PDA

View Full Version : Pruning Xenia and Colt Coral

Blue Ram
08-31-2011, 06:02 PM
I've read through some info on the forum and the net about pruning. The coral I need to prune is taking over liverock that my clam is attached to. What is the best way to prune the xenia and not put my clam at risk? I'd like to remove a couple of large areas right off the rock altogether. If I keep the rock submerged in water and make cuts with a razor blade will that work? I've never done any pruning before but I see several new sprouts of xenia appearing where I don't want them. What does everyone do with the xenia that you remove? Are any of the Calgary retailers willing to take them?

Can the colt coral be cut and removed without taking it out of the display tank?

Thanks in advance,

fishytime
08-31-2011, 06:32 PM
It's best to do any fragging outside of the tank whenever possible ..... Especially Xenia and Kenya.... Any little bit that happens to float away on you will likely sprout off new colonies....if you want the Xenia gone, then you will have to take some rock off with it..... Again any little remnants will grow.....do it in a bucket of water change water and then discard it....

FitoPharmer
08-31-2011, 09:27 PM
You can grow the corals on LR rubble and break it up by tearing the coral when it grows onto a few difference pieces. They are so hardy any little bits will start a new colony. You could frag like that without having to remove them from the tank. But I think fishytime is right about the dangers of fragging xenia especially in tank. I guess it depends on if you are worried it will take over or not.

toytech
08-31-2011, 10:08 PM
If your not worried about a take over you can cut them both with scissors or razors .

Blue Ram
08-31-2011, 10:23 PM
I was hoping there was a way to completely remove some of the tissue from the liverock so it simply does not grow back again but it sounds like that is not possible?

MKLKT
08-31-2011, 10:49 PM
It depends on what it is, I have Anthelia which pretty much just peels off the rock if you do it slowly and use a guitar pick or fingernail, I haven't had it grow back where I tore it off unless you count the 'creep' from the main colony.

ScubaSteve
08-31-2011, 10:55 PM
Xenia especially can be just peeled off the rock. I just get the edge of a razor under it and start peeling back. It'll go limp and slimy while you do it which makes it extra fun but just keep reefin' on it (no pun intended). Some areas of your rock will be more porous, so you'll have to scrape the get the flesh off. Keep your turkey baster handy to suck up floaters before they get away. Make sure you get all of the flash off otherwise it just grows back. I left a tiny layer of film/flesh on a rock once and two hours later there were new polyps forming. It was retarded...

toytech
09-01-2011, 04:44 AM
Its gonna stink too! Xenia smells so bad when you take it out of water.

MKLKT
09-01-2011, 05:16 AM
Its gonna stink too! Xenia smells so bad when you take it out of water.

This. I put the stuff I cut off into a ziploc baggie and even then after double bagging it the trash smells BRUTAL. Putting a bit of water in the bag helps a bit but it isn't perfect.