
09-07-2011, 02:33 AM
I have only one Black Ice Semi-Snowflake clown that instantly gets agitated whenever my hand gets close to the surface. So far I have about a 2 minute time frame until the nipping starts. I'm still working on feeding my corals as quick as possible lol. lil:twised:

Wayne
09-07-2011, 02:59 AM
I just pet my occ clownfish :) He knew I had food so he allows it.

lockrookie
09-07-2011, 05:28 AM
its possible they have seen me eat seafood.... but im not admitting to anything..

marie
09-07-2011, 09:12 PM
its possible they have seen me eat seafood.... but im not admitting to anything..

They could hardly hold that against you.....they eat seafood too :lol: