PDA

View Full Version : Shark egg?

whaase
01-29-2004, 11:18 PM
I was in Big Al's today and I noticed in one of their tanks with snails they had 2 shark egg's for sale. They were about the size of a small potato and blueish in color. They cost $30. What in the world would you do with them? They won't hatch I'd imagine!?

Walter

spikehs
01-29-2004, 11:39 PM
actually they do usually hatch, they are generally bambo sharks (someone correct me if i am wrong!). Although they are more golden brown in color then blue...... maybe it is a diff kind.

whaase
01-29-2004, 11:44 PM
actually they do usually hatch, they are generally bambo sharks (someone correct me if i am wrong!). Although they are more golden brown in color then blue...... maybe it is a diff kind.

:eek: Hmmm, I didn't know that. How big do they get?

Walter

Delphinus
01-29-2004, 11:45 PM
Oh, they'll hatch. Of course it's not guaranteed, but the baby banded cat they have in there right now ... was another egg a few weeks ago.

Bear in mind though, even though they are some of the smaller sharks, you still need a LARGE dedicated setup for them as they progress into adulthood.

Scott Michael recommends something like the tank size needs to be 1-1.5 times their length for depth (i.e. front-to-back) and at least 2-3 times their length for width. Factor in most small sharks are still ~30"-40", and factor in your favourite tank height, then do the math, you're talking about a >120g gallon minimum tank size (and that's "minimum"). Don't quote me on the exact specifics, but instead, do a search on "Scott Michael" if you're interested in learning more. He's written numerous articles (both online and print) plus has a book "Sharks and Rays."

Bottom line, you gotta know what you're doing. They get huge. And how do find a home for a 4' fish (i.e., you don't). The 1.5-2 and 2-3 "length factors" (and don't quote me on the exact numbers but it's something like that) are based on the fact that the fish needs that to be able to turn around comfortably in the tank. And the tank should ideally be unencumbered with too much decorations/live rock/etc.

Very cool animals though. Very cool.

In my "ultimate long term plans" I am hoping to one day have a setup for an Epaulette shark or perhaps a pair. This is WAY down the road. :mrgreen: Epaulettes are perhaps the smallest sharks, topping out at somewhere near the 28"-30" range if I am not mistaken.

Delphinus
01-29-2004, 11:47 PM
Oh, BTW in answer to your question, banded cats (which is what the egg is) top out at around 36" or so.

There is an article in this months AFM magazine by Scott Michael, if you're interested, where he talks about how-to's and don't-s of keeping sharks in aquaria. Very high level overview though, for more thorough reading try to get ahold of his book.

UnderWorldAquatics
01-29-2004, 11:51 PM
I have tried raising bamboo shark eggs, I have hatched and reared 4 out of 5 eggs. they are all doing well in a 2500 gallon tank...

I keep them in mild current with mild lighting, they love tiger prawn, baby clam, and any other smelly seafood once hatched