PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice for set up

Tacoyaki
09-01-2011, 06:23 AM
Hey guys I was wondering if any of you could offer some advice towards this small project im about to start. First of all, I was planning of building a stacker stand that could hold 2 20 gallon long tanks and a sump at the bottom.

That part isn't so complicated but the part I need advice on is the plumbing. After finding out the cost of getting the tank drilled I've been trying to stay away from that idea.

Anyone with plumbing experience know a way where I can get the water to over flow from the highest tank to the second tank then to the sump? Or am I better off with getting the pump to direct water on both the tanks?

yellowworld
09-01-2011, 06:34 AM
Are the tanks going to be side by side but on different levels? If that is the case you might want to try drilling the tanks yourself, just pick up a bit at HD or you can ask around on here and see if someone can help you out! thats how i got mine done.

But if you do decide to drill it this is a great design, its only one hole and an overflow box
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnng4xteNOo

the design of the tank is here, its basically a return pump to the top tank and then an overflow box to the sump of the lower tank
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2016108

If you don't drill it i'm sure it will still work with a little adaptation so that you can run a continuous syphon to the lower tank from the top.

Best of luck!

Tacoyaki
09-01-2011, 07:54 AM
At first I was gonna make the tank go side to side with one tank higher than the other (Basically same as the ones in the link but separate tank). But Things changed and they're going to be stacked up on top of one another.

Would doing a diy pvc overflow work for both tanks?

yellowworld
09-01-2011, 08:34 AM
Would doing a diy pvc overflow work for both tanks?

It should. So long as you build them the same so that the flow rates are the same, you could have the top drain into the bottom and the bottom to the sump then pump it back up to the top

The only issue i can see is that the bottom tank might get dirtier then the top one but that might not be a big deal

Tacoyaki
09-01-2011, 08:45 AM
Well I'm planning on keeping the bottom tank as a frag tank/Iso, and the top as a display. So the bottom tank should be clean or that's the idea anyways. And thanks for your help :) I'll go give it a shot first thing tomorrow