PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on an ATO system

Steve'o
08-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Pretty new to reefing - 7 months now and constantly learning.
I have gone from a 29Gal up to a 90 Gal that I have to keep adding water to almost every other day.
I would like to have an Automatic Top off system for the tank but it is way to far from any water source.
I was thinking of having a large barrel close by the tank that I could keep full and would top off my sump when it get's below a certain level...
Any ideas on what I would need and how to do something like this without flooding my finished basement?
Thanks,
Steve'o

axe_man16
08-30-2011, 08:25 PM
I bought a Reef Keeper lite and the float switch kit with it. Not only it an ATO but a controller. Much easier having everything on the head unit not having to worry about the power going out and having to reset the timers for lights ect.

I set the reservoir above my sump (to make sure there was no syphon) placed some rigid tubing at the bottom of the reservoir. Then connected some flexible tubing to the rigid tubing and to a aqua lifter. The aqua lifter is then turned on when ever the float switch is tripped, and turns off when water is back to normal height. Works very well. And not much more than the more expensive ATO's you will find on the market.

globaldesigns
08-30-2011, 08:26 PM
Pretty new to reefing - 7 months now and constantly learning.
I have gone from a 29Gal up to a 90 Gal that I have to keep adding water to almost every other day.
I would like to have an Automatic Top off system for the tank but it is way to far from any water source.
I was thinking of having a large barrel close by the tank that I could keep full and would top off my sump when it get's below a certain level...
Any ideas on what I would need and how to do something like this without flooding my finished basement?
Thanks,
Steve'o

You will be given many options by others. I myself, dont' fool around and use the Tunze ATO. A little expensive, but well worth it.

Myka
08-30-2011, 08:31 PM
I use the Tunze Osmolator as well. It's the only one I trust. I keep a 5 gallon pail near the tank which the Osmolator pumps out of.

lastlight
08-30-2011, 08:33 PM
We need an ATO sticky lol. New reefers open it up and it just says "buy a tunze. word."

kien
08-30-2011, 08:34 PM
I use one of these (http://autotopoff.com/?gclid=CK7Jg5_u96oCFR5Egwods2Q35Q). Aside from having to clean the feather dusters off of it from time to time the thing appears to be bomb proof. Had mine going for over two years now. I liked it so much I bought a backup unit just in case.

If you can find float switches locally you can make your own quite easily. I was lazy so just bought this pre-made one instead. The second cut-off float is handy too in case the first one fails.

Myka
08-30-2011, 08:35 PM
We need an ATO sticky lol. New reefers open it up and it just says "buy a tunze. word."

Agreed! I think this is the third time in the last week that this question has been asked. :lol:

globaldesigns
08-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Its funny, people complain about the costs of the higher units like Tunze... But then really complain or quit this hobby when their DIY ATO project fails and damages the house.

Personally the $200 bucks for the Tunze is worth it. Has never failed for me, and don't want to flood the house from top up... Now a tank burst is a different issue.

Myka
08-30-2011, 08:38 PM
Its funny, people complain about the costs of the higher units like Tunze... But then really complain or quit this hobby when their DIY ATO project fails and damages the house.

All too true! There should be no messin around when it comes to ATOs.

lastlight
08-30-2011, 08:42 PM
I'm a Tunze fanboy (Stream and Osmolator divisions) but even I'll admit I've read plenty of threads over at RC where users have issues with the pumps or sensors.

I bought one used previously and it worked well so I bought a new one for this tank. Heck I even submerged the controller accidentally in water and it's rock-solid.

globaldesigns
08-30-2011, 08:45 PM
I'm a Tunze fanboy (Stream and Osmolator divisions) but even I'll admit I've read plenty of threads over at RC where users have issues with the pumps or sensors.

I bought one used previously and it worked well so I bought a new one for this tank. Heck I even submerged the controller accidentally in water and it's rock-solid.

Submerged? Cool, glad it didn't fry on you... I would only suggest to take a tooth brush once in a blue moon and lightly clean the sensor... Once the Tunze didn't kick in, and water ran low, but keeping the sensor clean fixed that. And using a toothbrush means you don't have to remove it to clean it.

lastlight
08-30-2011, 08:51 PM
It wasn't plugged in. I also soaked it in ro/di a few times then let it dry. this was before I even had my tank running =)

mike31154
08-31-2011, 04:34 AM
Sounds like your entire system is in the basement and if you don't mind having a top off container in the vicinity of the tank, my vote would be to elevate the top off container and do a simple gravity feed ATO through a mechanical float valve. About as simple & bullet proof as it gets and no electricity or pumps involved. The ATO container doesn't need to be very close as long as it's elevated above the level of the mechanical float valve in your sump or display. If there is a concern that the mechanical float valve may fail, keep the ATO vessel to a reasonable size so that the damage will be minimal. I've been using a mechanical float valve for more than two years (Wait brand humidifier valve) and there hasn't been a glitch.