PDA

View Full Version : Apex controller

Palmer
08-27-2011, 04:30 PM
Hi there,

I am thinking of getting an apex controller in the future and looked at the manual online and was wondering about the installation to a router.

I have my system in my basement but my PC and router are upstairs on the second floor of my house. Is there a way to have the apex controller plug into something to then pick up the wireless network in my house?

Palmer

Aquattro
08-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Yes, you can use a wireless game port apparently. Do you have the real manual or the unofficial manual? The latter goes into a bit more detail...

http://reeftech.webs.com/

Palmer
08-27-2011, 04:33 PM
I think I was looking at the real manual online. I will look further into it when I purchase but I was just hoping I didnt have to have a PC and router in the basement because if that was the case I probably wouldnt get it.

Thanks for the info that is what I was hoping to hear.

Palmer

cwatkins
08-27-2011, 05:24 PM
You can probably safely ignore the manual from Neptune and use the Un-Official guide instead (although it wouldn't hurt to read both!). It's exteremely comprehensive and helps you through various setup options.

Personally, I've run a network cable to my basement then to my aquarium. That way I didn't have to mess around with the wireless configuration. Also, when upgrading firmware, etc, it's best that you hardwire it.

My network cable is a light beige colour so I've run it around the room against the floorboards and it blends in with the carpet.

Never had any real issues yet doing it this way.

Good luck! The hardest part is setting up port forwarding on your router and setting up DynDns.com so you can access it from outside of you home.

Funky_Fish14
08-27-2011, 06:33 PM
Yeah you could run a cable from 2nd floor down to basement through something like a cold air return (that is probably continuous all the way down). Reduces effort to run it and holes to be made. But you dont need the computer or router nearby, no.

Aquattro
08-27-2011, 06:36 PM
Good luck! The hardest part is setting up port forwarding on your router and setting up DynDns.com so you can access it from outside of you home.

I just set port forwarding for http, then connect to the IP of my router. No DynDNS required. My IP stays pretty static, so if you have one that changes a lot, then it might be something to look at?

Palmer
08-28-2011, 12:07 AM
I just set port forwarding for http, then connect to the IP of my router. No DynDNS required. My IP stays pretty static, so if you have one that changes a lot, then it might be something to look at?

Does not compute Does not compute :lol: This networking stuff is like a different language to me.

But it does sound like I have a couple of options to consider once I decide to take the plunge.

Cugio
08-28-2011, 12:16 AM
Palmer, I could give you a hand with networking it. :wink:

Palmer
08-28-2011, 02:57 AM
Thanks Donny! I am looking for this to be a Christmas present to me so I will definitly contact you when I get it. :lol:

PoonTang
08-28-2011, 03:42 AM
Ive got one and have it hooked up wirelessly to my PC and the net. Its not that hard if you read through the "unofficial" guide mentioned earlier. And if you get stuck there is lots of help here and also on RC in the Neptune forum. Thats where the real experts live. :)