PDA

View Full Version : Oddyssea modding

SpateD
08-31-2011, 02:07 PM
Has anyone ever tried modding their Oddysea? I've seen someone on RC retrofit his Oddysea fixture but my plan to add onto my fixture isn't quite the same.

My plans are as follows and I want DIY'ers to tell me what I need to change so I can do this correct.. I have a 48" fixture, 2 250W MH with 2 T5HO bulbs. There are 2 different options that I'm looking to figure out which is the best.

Option 1: I want to add a row of LED Royal Blues in-between both the MH and the T5 on either side of the fixture, running about 24 LED's on the whole fixture. This option comes with a heatsink that I will have to cut down to a single strip to use inside my fixture, but keep in mind, I'm using the stock fans that go above where the MHs are located and they turn on with the MH.

Option 2: Same idea as option one, except there are 36 LED's and no heatsink so they could glue right onto the reflective shield inside the fixture itself. (same locations, just adding a few more to places.)

Now, the reason I'm looking to do this is because my MHs are stock for now, and a big yellowish to the human eye, and my plan was, if I get 24 or 36 Royal Blue LEDs in the fixture, I could change to Fiji Purple T5 bulbs and have both spectrums.

Also, what I planned on having was the T5's automatically turn off (are not dimmable) about 30 minutes before I start dimming down the LEDs. I wanted the LEDs to automatically dim down to off (sunrise/sunset) over a 30 minute period.

On the photo I attached, on one side I added the LED locations for the 24 LED except just completely excluding the heatsink to give you a general idea of what my plan is.. No additional fans being added as of yet..

I'm also thinking about using one of these 2 kits.
http://www.aquastyleonline.com/produ...mable-Kit.html
http://www.aquastyleonline.com/produ...mable-Kit.html

So a few questions I have to those who know LEDs are..
1. Should I go with these LEDs?
2. Do I need to run another fan and/or heatsink inside my fixture?
3. Is this kit sufficient to run the way I'm looking for it to run?
4. Also, would it be beneficial to run 4 out of the 24 LEDs Red, or 6-8 out of the 36 Red?

cuz
08-31-2011, 03:16 PM
Why don't you just get rid of the 5$ Chinese bulbs and throw some quality bulbs in there ??????

SpateD
08-31-2011, 03:58 PM
I don't know... The more red/blue the better for sps in the future plus cheaper to maintain.
Also I want to be able to have a gradual sunset not just on and off.