PDA

View Full Version : Metal Halide Questions VS. T5

Lethbridge
09-02-2011, 03:19 AM
So I'm in the midst of setting up my custom 60 gallon tank (36"L x 24"D x 18"H) and I plan to do mostly sps and some Zoa's as well. Now my biggest issue is deciding on a light that will suite my needs. My first option is T5 and I would do an 8 bulb unit. My next option would be MH but I am curious as to what I would use for MH. Would I use 1-150w, 2-150w bulbs with t5 supplementation or like 1-250w or or 2-250w? I am looking to hang the unit atleast 6"-8" to help expel heat and so I don't get burned for maintenance. I was leaning towards the single 250w or double 150w if that would be enough light for my tank?
Thanks in advance for your help.

fishytime
09-02-2011, 03:26 AM
If T5 and MH are the only options your considering, then I would go with T5......at 18" deep 8 bulbs of T5 will give you enough light to do whatever you want as far as corals go and less issues with heat..........and more options for color........only downfall is the $200 bulb swaps:wink:

lastlight
09-02-2011, 03:26 AM
I think a lower Kelvin 250w bulb may be overkill at 18"... or at least not NEEDED. I'd never do a single mh over 36" at any rate so I'd do 2 x 150w 14k or 2 x 250w 20k. I think a 36" T5 on either side of the mh's would be nice too so you can view the tank longer than the period of your mh's.

8 T5 bulbs on their own would work very well too.

250w gear is much more versatile as it can be carried over to your next upgrade...

rastaangel
09-02-2011, 03:30 AM
I think it depends on were you plan to put the corals... if you wanted to do a full top to bottom SPS stock like I did on my 90g I would do 2x250 w/ T5 supplemental to get good light to the bottom. But then again thats around 10 watts/g which is fairly high... If you did 2x150 w/ T5 and kept the SPS to the top and zoos and others on the lower half you would be able to manage that

Lethbridge
09-02-2011, 04:44 AM
I like the fact with t5 you get the colour variation but I am still keeping my options open as too t5, I would have liked to go with led but I just bought a new tv and I'll have to put off the led project till then. The plan is to eventually upgrade to led so this light will be temperary for now. If I was to choice MH I would like to use the 14k phoenix bulb(s), if that makes a difference. Also there will be 4 t5 two on each side of the MH. What would be the big disadvantage of one 250w over 36" length? If I decided with 2-150w halides would that not be able to grow sps anywhere in the tank?

lastlight
09-02-2011, 04:53 AM
I think the 2x150w would be fine.

A single 250 is ok but you'll find the stuff right under it will do far better than the rest (sps) and then the stuff on the edges is going to get less and less light. That's what I found with one light (and what I'm finding looking at my tank front-to-back as the stuff up top grows bigger.

kien
09-02-2011, 04:59 AM
As fishy said, the 8bulb T5 on an 18" high tank will be more than enough to grow pretty much anything. The halide option is OK too if you can look past the heat issue. Another thing to consider is the fact that the halides will shimmer your tank, where as the T5s will not. To get shimmer while using T5's you'd have to supplement with LEDs.

I personally prefer a combination of T5s with Halides. Halides to grow corals and for the shimmer effect, and t5s for supplementation and colour adjustment.

lastlight
09-02-2011, 05:20 AM
As fishy said, the 8bulb T5 on an 18" high tank will be more than enough to grow pretty much anything. The halide option is OK too if you can look past the heat issue. Another thing to consider is the fact that the halides will shimmer your tank, where as the T5s will not. To get shimmer while using T5's you'd have to supplement with LEDs.

I personally prefer a combination of T5s with Halides. Halides to grow corals and for the shimmer effect, and t5s for supplementation and colour adjustment.

T5s will also light the sides of the coral a bit better.

kien
09-02-2011, 05:31 AM
T5s will also light the sides of the coral a bit better.

very true. T5s are a much more enveloping light where Halides is more directional much like the sun.

lorenz0
09-02-2011, 06:10 AM
^^^

willing to do a test, put the same frag in each tank at the same depth/ distance from the light in each of your tanks?

gobytron
09-02-2011, 01:59 PM
I dont think anything will make you happier than 2X250 MH and 4Xt5's...

Best of both worlds.

Lethbridge
09-02-2011, 05:10 PM
I like the shimmer of the MH and with the t5 supplementation I can get the colour correct. I know that a halide does about 24" x 24" area so really I'll be looking at two halides now I just have to work on the depth issue which is only 16" worth of water once you take into account the sand bed. So would two 150w not be enough to grow sps anywhere in the tank? I'm not looking for anything large than need fro this setup as if I do upgrade I will get a bigger light. I also run fans on my setup to keep it cool on very hot summer days, my temp ranges from 78 to 81, if I kept the light about 8" or so would that help keep it cooler? The 250w seems to be quite alot of light and typically I've read that 250w halide is for 24" deep tanks or more and 150w are for 18" or less.

lastlight
09-02-2011, 05:41 PM
You're certainly going to have a lot more heat to worry about with 2x250 vs 2x150 that's for sure. Fans were not enough for me when I went to 2x250 and that's on a 97g. Every scenario/location is different. I suspect the 150s are ok but I preder 250s for their portability and much better bulb selection.

globaldesigns
09-02-2011, 06:05 PM
MH are more penetrating, as other said very defined and intense, whereas T5 are move enveloping... But MH (I run 2X250W) can penetrate to the bottom of my tank with no issues, and my tank is 26-27 inches deep.

Also nice affect of the MH is the shimmering and rays through the water, kinda like in nature itself.