PDA

View Full Version : I have a dumb question ...

reef93
09-01-2011, 10:52 PM
I want to buy Magnesium from Bulk reef, but they have 2 different kinds. One is called Mag Sulfate and another is called Mag Chloride :redface: Which one are you guys using in your tank, and what is the difference between them ? What are the benefits from each of them, or do I need to buy both kinds ?

Bblinks
09-01-2011, 11:07 PM
I like to use the premixed packs from brs due to the ease of usage. You need to mis both mags 5 cups of the chloride and 3 cups of the sulphate to make a gallon container but for the amount you need to keep your mag around 1350 its more economic to buy premixed packs. I go through 6-7 gallons of cal and alk before i even hit a gallon of mag. 10 premixed bags will last me a year on a 210 gallon heavy stock sps tank.

Lampshade
09-01-2011, 11:11 PM
People do a mix, 5 cups Mag Cloride, and 3 cups of Mag Sulphate to a gallon of water.

check out:
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/Recipe-1-Instructions-for-Bulk-Packaged-Materials

You can just add one or the other, but you are trying to not overdo your chlorine or sulphates, they are very abundant in the tank, so hard to do, but over time...

Randy's page has a graph showing what happens over time, can't find the link anymore, it's his recipie that people use.

Also... Mag Sulphate is Epsom salts :) might be cheaper, you just don't know about how much "other" stuff is in there without lots of research.

George
09-01-2011, 11:12 PM
I want to buy Magnesium from Bulk reef, but they have 2 different kinds. One is called Mag Sulfate and another is called Mag Chloride :redface: Which one are you guys using in your tank, and what is the difference between them ? What are the benefits from each of them, or do I need to buy both kinds ?

There is no dump question.
You need both to make the 3rd part in Randy's recipe. Randy explains it very well in this article: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php#6
FYI, there is a sponsor here, caco3reef, that sells all chemicals you need for Randy's recipe. After all the saving in shipping and duties and such, caco3reef's price is similar to BRS's price.
If you want to save more, you can buy baking soda and bake it...but yeah...caco3reef has it all.

Aquattro
09-01-2011, 11:15 PM
There is no dumb question.

There's tons of dumb questions, this just isn't one of them :)

reef93
09-01-2011, 11:45 PM
For heaven sake ... I didn't know that is too complicated. I don't trust myself for mixing things, especially some kind of chemicals, I may kill my whole tank. I'd rather buy a premix kind and ready to use, maybe pay a little more but I feel safer.
Thanks guy, from now on I will ask you before I decide to try something new ... phew ...

Lampshade
09-01-2011, 11:59 PM
If it makes you feel better, i mix driveway De-Icer (mag CL) and Epsom salts into a milk jug with "Do not Drink" written on the side. Lots of people do the mix, It's not too bad if you follow the directions.

reef93
09-02-2011, 12:09 AM
If it makes you feel better, i mix driveway De-Icer (mag CL) and Epsom salts into a milk jug with "Do not Drink" written on the side. Lots of people do the mix, It's not too bad if you follow the directions.

Ha ha ha ... :mrgreen::mrgreen: If you know me you will understand why I am so chicken about mixing things. I am a very absent minded person sometimes. When I do cooking, I put salt and thought that it was sugar, the whole dinner is ruined and garbage. No, I am not going to take any chances on my tank, I don't trust myself.

Aquaria
09-02-2011, 04:26 AM
There's tons of dumb questions, this just isn't one of them :)

While I agree with you part of me wants to say the only stupid question is an unasked one