PDA

View Full Version : velvet question

cathyg_99
08-31-2011, 05:50 PM
i have a large galaxy coral i would like to sell but i believe i just had velvet, 3 fish died but a clown and inverts still remain and are doing well...

i dont want to be a jerk and just sell it to someone...

when do you think it will be safe to move and not infect anyones tank?

howdy20012002
08-31-2011, 06:17 PM
i personally wouldn't take the chance.
I would certainly let people know and let them choose whether or not they want to chance it.
Neal

cathyg_99
08-31-2011, 07:43 PM
i personally wouldn't take the chance.
I would certainly let people know and let them choose whether or not they want to chance it.
Neal

well i know that im just wondering if say i put it up for sale 8 weeks down the road will it be less likely that something will happen?

Myka
08-31-2011, 09:06 PM
Like Ich, your tank needs to remain fallow for several weeks in order for the velvet to be out of there. Honestly though, when people buy corals from a LFS or someone elses' tanks there is often Ich, velvet, Brook, etc in the tanks so buying from your tank really isn't any riskier than buying from an LFS.

daniella3d
08-31-2011, 11:11 PM
as long as you have it in your tank with fish it might be contaminated. The only way to get rid of fish parasite for sure is to leave the coral without fish for 8 weeks, then you will be relatively sure it's clean.

If it was velvet, all your fish would probably be dead. It was probably ick and it will probably come back sooner or later.

well i know that im just wondering if say i put it up for sale 8 weeks down the road will it be less likely that something will happen?

Madreefer
09-01-2011, 01:23 AM
She did lose all of her fish and apparently it was caused by velvet

daniella3d
09-01-2011, 05:08 AM
"3 fish died but a clown and inverts still remain and are doing well.."

She did lose all of her fish and apparently it was caused by velvet

fishoholic
09-01-2011, 12:23 PM
"3 fish died but a clown and inverts still remain and are doing well.."

inverts are not effected by velvet and I believe she put the clown in QT and was treating it.