PDA

View Full Version : Angels and SPS

moppy
08-29-2011, 03:23 AM
Just curious if anyone has had problems with their angels picking at SPS corals? I thought that fish would only pick at fleshy kinds of coral...

I have a coral beauty, a flame and a majestic angel in my reef tank.

fishytime
08-29-2011, 03:46 AM
sps polyps are meaty:wink:......seems to be entirely, individual fish defendant......Im sure that if you asked the question to enough people you will find that someone somewhere has had each of the angels you have your tank, that has eaten everything from zoas to sps......my point is, any generalization is just that, when it comes to fish.....there is always an exception to the rule

viperfish
08-29-2011, 04:59 AM
You're taking your chances with Angels, Dwarf or the Large species, they're all very unpredictable. I do have a Bicolor in my SPS tank and no issues. I have a Keyhole Angel in my LPS/Softie tank and It does pick at Zoas but it hasn't affected my colonies enough to be concerned.

Aquattro
08-29-2011, 05:06 AM
I've got a Queen in my tank, mostly well behaved. If it's hungry, it will pick the occasional polyp off of one colony in particular. No visible damage though, so I just try to keep the tank well fed.

marie
08-29-2011, 05:30 AM
I have a regal angel, 2 potters angels and a black angel and all 4 eat sps.....mostly the acros although they will occasionally pick at my pocillipora and montipora too

kien
08-29-2011, 06:57 AM
My flame angel doesn't touch corals. My Queen Angel loves chalices and acans. My king and Regal angels like SPS. My clown tang likes zoas :neutral:

moppy
08-29-2011, 07:22 AM
Gessshhhh...

I had no idea that they would eat SPS though until I saw the flame nip at one that I've had for a year and was mysteriously dying....

I guess I'll either have to give up the angels or make a fish only tank with them in it and a few corals they won't eat!

Thanks for the input.

Aquattro
08-29-2011, 01:22 PM
My Queen Angel loves chalices and acans.

Perfect example of how each individual is different. Mine never touches chalice or acans.

Parker
08-29-2011, 02:04 PM
I have / had in the past. Fisheri, Flame and a Coral Beauty and I've never seen any of them touch a thing.

ScubaSteve
08-29-2011, 06:36 PM
Check out Jon Coppolino's famous angel and acro tank: http://vimeo.com/channels/glassboxdesign#13564370

I remember ready some where that he never had issues with them eating the SPS... then again, that guy has so many SPS that he wouldn't even notice!

rastaangel
08-29-2011, 06:45 PM
Neither my emperor or longnose butterfly fish go after my SPS... They eat zoos faster then anything else tho