PDA

View Full Version : Does anything encourage bta colour?

Son Of Skyline
01-30-2004, 02:55 PM
Just wondering. Does anything like the food you feed, certain water quality, lighting...etc affect bta colour? Or is what you see what you get?

Thank :smile:

Delphinus
01-30-2004, 04:29 PM
I think lighting probably the most influential. I've tried all kinds of different foods over many years but the only thing that really produced noticeable changes in colour appearance, in mine, were changes in lighting. The changes were somewhat subtle too. ..

BCOrchidGuy
01-30-2004, 04:40 PM
Tony, you're the anemone guy, I've got a question for you. If I get a BTA and put it in my tank, once it's found a spot to hang out, can I assume it's going to stay there if I don't make any drastic changes to it's surroundings or is it always going to wander around?

Doug

Delphinus
01-30-2004, 04:58 PM
I've found that they'll only move if stressed, overcrowded (which kind of goes to "stressed" I suppose), or in some cases, just about to split.

I suppose if you buy one from the store, it might still be adjusting to who-knows-what-it's-been-though, and likely light changes, parameter changes, so they might wander a bit until used to their new surroundings.

But every captive split I've moved myself, I'd create a spot that I'd "think" would be to its liking, and usually they would stay very well put.

With a BTA you want a hard smooth surface for it to attach to, but it should be an underhang, crevasse, or cave (or something like that); because (I've noticed) they seem to usually like a spot where they can keep their tentacles out in the open (light and current) but their pedal disk (foot) sheltered from both.

Basic answer is, they shouldn't be moving about, if "everything" is to their liking. Wandering behaviour means "something's up."

HTH! :biggrin:

BCOrchidGuy
01-30-2004, 06:26 PM
Yes it sure does help. I think if I'm going to have one it should go into the tank before my SPS etc does... .. maybe I better just stay away from them.
Thanks Tony

Doug

Aquattro
01-30-2004, 06:29 PM
I know that when mine moved and got sucked thru the stream, I had trimmed a bit of a milli about a foot away. This allowed a tiny fraction more light thru to the rose and it moved because of that. IMO, any subtle change can prompt a BTA to move