PDA

View Full Version : How to do a reef tank water change

tprowse0804
08-27-2011, 06:10 PM
As an experienced freshwater keeper, I would simply clean the glass and then syphon out water and use a hose to fill it adding a few drops of water conditioner while I'm doing it. But, it seems to be the general rule that salt water systems(especially reef tanks) tend to be more finicky.
My thought is:
Premix a pail of water that is conditioned and salted, then poor it in.
Is this right?

Flash
08-27-2011, 06:23 PM
I usually mix it a day ahead... test the salinity and add prime... that's about it! I am sure many people will have a bunch of different ways of doing it! depends on the size of water change. On my 90gl I do a 20% change out. so it's more then just a bucket!

kien
08-27-2011, 07:43 PM
Your approach is correct. It really isn't that much different from fresh water. Remove old salt water add new salt water ( of the same salinity and temperature).

lastlight
08-27-2011, 07:55 PM
What's with adding Prime? Isn't that for tap-water? Or are you using tap-water?

DiverDude
08-27-2011, 08:30 PM
I would use RO/DI water but some people get away with tap water and prime (depending on your local water).

One thing I learnt fast is to forget about pouring water into a reef tank unless it's a small quantity. Even in my little tank, I do 5 gals at a time and it's to heavy and you have to pur too slowly to avoid stirring up all the sand.

I siphon the water out and pump in the new water after it's circulated for at least a day in a bucket.

Flash
08-27-2011, 08:35 PM
yup I use tap water! have been for 5 years! never had a problem! We also use tap water in the store without a problem!

monocus
08-27-2011, 10:08 PM
i always add my water into my sump return-that way it doesn't disturb the display

skabooya
08-27-2011, 10:53 PM
I use tap water as well. I remove whatever water out of the tank. Fill up buckets with tap water and mix in the salt. Test salinity then dump it in.
I have FW tanks too and its all the same, except for adding the salt.

Nara1
08-27-2011, 11:00 PM
Just wondering, does everyone do water changes?

Aquattro
08-28-2011, 12:56 AM
Just wondering, does everyone do water changes?

It's highly recommended, but no, not everyone does. If you choose not to, it's best to have a real reason not to, and know the risks and benefits. Being cheap on salt isn't a good reason :)

MKLKT
08-28-2011, 01:10 AM
I don't. I maybe do a refresh of about 20% every 6 months but that hardly counts as a water change.

When I do it I have two extra large rubbermaid containers, I fill one with DI water (don't have an RO unit but I do have a tester and the tap water here is like <100 TDS anyway) and mix the salt with a heater until it's tank temperature. I siphon a full amount's worth into the empty 2nd container and then use a small Quietone 1000 to pump the fresh mix into the tank. It's fast enough and can do a large volume without disturbing the animals or wrecking your back having to lift anything.

tprowse0804
08-29-2011, 02:20 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. Am I rushing this first water change? The tank has been setup for 3 weeks. My main reason for doing a waterchange is the diatoms on the sand and daily glass cleaning to control green algae.
Should I wait on the water change? Am I disrupting the natural cycling? Am I rushing this water change?

Parker
08-29-2011, 02:30 PM
I have a couple to rubbermaids plumbed together with a pump and hooked up to my RO/DI. Dump salt in and let it mix for awhile.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa180/RParker_07/Tank%20Build/IMG_1942.jpg

Hook the hose up to this fitting to pump water out of the tank:
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa180/RParker_07/Tank%20Build/IMG_2634.jpg

Then I reverse the hose and hook it to the plumbing on the water change station to pump water back to the tank.

A bit on the slow side but it works our well and I don't have to carry water.

Gripenfelter
08-29-2011, 03:21 PM
This is my routine:

Clean glass.

Drain out 6% of water (weekly water changes) by siphoning out water from the BOTTOM of the tank (Ammonia and poo is heavier than water).

Rinse out and clean filter media in old saltwater.

Mix new saltwater, add prime. Let sit for 10-15 mins.

Slowly add new water to sump, not directly to the display tank. I killed my waving hand xenias by adding directly to the tank. Different PH and water temp I guess.

H22_TURBO
08-29-2011, 03:32 PM
what kind of hose fitting is that parker? hard to tell from the pic.

syncro
08-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Am I rushing this first water change? The tank has been setup for 3 weeks. Am I disrupting the natural cycling? Am I rushing this water change?

Water changes are fine.

Soft cycling is where you attempt to keep the life on your live rock alive with frequent water changes:
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=180442

You might be able to speed up your cycle by starting water changes after the ammonia spike (which you are probably past now):
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=202427
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=206500&st=40

Diatoms and algae are likely due to excess nutrients in your system. Three ways to remove excess nutrients: biological filter, skimmer, water changes. Hope that helps.

tprowse0804
08-29-2011, 08:20 PM
Water changes are fine.

Soft cycling is where you attempt to keep the life on your live rock alive with frequent water changes:
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=180442

You might be able to speed up your cycle by starting water changes after the ammonia spike (which you are probably past now):
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=202427
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=206500&st=40

Diatoms and algae are likely due to excess nutrients in your system. Three ways to remove excess nutrients: biological filter, skimmer, water changes. Hope that helps.
Very much. Thank you.

Parker
08-30-2011, 06:32 PM
what kind of hose fitting is that parker? hard to tell from the pic.

I found it at Rona on the southside, it was in the plumbing section in the bins with all of the spigots. It's 100% poly / nylon you open and close it with a flat head screw driver. 1/2 NPT on one side threaded for a standard hose on the other.

fishytime
08-30-2011, 06:34 PM
Your not using regular garden hose are ya Robb?

Parker
08-31-2011, 12:04 AM
Yup, I did see it mentioned once that I should probably use one suitable for potable water like those for RV's, but haven't picked one up yet.

Myka
08-31-2011, 12:46 AM
I vacuum the sand on every waterchange. Sucking out all the detritus from everywhere is very important imo otherwise the detritus will break down into phosphate and nitrate causing algae issues. When I was out of town from Jan-July I had a maintenance company do waterchanges and all he did was remove old water, add new water. Now my tank is covered in cyano, and I am having to do a lot of work to get it back in top shape. Imo, sucking the water out and adding new water isn't sufficient.

Here's my method:

1. As soon as I'm done the last water change I fill the water change tub back up with fresh RO/DI water, add salt, add supplements (calcium, potassium, and magnesium) to get them at the right numbers. I use a 20 gallon Rubbermaid tub and a Mag 3 to mix.

2. In 24 hours the water is ready in case of emergency.

3. Unplug return pump, powerheads, and ATO. Leave skimmer running, but take cup off (it will overflow when I refill sump).

4. Siphon the detritus out of the overflow, then use a pump to siphon the detritus out of the sump. This goes into a bucket.

5. Use gravel vacuum to clean all of the sand. Pinch hose every once in awhile to let sand settle out of the tube instead of getting sucked out into the bucket. It is inevitable to suck some sand out. It is usually a full 5 gallon bucket to clean the overflow, the sump, and the sand.

6. Let detritus settle in the bucket, pour off the water into the drain keeping sandy detritus. You can either scoop the detritus out into the garbage (you don't want the bits of sand in your drains) or do what I do which is; refill bucket halfway with tap water, let it settle, and pour it off again. Then refill bucket and pour it all onto the garden plants. You can skip this step. :lol:

7. Once the sand has all been cleaned, I setup a drain hose to a floor drain and drain out the rest of the volume. I change 10 gallons every week or 15 gallons every 2 weeks...whichever happens.

8. Hook drain hose to Mag 3 pump that's in the tub of new saltwater. Pump new saltwater into the sump. When the sump is almost full I turn the retun pump back on. The return pump is faster than the Mag 3 so when the sump is empty I unplug it, and let the Mag 3 catch up again. Once it's full the return stays on, and I plug the ATO and powerheads back in. I put the skimmer cup back on.

Voila. 10 minutes.

FWIW, I use vinyl hose.

fishytime
08-31-2011, 12:49 AM
Yup, I did see it mentioned once that I should probably use one suitable for potable water like those for RV's, but haven't picked one up yet.

ya......you know that funny taste you get when you take a drink from the garden hose?........probably not the best thing to transport water to your tank.....

Milad
08-31-2011, 02:13 AM
My water change steps for with my new fish room which is half complete is going to be the following:

Flip a switch to stop water flowing into water change reservoir
Flip a switch to dump reservoir
Dump premade amount of salt into resrvoir
Come back next day and flip switch to let water flow back into reservoir

The only thing I can come up with to make it easier is somehow automate the adding of the salt but I seriously dont have any good ideas for it without making it too complicated and finicky

apexifd
08-31-2011, 02:43 AM
My water change steps for with my new fish room which is half complete is going to be the following:

Flip a switch to stop water flowing into water change reservoir
Flip a switch to dump reservoir
Dump premade amount of salt into resrvoir
Come back next day and flip switch to let water flow back into reservoir

The only thing I can come up with to make it easier is somehow automate the adding of the salt but I seriously dont have any good ideas for it without making it too complicated and finicky

controller with salinity probe??

Milad
08-31-2011, 04:53 AM
controller with salinity probe??

Salinity probes are insanely expensive in my opinion.

apexifd
08-31-2011, 04:56 AM
Salinity probes are insanely expensive in my opinion.

it's a $300 accessory. but, it can be full automation on your water changing station.