PDA

View Full Version : Ecotech Marine Radion LED

asylumdown
09-02-2011, 05:33 PM
So these just announced, not yet released fixtures from Ecotech are making me a little moist. Curious though about the green and red LEDs, is it just for a visual improvement to give your tank a more 'true to life' look (as opposed to just white and blue), or do they provide any benefit to the corals be ways of added spectrum? I'm wondering if the extra red lamps will help hit that 600-700nm red range that most LED fixtures seem to be low on.

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=582ff4e805d7c46214ae94c13&id=0165096868&e=383021576d

This is making me glad I waited on buying light fixtures for my new tank. 6 of these puppies would cover my entire tank, and I'm already a vortech junkie...

abcha0s
09-02-2011, 06:17 PM
We are pretty excited about these LEDs also.

There's a little more information here:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77934

- Brad

asylumdown
09-02-2011, 10:42 PM
They look awesome from a features point of view, and I've got 4 vortech pumps, the oldest of which having been upgraded twice (who else can claim that kind of longevity?), so that alone attracts me to this manufacturer, but I'm still trying to sort out if the addition of the extra colors will actually benefit the corals in some tangible way, or if it's purely an aesthetic thing. Not saying this is a bad thing necessarily, but most of the high-end LED light manufacturers seem to emphasize the electronic bling first (controllability, thunderstorm effects that seem gimmicky to me at best), when my first concern is whether or not the light can grow the biggest, healthiest, most colorful corals quickly.

It will be interesting to see them when they publish some photos and people get their hands on them for the first time. I know they say you need about 1 fixture per 40 gallons, which for me would work out to 7 fixtures, but using the 24x24 inch coverage calculation, I think I'd only really need 6. Not sure how much they're going to cost in Canada yet, but based on the pricing in their release that will be 800 to 1000 dollars cheaper than a 6 foot Vertex fixture and it will solve the problem of covering my 34 inch wide tank. Needless to say, this is a very exciting development, I just hope any quantifiable improvements these will provide to coral husbandry will be known by the time they're for sale in October.