PDA

View Full Version : SPS keepers...no alternating current?

Son Of Skyline
06-24-2002, 01:26 PM
Are any of you sps keepers out there not using wavemakers or sea swirls or anything like that? Anybody keeping just a simple constant water flow with powerheads or closed loop? I'm wondering if I really need a wavemaker or if it's just more for show than anything else. I read a long thread on Reefcentral and there was a big discussion that they are unnecessary. Just wanted to know what you all thought. Thanks in advance.

Aquattro
06-24-2002, 03:11 PM
Mason, are they necessary? No. Are they benificial? Yes. Before I started using a wave maker, I noticed the sps' growth pattern was dependant on the direction of flow most often hitting them. Alternating the flow gives a more symetric growth pattern, IMO. It also changes the current slightly each time it passes a coral, which is more likely to wash away waste materials.
If you be creative with a couple of cheap timers, you can simulate a wave maker without the high cost.
A lot of the "toys" in the hobby aren't necessary, but many of them do provide varying degrees of benefit. Whether it is worth $200 to change current is a personal choice.

Doug
06-24-2002, 08:52 PM
I used a Tsunami, several years ago. Yes, its a great wavemaker. I never thought is made much difference though.

I sold it and have never used another. I find random currents made by opposing ph,s or several different returns from external pumps to be just as good.

When running my ATS, the surge dumped right on a couple of pink birdsnest colonies. Never seen any difference before or after, since removing it.

Now on a tank full of sps, that may be another story. Not sure. I do know that lots of current is needed and from different directions, to get water movement around the sps growth. I have also never tried a SeaSwirl or similar.

SuperFudge
06-24-2002, 11:20 PM
Hey Mason,
I dont use one nor care to,i dont believe they are worth their money for what benefits they might achieve,provided a generaly high volume and chaotic current are still provided.

Good for making sure detritus has less places to sit though,as with constant outputs there are low current areas that will always tend to accumulate it.
Nothing that a good powerhead blast wont fix.... ;) .
Even with wave makers we will still have detritus accumulating in areas,that will eventually need a blast with a baster or powerhead.

Marc.

Son Of Skyline
06-25-2002, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the info everyone smile.gif