PDA

View Full Version : Wrasse group for a bare bottom

shootingstar
08-28-2011, 08:07 PM
Interested in adding a group of maybe 3 wrasses but I know many need a sand bed.

Looking for suggestions for maybe 3 (or 4 max) wrasses that would manage in a barebottom 6 foot covered tank.

thanks much in advance

monocus
08-28-2011, 11:37 PM
harliquin tusk x3

kien
08-29-2011, 07:04 AM
Interested in adding a group of maybe 3 wrasses but I know many need a sand bed.

Looking for suggestions for maybe 3 (or 4 max) wrasses that would manage in a barebottom 6 foot covered tank.

thanks much in advance

My hawaiian flame, solarensis, potters, banana and mystery wrasses all do not sleep in the sandbed. I do have a sandbed but they sleep in caves or under rocks.

shootingstar
08-30-2011, 02:54 AM
Thanks Kein, some good suggestions there, much appreciated.:biggrin:

whatcaneyedo
08-30-2011, 04:06 AM
Both of my Halichoeres chrysus (banana wrasse?) on the other hand always slept and hid in the sand bed. So does my current ornatissimus.

fishytime
08-30-2011, 04:44 AM
reading the content of the thread left me disappointed after the title:twised::wink:.......

kidding aside....... some of the nicest (IMHO) wrasses are bare bottom wrasses......you can add pretty much all of the fairy wrasses to that list.....Im not sure about some of the others on that list as being do-able in groups....perhaps if added all at once????

kien
08-30-2011, 04:47 AM
My Halichoeres chrysus (Canary Wrasse- but sometimes referred to as Banana Wrasse), also sleeps in the sand. In fact he is always the first to burrow into his "sand bed".

The Banana Wrasse I mentioned earlier is actually the Thalassoma Lutescens. Although I don't think you can put Thalassoma's in a group.

shootingstar
08-30-2011, 07:17 PM
fisytime - no problem, I chuckled a bit myself when I typed the title.

they will all be added at once, hence the need to compile a list of the 3 or so that are going to be the wrasse-group.

Since the tank is BB I can't really put fish that like to dig down to sleep etc. but I have also read that the ones that burrow (when stressed or to sleep) fare much worse when shipped because they can't deal with their stress by hiding in sand when in a plastic bag.

Since everything has to be shipped in thought it might be the best way to go

cathy

Myka
08-30-2011, 08:36 PM
So...how big is the tank? What other inhabitants are there?

Jeez guys you should know better by now than recommending without the basic info first! :p

shootingstar
08-30-2011, 09:06 PM

Jeez guys you should know better by now than recommending without the basic info first! :p

As per the first message, it is a 6 foot fully covered.
Perhaps they already knew/remembered from other threads.

135g in the Dt and 50g sump

existing are:
sailfin tang, tomato clown (hosted in H.crispa), 2 cromis, red firefish and a pink spot goby.
2 skunk cleaners and a coral banded shrimp plus the usual assortment of snails and hermits.

note to all.......please.......
before launching the tang meltdown I am stuck with him, tried for 1.5 years to find him a new home and there is seriously only half a dozen folks into salt water where I live. Finally gave up and launched the whole upgrade last winter because of that one fish. Can't bring myself to flush a healthy fish just cause he's not convienent.

fishytime
08-30-2011, 09:17 PM

Jeez Mindy......maybe you should read more better too:razz::wink::biggrin:

Perhaps a question that should be ask tho is, do you want three different wrasse or a group of the same kind?

shootingstar
08-30-2011, 09:34 PM
Perhaps a question that should be ask tho is, do you want three different wrasse or a group of the same kind?[/quote]

Three different (that can tolerate each other) and the more gaudy the better :lol:, life is too short for just vanilla.

c

Myka
08-30-2011, 10:48 PM

Perhaps a question that should be ask tho is, do you want three different wrasse or a group of the same kind?

As per the first message, it is a 6 foot fully covered.
Perhaps they already knew/remembered from other threads.

135g in the Dt and 50g sump

existing are:
sailfin tang, tomato clown (hosted in H.crispa), 2 cromis, red firefish and a pink spot goby.
2 skunk cleaners and a coral banded shrimp plus the usual assortment of snails and hermits.

A 6 foot tank doesn't say how big the tank is. That's only one dimension! :neutral:

A new wrasse wouldn't be too concerned about any of your current fish, but some of the more assertive wrasses should be avoided.

Most fairy wrasses co-exist nicely and aren't too hard on the wallet. A trio of Flame Wrasses would be awesome, but pricey. I have a trio of McCosker's in my 90 that are fun to watch. They are my favourite besides the Flame Wrasses.

Doooooooooooooood, I saw 6 foot...

kien
08-30-2011, 10:53 PM

basic info (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77440)

Myka
08-30-2011, 11:19 PM
You serious think I'm going to do a CanReef search to find out the basic info on someone's tank when they are the one asking the questions? What are you smokin? :p

fishytime
08-30-2011, 11:54 PM

Three different (that can tolerate each other) and the more gaudy the better :lol:, life is too short for just vanilla.

c[/QUOTE]

oh, see.....when you said a group I assumed you meant like a harem.........ok, different wrasses is easy.......I had a trio of blackfin fairy wrasses with a lineatus fairy wrasse and a mystery wrasse and all seemed to get along just fine......if you go a similar route, add the fairy wrasses first and the mystery/4 line/6 line/8 line after the fairies and after any shrimp that you think you want......

Cmon Mindy......how many people have a 6 foot 50g tank???:razz: