PDA

View Full Version : Where to find reef safe silicone in Vancouver?

ScubaSteve
09-01-2011, 12:28 AM
I know I can get it at J&L but I feel like I'm paying double for it there. I know I need a silicone WITHOUT mildew resistance but I'm curious as to what brands people recommend and where they got it from.

Cheers,

K

paddyob
09-01-2011, 12:45 AM
Any petshop has it.

6-7 bucks. For a couple dollars more, I like the peace of mind knowing it's safe. And honestly. It's cheap.

e46er
09-01-2011, 02:56 AM
Rona brand silicone is aquarium safe
That's what I used on my sump

Reef Puffer
09-01-2011, 03:05 AM
i use the ge silicone II like 8 bucks a tube 100% silicone. i have used it by the tonne in my tanks fresh and salt and have NEVER had an issue with it (except the time i didnt let it cure fully...). can get it anywhere, i get it at Canadian tire.

BlueWorldAquatic
09-01-2011, 03:09 AM
Ge 1200 hands down

Call your local industrial supply store, or fastener supplier

Aquattro
09-01-2011, 03:13 AM
any hardware store. Unless you want black, that's harder to find

BlueWorldAquatic
09-01-2011, 03:15 AM
1200 comes in black also

Aquattro
09-01-2011, 03:17 AM
1200 comes in black also

Way harder to find, especially in the smaller tubes, and unless you're building a decent size tank, probably not worth the effort.

Reef Puffer
09-01-2011, 03:19 AM
any hardware store. Unless you want black, that's harder to find

i live in very small town and always black clear white or brown in stock. just needs a caulking gun.

Aquattro
09-01-2011, 03:25 AM
i live in very small town and always black clear white or brown in stock. just needs a caulking gun.

you're lucky! I always have trouble finding black. Last time Home Depot had it in GE II, so used that. LFS has small tubes af GE1200, but they charge about $25.
Large tubes of 1200 I can get direct from SeaStar aquariums.

megs_clark
09-01-2011, 03:55 AM
The white and blue bottle of ge silicone II. I think its windows and doors...I can look on the bottle tomorow. I get mine from Rona for like $4-5 a tube and walmart sometimes has it in double packs for $6 I think it was. Can get clear, and black but its not stocked as often. Just gotta make sure its the mildew free one like you said, and let it cure till the viniger smell dissapears, about 24 hours the glass place told me. Every time iv gone to Rona they have it.

toytech
09-01-2011, 04:43 AM
Ge II for me too , get it from rona for cheap for the big tube , $5 gets you alot of silicone.

ScubaSteve
09-01-2011, 08:38 PM
Ya, this is what I was looking for. HD has the GE II for $6 for big tube of it. And they have it in black if the owners of black silicone tanks can convert me to the "dark" side by Saturday. Other than that, I'd be getting the tube of All-glass brand from J&L for over $10, in clear only (or get two small tubes of black for $7 ea). So yes, I agree I should be getting a good quality silicone to do the job for piece of mind (especially since I just discovered my old tank is failing in one of the joints last night) but really, I find it kind of hard to justify spending 2x to 3x as much for the same product. Rule #1 for this hobby should not be: open your wallet.

Reef Puffer
09-01-2011, 09:07 PM
was actually my lfs that put me onto GE II (has to be the window/door kind), must have been 10 years ago, they said they use it in all there tanks. GE II just changed the packaging on the clear (kinda worried me a little) but 3 tubes later and i think we're still fine. actually has an environmentally friendly logo on it now. i wait 24 hours, unless its cant breathe well (like alot of caulk between plastic or styro) then wait LONGER. looks like i get colour selection here in my small town but i pay a bit more.... (is like 18$ for a small squeeze tube of the stuff at the lfs, just go to rona or home depot)