PDA

View Full Version : Tank Smells!!!!

MarkoD
08-28-2011, 03:35 AM
so for a couple days now one of my fish just disappeared.... im assuming it died but i cant find it anywhere.

I've spent hours looking for it.

i was out all day and i get home and my whole basement smells. i dont even know what it smells like (felt really hot and humid and smelled like ocean or soemthing)

i run 2 large bags of carbon but it doesnt help.

any advice?

bignose
08-28-2011, 03:56 AM
carbon

MKLKT
08-28-2011, 03:58 AM
Any dead spots on the surface or areas where algae/filter floss/animals are touching the air? I've only ever had my tank noticeably smell when my macro started growing out of the water and when exposing xenia family corals to the air (they are awful!)

MarkoD
08-28-2011, 04:00 AM
Any dead spots on the surface or areas where algae/filter floss/animals are touching the air? I've only ever had my tank noticeably smell when my macro started growing out of the water and when exposing xenia family corals to the air (they are awful!)

Actually yeah!!! Recently my cheato started floating.

Thanks for that.

Anyone have any idea what I should do about the disappeared (probably dead) fish?

MKLKT
08-28-2011, 04:02 AM
The fish could possibly be stuck somewhere from jumping and uh... cooking during the day while you were out. If it happened in the tank and you have any substantial clean up crew it'd likely be completely gone.

MarkoD
08-28-2011, 04:03 AM
The fish could possibly be stuck somewhere from jumping and uh... cooking during the day while you were out. If it happened in the tank and you have any substantial clean up crew it'd likely be completely gone.

No way the fish could be out of water. My canopy completely encloses the top

randallino
08-28-2011, 06:09 AM
Are you running pellets, I had a major mulm bloom and it stunk like stale-stagnant water.
Good luck

MarkoD
08-28-2011, 08:12 AM
Nope no Pellets

Cal_stir
08-28-2011, 12:19 PM
is it the water that smells? take a cupful to a room that doesn't smell and smell it.

MarkoD
08-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Honestly I don't think it's the water. When I get close I can't smell anything. And when I'm crouching under the stand I can't smell anything, but when I stand up I can smell it

Cal_stir
08-28-2011, 03:29 PM
could the fish be stuck somewhere in your canopy, rotting.

MarkoD
08-28-2011, 05:03 PM
could the fish be stuck somewhere in your canopy, rotting.

i made sure its not. not anywhere out of water. not in the overflow

i did smell the water in another room and it did have a slight oder

Cal_stir
08-28-2011, 05:43 PM
sounds like the fish is rotting somewhere in the tank, do you have any AMQUEL or AMMO-LOCK?

MarkoD
08-28-2011, 07:14 PM
No what's that gonna do

Cal_stir
08-28-2011, 08:19 PM
it will lock up the amonnia and prevent it from harming your system until it can be removed via skimming, water changes, etc.
i keep a small bottle on hand at all times for just such an emergency.

blacknife
08-28-2011, 09:13 PM
Do. You run a dehumidifier? My. Basement. Got lots of funny smells with the tank down there last year. I do not have a dehumidifier but leave the windows down there open and it only smells once in a while. No smells in winter.

MarkoD
08-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Do. You run a dehumidifier? My. Basement. Got lots of funny smells with the tank down there last year. I do not have a dehumidifier but leave the windows down there open and it only smells once in a while. No smells in winter.

no, i just keep the windows open and the smell goes away.

overnight the humidity in my house gets to 70%... during the day while the windows are open its around 50%

MarkoD
08-28-2011, 09:43 PM
it will lock up the amonnia and prevent it from harming your system until it can be removed via skimming, water changes, etc.
i keep a small bottle on hand at all times for just such an emergency.

im not to worried about one dead fish causing an ammonia spike.... i have 250 gallons total volume and about 250 pounds of live rock