PDA

View Full Version : Blonde Naso Tang feeding question

sully08
09-05-2011, 06:30 PM
I just picked up a beautiful 5" BNT. He seems to be adjusting to his 220g quite nicely. He does not have much interest in meaty foods such as Mysis,brine shrimp etc. He loves to graze on the live rock and he picks at Nori sheets that I put on a clip for him. Would this be enough for him? or is there something else I can try. Will he eventually take the mysis and brine shrimp? I have only had him for about 5 days.

reefwars
09-05-2011, 06:34 PM
if hes grazing and eats nori then your fine, im sure as he gets more use to the tank and sees the other fish eat he will explore new foods that you offer,main thing is hes eating and not stressed:):)

naesco
09-05-2011, 07:11 PM
I just picked up a beautiful 5" BNT. He seems to be adjusting to his 220g quite nicely. He does not have much interest in meaty foods such as Mysis,brine shrimp etc. He loves to graze on the live rock and he picks at Nori sheets that I put on a clip for him. Would this be enough for him? or is there something else I can try. Will he eventually take the mysis and brine shrimp? I have only had him for about 5 days.

Did you observe him eating aggressively in the LFS?
Adult nasos are notorious for refusing to eat.
The iffy eating you post will ultimately lead to the decline and death of the tang due to starvation.

Feed it brown algae which is what the naso's eat in the wild. That is what he is looking for on the rocks. Soak the food in garlic extract which acts as a feeding stimulant. Soak the food in selcon frequently as well. Although your tang should be aggressively going after the mysis and shrimp you add to the tank, they are algae eaters.
These tangs really appreciate lots of oxygenated water movement so if this is lacking add a power head a few inches below the water level.

Good luck.

fishytime
09-05-2011, 09:11 PM
if the naso is picking at nori, then you could trying making your own sushi for him.......do as naesco said and soak some mysis in garlic and selcon.....take a small piece of pvc and wrap a strip of nori around it with some of the shrimp in between the layers of nori..... hold it on the pvc with an elastic band......

Wayne
09-05-2011, 09:12 PM
It may take him awhile to start eating meaty foods. I have had a Juv. Tomini tang for over a week now and I just saw him eat his first pellet today (obviously hes eating nori like crazy). So just hang in there :)

sully08
09-06-2011, 11:54 AM
if the naso is picking at nori, then you could trying making your own sushi for him.......do as naesco said and soak some mysis in garlic and selcon.....take a small piece of pvc and wrap a strip of nori around it with some of the shrimp in between the layers of nori..... hold it on the pvc with an elastic band......

Where is the best place to get the garlic extract, and I am not familiar with selcon.

fishytime
09-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Where is the best place to get the garlic extract, and I am not familiar with selcon.

You could probably find both at Red Coral in E-town:biggrin: