PDA

View Full Version : ID help

Maverick00
08-31-2011, 10:45 PM
I have no idea how ive never noticed these before unless the population suddenly exploded but looking onto some of the smooth surfaces of LR i can see little bugs running around absolutely everywhere. They are red and brown in color and remind me of those tiny little red spiders you can hardly see in the summertime. I tried taking some pictures but they are so small you can hardly even make them out. Im assuming these are just copepods?

Maverick00
08-31-2011, 11:02 PM
perhaps they could be tigerpods, They run for abit then stop, then run for abit and stop. Sorta like ants. Ive just never seen so many in the tank ever. wanted to make sure it wasnt cause for concern.

ScubaSteve
08-31-2011, 11:12 PM
Sounds like pods of some sorts. I'm got a ton in my tank too. At night it looks like my rocks are moving. Fish like wrasses and mandarins love to eat them.

Flash
08-31-2011, 11:19 PM
sounds more like Red Reef Bugs to me, not a good thing if you have corals

http://www.melevsreef.com/redbugs.html

noirsphynx
09-01-2011, 12:15 AM
Sounds like pods to me. I have a ton running around on the glass.

lastlight
09-01-2011, 12:56 AM
Sounds like the same bugs I would spot on my emerald crab. They'd orbit around his arms etc at impressive speed. And yes exactly like those microscopic ones you chance upon outside water sometimes.

From what I've seen of red bugs these cannot be the same. My red bugs moved but like molasses.

Flash
09-01-2011, 01:07 AM
good.. then ignore my post... they are pods?! lol

Maverick00
09-01-2011, 02:26 AM
thanks guys,

Flash- the pictures shown of the red bugs look alot brighter and larger than what i was looking at thank god!

I tried taking more pictures of them but i just cant focus on something that small while its moving, it just looks like blurry dots in the pic.